Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   what skid cover is this? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/291742-what-skid-cover.html)

mendozer 11-05-2020 07:46 PM

what skid cover is this?

2 Attachment(s)
Putting things back from a long overhaul and I don't recognize this panel LOL. I removed the basic skid plate and fuel filter covering. I don't recognize this.

FYI I worked under the engine, fuel filter, rear diff, driveshaft.

Kanoe 11-05-2020 08:00 PM

In the front wheel well I think. Drivers side on a 3rz but that looks shaped for the passenger side. Maybe 5vz is different.

Niteghost 11-05-2020 08:38 PM

Yeah I believe that goes in the passenger side wheel well.

HiluxSurf SSR-G 11-06-2020 07:46 AM

it's the seal between the body and the chassis, LH side beside the shock tower

96RedRunner 11-06-2020 08:30 AM

Felt goes to engine side so that's RH side rearward of strut tower. My 5VZ is on LH side.
Wouldn't mind having one for R side, Thanks for posting, didn't know such a thing available..

Edit: Second pic has road grime & undercoating = wheel side. Wonder what got this put on RS ?
My 01 LTD on DS, 96Red LTD had soft rubber 4 sides. Both 5VZ.

phattyduck 11-06-2020 01:52 PM

I thought I had a picture of it on my 4Runner... turns out it was removed in the pic... it goes in the open space behind the shock tower:

https://i.imgur.com/SemurwHh.jpg

-Charlie

mendozer 11-06-2020 02:29 PM

awesome thanks everyone for the answers. I'll get that on today!. I must have removed it to get to the engine block coolant plug

HiluxSurf SSR-G 11-06-2020 10:29 PM

seems like the the foam seal was left and has attached to the ladder frame

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3563929)
I thought I had a picture of it on my 4Runner... turns out it was removed in the pic... it goes in the open space behind the shock tower:

-Charlie

96RedRunner 11-06-2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiluxSurf SSR-G (Post 3564107)
seems like the the foam seal was left and has attached to the ladder frame

Foam is taped to frame rail on purpose no idea what purpose is.

HiluxSurf SSR-G 11-06-2020 11:22 PM

i thought it was taped to the fender apron plastic cover because when i removed mine, it came with the plastic cover

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96RedRunner (Post 3564114)
Foam is taped to frame rail on purpose no idea what purpose is.

96RedRunner 11-06-2020 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiluxSurf SSR-G (Post 3564121)
i thought it was taped to the fender apron plastic cover because when i removed mine, it came with the plastic cover

Lol, who knows where it should be taped, maybe yours built on Friday or Monday or mine, 2 so far taped to frame mine n phattyduck's.

96RedRunner 11-06-2020 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mendozer (Post 3563945)
I'll get that on today!. I must have removed it to get to the engine block coolant plug

My local Ace carries the fasteners yours probably.
Coolant plug sounds right or starter.

mendozer 11-07-2020 05:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ok at the risk of being an idiot...it still wouldn't go anywhere. I checked my driver side to compare but nothings there. On my passenger side I have two of the soft flaps with those pull out buttons. One in front of the shock tower and one behind. And I looked at the triangular piece and couldn't make it line up with anything.

Kanoe 11-07-2020 06:33 PM

Are you sure it doesn’t go in the drivers wheel well exactly where Charlie said? It sure looks like that part to me.

If you look at Charlie’s photo, it goes behind the spring, not above it. That coil of brake line should not be visible once the cover is in place.

Edit: I’m positive it fits in there, fuzzy side in. Oddly my 96 does not have the fuzzy fabric.

4Runner4Leon 11-08-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mendozer (Post 3564283)
ok at the risk of being an idiot...it still wouldn't go anywhere. I checked my driver side to compare but nothings there. On my passenger side I have two of the soft flaps with those pull out buttons. One in front of the shock tower and one behind. And I looked at the triangular piece and couldn't make it line up with anything.

It goes on the driver side, behind the wheel, exactly where Charlie showed. Felt side towards the engine. Just like this (I have an all rubber shield installed in its place because of the body lift):

https://i.imgur.com/S6APPBp.jpg