Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Passenger seat removal (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/291873-passenger-seat-removal.html)

Atomiklan 11-11-2020 05:22 AM

Passenger seat removal

5th Gen 2018 TRD Off Road Premium

Has anyone ever removed their front passenger seat? Is there a safe procedure for doing so? Does it void any warranties or break anything (computer, sensors, etc)? I am concerned due to the airbag. I'd like to remove the front passenger seat temporarily for a long distance road trip to increase storage space but I am nervous doing so. If several others have taken theirs out and put back with no issues what so ever, then I will feel much better about the operation. Thanks!

97BlackAckCL 11-11-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomiklan (Post 3565505)

Has anyone ever removed their front passenger seat? Is there a safe procedure for doing so? Does it void any warranties or break anything (computer, sensors, etc)? I am concerned due to the airbag. I'd like to remove the front passenger seat temporarily for a long distance road trip to increase storage space but I am nervous doing so. If several others have taken theirs out and put back with no issues what so ever, then I will feel much better about the operation. Thanks!

Super easy and shouldn't void anything. The best thing to be safe with the airbag is to remove the battery cables and let the system charge dissipate before removing the seat. The seat is 4 bolts and a few wire harnesses, definitely shouldn't be hard to remove, however the car may throw some warning lights if you have the airbag unplugged

4rNCMTNs 11-11-2020 03:05 PM

yup both front seats are super simple. 4 bolts and 2-3 electrical connectors underneath. It's absolutely nothing to be scared of.

oneshot808 11-13-2020 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4rNCMTNs (Post 3565660)
yup both front seats are super simple. 4 bolts and 2-3 electrical connectors underneath. It's absolutely nothing to be scared of.

do you disconnect battery each time?

Atomiklan 11-13-2020 05:44 AM

Thank you everyone. I may give it a try this weekend.

4rNCMTNs 11-13-2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneshot808 (Post 3566337)
do you disconnect battery each time?

I never have. In my '19 with the seat heaters, there are 3 connectors under each seat, just need to be aware to not touch the connectors to anything else which is not hard.

I have removed the seats many times to install sound deadening material, new wire to back of vehicle, amp under driver seat, etc. It's all quite simple

jcrown7 11-14-2020 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomiklan (Post 3565505)

Has anyone ever removed their front passenger seat?

It's only 4 bolts holding the seat to the floor and 3 electrical connections underneath. Super easy.
https://bit.ly/32MfJKd

I take the F/R seats out when deep-cleaning the interior.

Timkins 11-14-2020 10:54 PM

After taking the passenger seat out, how hard would it be to raise the seats with spacers so my wife can see out over the hood?

JD-241 11-15-2020 04:28 AM

The easiest way would probably be seat jackers. Desert Does It I think is the company that makes them, not sure if anyone else does. IIRC it'll probably run you ~$150/seat.

skag1T 11-23-2022 06:48 PM

I am interested to remove the passenger seat as well, but permanently - or at least for a long time (during a few months' trip, etc.).

I understand this will create issues ? I have a 2018 SR5.

Grug556 11-24-2022 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timkins (Post 3566975)
After taking the passenger seat out, how hard would it be to raise the seats with spacers so my wife can see out over the hood?

You could have her sit on a few phone books? Or maybe if she wants fresh air strap her to the grill Mad Max style? :pound:

Charlievee 11-24-2022 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skag1T (Post 3771589)
I am interested to remove the passenger seat as well, but permanently - or at least for a long time (during a few months' trip, etc.).

I understand this will create issues ? I have a 2018 SR5.

What issues? Four bolts an a connector.

emmantik 11-24-2022 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlievee (Post 3771704)
What issues? Four bolts an a connector.

The issue may be you have a passenger airbag light/notification flashing - assuming you don't reinstall the seat...?!?

skag1T 11-26-2022 08:01 PM

Re: long term or permanently removing the passenger seat

I understand the seat is easy to remove.

I am asking the community if this will create any issues with the vehicle computer, besides the passenger airbag light.

Some people I talked to aboiut this told me not to do it because it will mess up the car.

Has anybody removed this seat on a 5th gen for long periods of time ?

Thanks!

187motorsports 11-29-2022 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skag1T (Post 3771990)
Re: long term or permanently removing the passenger seat

I understand the seat is easy to remove.

I am asking the community if this will create any issues with the vehicle computer, besides the passenger airbag light.

Some people I talked to aboiut this told me not to do it because it will mess up the car.

Has anybody removed this seat on a 5th gen for long periods of time ?

Thanks!

I'm curious about this question also. I've read people saying it fries the computer for the airbags driving with the seat removed. Be nice to get clarification if that's true or not.