Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   New (limited-run) wheels, would you buy four or five? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/292135-new-limited-run-wheels-would-you-buy-four-five.html)

PCMSF 11-19-2020 07:03 PM

New (limited-run) wheels, would you buy four or five?

If you were buying a new set of aftermarket wheels that typically sell out, and the manufacturer cannot guarantee you can easily order a replacement in the same size/color/offset/backspacing, would you buy an extra?

Reasons to buy a fifth wheel I can think of:
  • A wheel gets damaged on the trail (unlikely for me, but possible)
  • A wheel has a warranty issue and no remaining stock available
  • Running a 5 tire rotation
  • Upgrading your spare OR mounting on a rear hitch mount
Reasons not to buy a fifth wheel
  • I've never damaged a wheel
  • I don't know anyone personally that has damaged a wheel
  • Waste of money?
Thoughts?

DMV4runner 11-19-2020 07:26 PM

I think you answered your own question.
Grab 5 while you can.

RichinRidgewood 11-19-2020 07:30 PM

I would buy 6 and leave 1 in the box.

1jzgte 11-19-2020 07:33 PM

dont be a sucker. "limited-run" is a term to get your heart racing and anxious to spend more money without thinking twice about it.

Jetboy 11-19-2020 07:35 PM

Unless they're something very unusual or unique for something that's hard to find like a 7 lug ford wheel and you had a reason to keep a 7 lug ford around - I would buy from a manufacturer who I know will keep a stock of replacements if I need one.

uh0h50 11-19-2020 07:49 PM

Which of the SCS wheels are you looking at?

PCMSF 11-19-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jzgte (Post 3569111)
dont be a sucker. "limited-run" is a term to get your heart racing and anxious to spend more money without thinking twice about it.

Ha, fair. Limited run is my description, not theirs. But I've been waiting 4 months for these to come back in stock in 0 offset so they are essentially unavailable unless you buy them when freshly back in stock.

PCMSF 11-19-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uh0h50 (Post 3569117)

Relations RR5-S in black, 0 offset, they typically sell out quickly RR5-S 17" Hub centric Offroad Wheel for Toyota Tacoma 4Runner | RRW - Relations Race Wheels

mrblah 11-19-2020 08:44 PM

limited run....hahahaa....

marketing to impulsive buyers.

PCMSF 11-19-2020 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrblah (Post 3569135)
limited run....hahahaa....

Should have been clear that "limited-run" is my description not their description.

The manufacturer makes a limited number of wheels and then those wheels quickly sell out, and then it takes a while for them to come back in stock.

Same deal with SCS, FN, etc.

redneckj 11-19-2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCMSF (Post 3569126)
Relations RR5-S in black, 0 offset, they typically sell out quickly RR5-S 17" Hub centric Offroad Wheel for Toyota Tacoma 4Runner | RRW - Relations Race Wheels

That's a good looking wheel. Simple and easy to clean.

s13koop 11-19-2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uh0h50 (Post 3569117)

Lol immediately thought the same.
How did a tacomaworld user describe it....”artificial scarcity”

760Runner 11-19-2020 11:57 PM

Lol just bad business to do limited runs in the long term.... some small time company who markets these sh*t quality rims from China, takes them half a year to get their order in, in some random manufacturing plant next to a rice farm where every other rim from other small time companies are made. Then it takes them another few months to have them shipped on some freight boat to Los Angeles after the boat has made its electronics and cigarette run to North Korea....then from the port of LA some truck drops off this rusted ass shipping container to the front door of some sketchy facility that sits next to a smog shop and random massage parlor like every other LA auto shop. Just so that inventory can sit there and sell out within a few months and make their money, and then they have to wait another half year to put their rim order in for china.

They should be buying up huge work orders and selling them at a fair price so they can grow the business and manufacture some of their work in house like HRE does. But no, they are too worried about their “limited run” marked up rims so they can go blow it all on their hookers during their SEMA trip to Las Vegas. Meanwhile the business isn’t growing because it doesn’t have enough money to pay off the rent that liberal California keeps taxing their property on every year and then their business goes under like every other business in 10 years time because that same Chinese manufacturer who built their rims are now trademark infringing their products on amazon for a fraction of the price

RichinRidgewood 11-20-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 760Runner (Post 3569208)
Lol just bad business to do limited runs in the long term.... some small time company who markets these sh*t quality rims from China, takes them half a year to get their order in, in some random manufacturing plant next to a rice farm where every other rim from other small time companies are made. Then it takes them another few months to have them shipped on some freight boat to Los Angeles after the boat has made its electronics and cigarette run to North Korea....then from the port of LA some truck drops off this rusted ass shipping container to the front door of some sketchy facility that sits next to a smog shop and random massage parlor like every other LA auto shop. Just so that inventory can sit there and sell out within a few months and make their money, and then they have to wait another half year to put their rim order in for china.

They should be buying up huge work orders and selling them at a fair price so they can grow the business and manufacture some of their work in house like HRE does. But no, they are too worried about their “limited run” marked up rims so they can go blow it all on their hookers during their SEMA trip to Las Vegas. Meanwhile the business isn’t growing because it doesn’t have enough money to pay off the rent that liberal California keeps taxing their property on every year and then their business goes under like every other business in 10 years time because that same Chinese manufacturer who built their rims are now trademark infringing their products on amazon for a fraction of the price

Amen for not buying crap products from China

1jzgte 11-20-2020 11:43 AM

How about Motegi MR150 instead? Never heard of Race Relation up til maybe 3 years ago. Motegi has been around much longer and is sold at Discount Tires and Tire Rack. I wouldn't pay that much money for some no name Race Relation. Plus those RR5s are heavier by 4 lbs per wheel.