Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Help! 2020 Smart key system malfunction (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/292207-help-2020-smart-key-system-malfunction.html)

Ry'sRunner 11-22-2020 02:02 AM

Help! 2020 Smart key system malfunction

Can't start my 2020 PRO, starter turns over fine, plenty of power, but it won't start. Can't get into the 'on' mode, only acc. Console warning says 'Smart Key System Malfunction' see owners manual.

Keyless entry works as normal.

Anyone have this happen? Any thoughts?

And it happened on a friend's ranch an hour from town.

Saker 11-22-2020 02:15 AM

Not being a smartazzz, what does the manual state?

llDemonll 11-22-2020 02:25 AM

Call dealership, let them deal with it. It's a brand new car, if it needs to be in the shop they can tow it there on their dime.

It's under warranty, take advantage of it.

Ry'sRunner 11-22-2020 03:19 AM

What the manual says:

●If the following message is shown, there may be a malfunction.
Immediately have the vehicle inspected by your Toyota dealer.
• “Smart Key System Malfunction See Owner’s Manual”

Fortunately I'm only an hour away, Monday i was going to be hunting in a little more remote. Not too happy with this development....

fixer5000 11-22-2020 07:06 AM

did you try holding the remote close to the push button?? if that works you need new remote batteries

moneypit 11-22-2020 11:18 AM

Smart key battery

Witnessed a demo where the battery was removed from the remote. Obviously the door functions did not work but, holding the remote next to the start button did allow the car to start. Not sure if that message showed. Try it, it may work until you get to the dealer. FYI batteries are easy to change, info in manual, and much cheaper on Amazon then the dealer.

Ry'sRunner 11-22-2020 12:09 PM

Have tried both remotes with the same results. Starter engages, but the engine won't turn over. It appears the remote is 'talking' to the truck, but some security in the system is not disengaged.

t6pilot 11-22-2020 09:06 PM

Are there any electronic devices nearby, I ask because some RF signals can interfere with remotes
My BMW 1200rt with smart key gets confused at mobil stations that have the fast pass key

DallasTRDPro 11-22-2020 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t6pilot (Post 3570292)
Are there any electronic devices nearby, I ask because some RF signals can interfere with remotes
My BMW 1200rt with smart key gets confused at mobil stations that have the fast pass key

I remember when a key fob for my apartment disabled my Xterra. Not a smart key, but it baffled everyone until they brought an engineer in from Japan.