Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   4th Gen vs 3rd Gen (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/292242-4th-gen-vs-3rd-gen.html)

denvermaxd 11-22-2020 10:08 PM

4th Gen vs 3rd Gen

I own a 2000 SR5 manual supercharged. I love this truck. She is my baby and is just a relentlessly reliable vehicle.

I’m shopping for another 4Runner, but third gen trucks are just stupidly priced here in Colorado. I’m seeing 4th gen 4runners for what I consider to be much more reasonable and fair prices.

All you 4th gen owners, are your trucks as reliable and easy to maintain as the 3rd gen? Are there “watch out fors” I should be mindful of as I include 4th gen in my search?

Thanks!

andreylights 11-22-2020 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denvermaxd (Post 3570323)
I own a 2000 SR5 manual supercharged. I love this truck. She is my baby and is just a relentlessly reliable vehicle.

I’m shopping for another 4Runner, but third gen trucks are just stupidly priced here in Colorado. I’m seeing 4th gen 4runners for what I consider to be much more reasonable and fair prices.

All you 4th gen owners, are your trucks as reliable and easy to maintain as the 3rd gen? Are there “watch out fors” I should be mindful of as I include 4th gen in my search?

Thanks!

3rd Gen vs 4th Gen - Pros/Cons

pros and cons 3rd vs 4th gen

Long term reliability - How are the 4th gen trucks comparing to the 3rd gen?

Pre-Purchase Info, Modifications, Write-Ups, Quick Links, and FAQ's

What to look for? (Buying a 4th Gen)

Buying a 4th Gen Tips? Suggestions on current

montijo505 11-22-2020 10:30 PM

I'd look for a solid V8 version. But I currently have a v6 with 159k that runs like a top with basic maintenance. You'll find they are a bit roomier but also a bit bigger on the trail. They work, period. There's many on here well into the high 200k some even over 300k.

The one big thing is make sure the 4x4 works. Actuator tends to stick/freeze if not used consistently. Make sure everything engages smoothly. Also look for 06 and newer production as 03-late 05 were hit or miss for head gasket issues. 06 build dates and newer got a redesign. Stating the obvious but check for frame rust. Those are the main things I hear buyers complain about that didn't do a good look before buying. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Jayson44 11-23-2020 12:35 PM

I have a v8 & live just west of Golden up in the mountains. the "AWD" of the v8 is really awesome in the snow. I've been a Jeep guy for 14 years and I'm super impressed with my 4Runner vs all my other Jeeps. I just put new tires on (Kenati Trail Hog, 3-peak snow rated) and it's a beast in the snow. I never drove a v6, but the v8 pulls strong and smooth up i70 and sounds decent even though I have rusted exhaust.

just keep your eyes peeled for the normal CO rust and I think you can't go wrong. also, 05 and up have a 5-speed trans vs a 4-speed for 03-04.

J.

rwh963 11-23-2020 12:46 PM

short answer, YES!

ieatfish 11-23-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayson44 (Post 3570531)
I have a v8 & live just west of Golden up in the mountains. the "AWD" of the v8 is really awesome in the snow. I've been a Jeep guy for 14 years and I'm super impressed with my 4Runner vs all my other Jeeps. I just put new tires on (Kenati Trail Hog, 3-peak snow rated) and it's a beast in the snow. I never drove a v6, but the v8 pulls strong and smooth up i70 and sounds decent even though I have rusted exhaust.

just keep your eyes peeled for the normal CO rust and I think you can't go wrong. also, 05 and up have a 5-speed trans vs a 4-speed for 03-04.

J.

Just to be clear, you can run the V6 in 4Hi and have the same AWD experience of the V8. I'd also get a V8 if you can find one but the drivetrains are the same between the V6 and V8 apart from the V8 not having a 2Hi mode. Some people like the 2Hi for high gas mileage and/or reduce drivetrain wear but I don't think you'd see much real world difference.

Jayson44 11-23-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ieatfish (Post 3570599)
Just to be clear, you can run the V6 in 4Hi and have the same AWD experience of the V8.

yes, I know. I just enjoy not having to remember to put it in 4-hi every time it snows up here...

J.

keithyota 11-25-2020 10:05 PM

I have a 1999 SR5 with 265k but lot of frame rust, few months back got a 2007 4runner Limited 128k. there's some tradeoffs.

the 2005 and less v6 could blow head gasket. get 06 or higher.
Look for rust...its the enemy.
XREAS suspension...to replace it is $4000...
Make sure it handles well on road, goes straight...I had new suspension...quick struts...handled like crap. upgraded to KYB and new LCA and alignemnt, is acceptable.
Check the tires...again, that it handles well
I find maintainance easier...oil, changing bulbs, plugs, most stuff easier and more thought out.
There's a breather port on rear axle, make sure is free or else blow out bearings and seals.

ads2539 11-25-2020 10:35 PM

Also be on the lookout for cracked OEM exhaust manifolds in the V8s. I don’t know about the V6.

Toyrundrive 11-27-2020 10:33 AM

05+ have extra California crap on them.

4th gen has electric hydro boost, based on that I'd never consider a 3rd gen.

Check for frame rot. Fully boxed steel frame like to trap water and salt. I only drive mine in the Midwest winter if I absolutely have to. It's a rust free pnw truck, and it's my baby...

Thebeastlives 11-27-2020 03:42 PM

I have a 96 3rd gen and a 08 4th gen and both are very reliable. The 3rd gen needs more maintenance and wear and tear fixes than the 4th gen but that is expected in a 25 year old vehicle. The 4th gen is more powerful and rides like a new 5th gen 4 runner. It is a much better tow vehicle as well. Both have over 300k miles yet the 4th gen is far better on road trips especially if you have to head up into the mtns