Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Striped License Plate Screws (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/292336-striped-license-plate-screws.html)

Chilow 11-25-2020 08:07 PM

Striped License Plate Screws

Help! I was attempting to remove my license plate frame to put on a registration sticker, but both of the screws were on super tight and stripped. I used one of those stripped screw extractors and it made it worse so now both are beyond extraction. How do I go about removing them? Can it be done from the back? Behind the hatch plastic panel?

Jetboy 11-25-2020 08:55 PM

Can you drill it out and tap it for a larger size? Or maybe just use a larger size self-tapping screw?

PCRIDE4RUNNERORG 11-25-2020 09:00 PM

I had to do this, I used vice grips in an attempt to extract the rusted screw and the head broke off. I drilled it out, re tapped and used anti seize on the screws.

I can’t remember the exact size but just the next size up. Dealer charges $60 per hole FYI

DougR 11-25-2020 11:18 PM

YouTube has 12+ videos on how to fix this problem. Search for "stripped license plate screw". It's better to visually see how its done to figure out if you have the tools, interest, time and ability to fix it.

fkheath 11-26-2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilow (Post 3571759)
Help! I was attempting to remove my license plate frame to put on a registration sticker, but both of the screws were on super tight and stripped. I used one of those stripped screw extractors and it made it worse so now both are beyond extraction. How do I go about removing them? Can it be done from the back? Behind the hatch plastic panel?

1. Drill it out slightly smaller than the original.
2. Use a screw extractor tool in the new hole (lots of WD40)
3. Use a tap to clean out the hole after the old screw has been removed.
4. Use stainless screws from now on.

If the old threads or hole is too damaged, drill and tap to the next larger size.

I've replaced all my license plate screw with stainless and never have a problem.

MeefZah 11-26-2020 12:36 PM

I'd use a dab of grease or anti- seize on the replacement bolts, once you extract the old ones and clean up the threads with a tap. Fairly common issue, unfortunately.

I actually use anti-seize on all the bolts I remove from the 4R... skid plate bolts come to mind. Future You will thank Present You in two years.

LandCruiser 11-26-2020 02:45 PM

I was in Colorado for a long time so they had become fused to the truck.

I tried tapping them, and their heads just snapped off.

Nothing I could do could get them out. I had to go to the dealership to cut the damn things out.

And they struggled with it for like 30 minutes.

the_fornicator 11-26-2020 02:55 PM

I know this doesn't help at all, but it has always been a pet peeve of mine how the holes would always rust. So, from the second I purchased the vehicle, I pulled the bolts out and caked them in marine-grade anti-seize. Then, I put silicone washers on either side of the license plate before bolting things back in.

Maybe something to keep in mind after you fix em up.

spartacus 11-26-2020 03:20 PM

you can try a left hand drill bit.

Ferd_4R 11-26-2020 09:19 PM

Same thing happened to me last year.
Had to remove the inside panel and cut the damn thing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GripT4R 11-27-2020 10:25 AM

Hit them with your purse.

08TxRunner 11-27-2020 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gript4r (Post 3572241)
hit them with your purse.

lmao.