Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Help With Finding Door Ajar Tone (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/292432-help-finding-door-ajar-tone.html)

djpg2000 11-28-2020 02:40 PM

Help With Finding Door Ajar Tone

Hi! I've searched and searched for a thread on this but I can't find one. When I lock my doors and a door is ajar, there is a long tone that sounds. It sounds like it's coming from the driver's side of the engine bay. Can anyone tell me where it's coming from and how to disable it?

thennen 11-28-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djpg2000 (Post 3572701)
Hi! I've searched and searched for a thread on this but I can't find one. When I lock my doors and a door is ajar, there is a long tone that sounds. It sounds like it's coming from the driver's side of the engine bay. Can anyone tell me where it's coming from and how to disable it?

It's supposed to do that to alert you that all doors aren't closed. I believe it should also prevent the doors from locking until they're fully closed. If you fully close all the doors and hatch, then lock the doors, does the beep go away?

djpg2000 11-28-2020 04:08 PM

I know it's supposed to do that but I want to know where it is and how to disable it. The problem with my car is that it's beat up and has water damage from off road use so it always thinks a door is ajar.

oljedi11950 11-28-2020 04:16 PM

Pizio

So just tried this & it worked . In the door jamb is black rubber button which when engage turns off . I was going to unplug this to turn it off however when (allen wrench) , 1 turn & it turned off , tighten up back on easy ! As for the pizio that will be in the fender well probably be brake booster ,it will be a MOFO to get out but is doable & its just plugged in . Should be a cluster of or bundle of wires running into fender , keep listening & you'll find it . I liked easier approach 1 turn off !:thumb3:

thennen 11-28-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djpg2000 (Post 3572727)
I know it's supposed to do that but I want to know where it is and how to disable it. The problem with my car is that it's beat up and has water damage from off road use so it always thinks a door is ajar.

Gotcha - didn't know that. Maybe oljedi11950 has the fix. Otherwise, might be a dealer-adjustable setting in software.

Charlievee 11-28-2020 04:48 PM

Have you looked at a Carista?

djpg2000 11-28-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oljedi11950 (Post 3572734)
So just tried this & it worked . In the door jamb is black rubber button which when engage turns off . I was going to unplug this to turn it off however when (allen wrench) , 1 turn & it turned off , tighten up back on easy ! As for the pizio that will be in the fender well probably be brake booster ,it will be a MOFO to get out but is doable & its just plugged in . Should be a cluster of or bundle of wires running into fender , keep listening & you'll find it . I liked easier approach 1 turn off !:thumb3:

I did the door jamb buttons first but they don't respond so it's gotta be a wiring issue or an ecu or something. I gotta find the buzzer.

thennen 11-28-2020 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djpg2000 (Post 3572747)
I did the door jamb buttons first but they don't respond so it's gotta be a wiring issue or an ecu or something. I gotta find the buzzer.

Did you physically disconnect each door jamb switch and the hatch switch? Or physically short them? Sorry, I'm not sure which condition - open switch or closed - that the vehicle is looking for to determine a closed door. I would guess it's looking for all the switches to be closed, as gunk would typically serve to prevent contact.

djpg2000 11-28-2020 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oljedi11950 (Post 3572734)

Quote:

Originally Posted by thennen (Post 3572749)
Did you physically disconnect each door jamb switch and the hatch switch? Or physically short them? Sorry, I'm not sure which condition - open switch or closed - that the vehicle is looking for to determine a closed door. I would guess it's looking for all the switches to be closed, as gunk would typically serve to prevent contact.

I disconnected each one. On the door that's messed up it doesn't matter whether I push in the button or unplug it, it still says the door is open.

oljedi11950 11-28-2020 06:25 PM

Pizio

Did you try unplugging drivers side switch ? That will kill em all . But like I said the noise maker(pizio) is in the inner fender well drivers side by brake booster , you'll see the bundle running into fender . On my son's 11' it was easier to get to it from inside wheel line but more of a hassle ! CANNOT turn off thru Carista

oljedi11950 11-28-2020 06:29 PM

Pizio

Not sure which fuse it might be but might try that ? Or dis-connect battery for a bit

djpg2000 11-28-2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oljedi11950 (Post 3572781)
Did you try unplugging drivers side switch ? That will kill em all . But like I said the noise maker(pizio) is in the inner fender well drivers side by brake booster , you'll see the bundle running into fender . On my son's 11' it was easier to get to it from inside wheel line but more of a hassle ! CANNOT turn off thru Carista

So, you're saying that unplugging the driver's door jamb button will disable all of them? I have an 11 4runner too..lol

djpg2000 11-28-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oljedi11950 (Post 3572783)
Not sure which fuse it might be but might try that ? Or dis-connect battery for a bit

I was looking at the fuse list but I can't determine which one it would be. I'm sure it other has other things connected to the fuse as well so that probably wouldn't be a good option.

thennen 11-28-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djpg2000 (Post 3572776)
I disconnected each one. On the door that's messed up it doesn't matter whether I push in the button or unplug it, it still says the door is open.

So if you know which door is messed up, can you replace or bypass that switch? Or perhaps I’m missing something. Because it sounds like you have determined that the other switches are good.

oljedi11950 11-28-2020 08:27 PM

Pizio

Yes however , make sure you tape it ,use something to keep it from disappearing into door jamb ! I did this & beeping was gone . It's a very short line with the plug , pretty sure drivers side is main plug !