Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Your Tire Experience Needed (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/292568-your-tire-experience-needed.html)

mysticz 12-02-2020 08:54 PM

Your Tire Experience Needed

Just got a new set of SCS wheels and I am search for tires now. These are the tires I am considering. I want to hear your actual experience running any of these tires on highway, off road, rain and snow.

Thx for sharing your experiences with me to help decide which would work best for me.

A/T and Hybrid Designs:

1. Nitto Ridge Grapplers
2. Toyo Open Country RT
3. Good Year Duratracs
4. Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
5. Toyo Open Country AT3

xtremewlr 12-02-2020 09:04 PM

Currently running Toyo AT3 but only have around 4k miles on them so far, so no snow yet and living in Tucson, no rain lately. But they are outstanding tires. I had the Toyo AT2 on my 1999 Tacoma previously and they had seen it all and worked excellent in everything. I expect no less from the AT3 on the 4Runner.

Highly recommend the Toyo AT3s. 50k mile tread wear too with the LTs, which is what I am running right now.

montijo505 12-02-2020 09:05 PM

I'm running Wildpeaks, great on road no noise but leave something to be desired in mud/sand. Snow and rain performance is excellent though.

If you must have a hybrid, I'd choose Duratracs or Cooper ST maxx. I'll be going with one of them next, unless I go full MT I'll go Cooper STT Pro. I've read tons of reviews that the Nitto You listed are trash in wet conditions but no first hand experience.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

volkinator 12-03-2020 10:07 AM

I had it between the GY Duratrac and ST MAXX. Went with the lower weight (by like 10lbs per corner...) with the duratracs. Really wanted the ST MAXX and I feel like they would be the better tire, but again, that much rolling weight would have been a much bigger hit...

JuniorPigeon 12-03-2020 11:08 AM

1. Nitto Ridge Grapplers - I was all in on these until I made a post and started getting real reviews from people abusing them off-road and they weren't good. Virtually no performance in snow or any kind of sloppy surface as well as sliced sidewalls. Seem to be very popular, but also very popular with bro trucks so that might mean something, I dunno.
2. Toyo Open Country RT - Sister to the RG, same boat except maybe slighty more preffered off-road. Some of the same people had just as bad of experiences with them though.
3. Good Year Duratracs - These are what I picked, had outstanding reviews in snow and comparatively light weight. Only reason I picked them over STT Maxx. Hopefully that doesn't come to bite me, but I've heard of weak side walls. The Coopers are my next go to if these fail me.

I didn't really look into the A/Ts, but both of those seem very popular.

duffdog 12-03-2020 12:33 PM

Goodyear Duratrac is the worst tire ever made. Literally half of them are manufactured oval shaped. I went through 3 (THREE) sets of them on my truck because they were all ovalled from the factory. 2 tire shops and a Toyota dealer stated that none of the sets could be balanced. There is still a set of 80% tread duratracs in my backyard that anyone can have for free.

After that fiasco I went with General Grabbers. I still have them and will upgrade to Grabber X3.

I will never trust a Goodyear tire ever again.

montijo505 12-03-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffdog (Post 3574737)
Goodyear Duratrac is the worst tire ever made. Literally half of them are manufactured oval shaped. I went through 3 (THREE) sets of them on my truck because they were all ovalled from the factory. 2 tire shops and a Toyota dealer stated that none of the sets could be balanced. There is still a set of 80% tread duratracs in my backyard that anyone can have for free.

After that fiasco I went with General Grabbers. I still have them and will upgrade to Grabber X3.

I will never trust a Goodyear tire ever again.

I have been reading really good reviews on the grabber ATX. If I decide to stay AT next time, I'll grab those.

CWorth 12-03-2020 01:25 PM

my vote is for duratracs. had a set that lasted about 60k miles. been across the country multiple times. i live in utah and work and play in both of the cottonwood canyons which average 500"+ of snow a year and they have never let me down. just got a second set put on last week. i don't have experience with the others for what its worth.

volkinator 12-03-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montijo505 (Post 3574741)
I have been reading really good reviews on the grabber ATX. If I decide to stay AT next time, I'll grab those.

Had the Grabber AT2 and loved them. Just didn't have the ATX in the size I wanted. Hopefully they round out their options in the future for us pizza cutter people!

gimlithepirate 12-03-2020 04:22 PM

I can't really speak to mud/sand, but can speak to wet, cold and off road.

Goodyear is in my "never again" tire category. This is largely because on a previous vehicle their fact that different size tires will not have 3 mountains snowflake ratings within the same tire line is non-sense. It at least partially contributed to me ending up with all 4 wheels in the air at one point on another rig.

In contrast, Falken AT3Ws are sticky as all get out. Not super loud on pavement, work great in ice, and great off road. Would definitely be my first choice.

I've never driven the Cooper ST-Maxx, but I have driven trucks with their other all terrain tires on them. Tend to be louder on the interstate, but also the stickiest all terrains on pavement I've ever driven. Tend to be solid off road, but I don't think they are quite as good as the Falkens.

mysticz 12-07-2020 05:53 PM

Anyone have experience with Kenda Tires Klever RT?

Drift Monkey 12-07-2020 06:09 PM

Try Yokohama Geolandar X-ATs

DMX512 12-07-2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drift Monkey (Post 3576530)
Try Yokohama Geolandar X-ATs

I have had good experience with the Yokohama’s.
Currently running Pirelli and happy with them. If we get any real snow this winter, I will have a better comparison.
I think total snow accumulation last winter around Louisville Ky was a whopping 4” or 5”, which is NOT normal for here.

DMX512 12-07-2020 07:24 PM

I also have had good experience with Firestone Destinations, years ago on a different vehicle. Firestone shops near me are, well, not that convenient.

Bubba wheelin 12-08-2020 01:20 AM

Wild peaks

Wild peaks A/T’s are great on road. Nice and quiet and sure footed. Look really nice and fairly aggressive. Struggle a bit in mud, but perform well in hard pack dirt. Overall very satisfied. Only true downfall in my experience is mine have some minor chunking from the small amount of rock crawling that I’ve done with them. Maybe i went through some sharper surfaces that I didn’t realize. But, I was a bit disappointed to see the minor chunking off some of the tire lugs. Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps.