Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   New Members (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/new-members/)
-   -   Brand New to 4Runners, and new to this forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/new-members/292813-brand-new-4runners-new-forum.html)

4RmoreYears 12-10-2020 08:34 PM

Brand New to 4Runners, and new to this forum

Hello fellow 4Runners.
I am brand new to the 4Runner and to this forum.

About 3 weeks ago my 2015 Nissan Xterra pro-4x (manual transmission) got completely totaled when it was smashed while empty and parked. Let me tell you that I was extremely surprised when I returned to my car.

Long story short, I had to quickly buy a new car, and they don't make Xterras anymore, so here I am.

I picked up a 2021 TRD off-road premium.

Any tips, tricks, or suggestions for me to be on the lookout for as I age with my new 4Runner?

Any strategies for keeping her running pristine, clean, and new for years to come?

Appreciated, Thanks!

4RmoreYears
Brooklyn, NY

4RmoreYears 12-10-2020 08:35 PM

Contact

PS, feel free to reach out directly to me via DM if you ever want to discuss anything specific

revox92 12-14-2020 09:09 PM

Congrats on the purchase. Welcome to the forums!

Bumbo 12-14-2020 09:25 PM

Probably pretty obvious that this is the type of feedback you would get from a 4Runner forum but you made a wise choice.

I have spent some time around Xterras and without bringing my own personal bias into it, this is about as good as it gets for the money.

There really isn't much to it other than keeping up with regular maintenance.

We have two, one of which has 200k+ miles on it and has been extremely reliable. They road and off-road well.

jgmx893 12-16-2020 10:18 AM

Congrats on your new ownership!
The one thing I would do if I bought a new 4R, would be to start some sort of undercoating regiment. I use fluid film on my 2007, and apply a healthy coat about twice a year. If you start early on in the life of the vehicle, you'll be able to avoid rust for quite a long time.

mac1usa 12-16-2020 06:22 PM

Where do you guys go for undercoating? Ziebart is that any good or I read that Line X (that does the truck spray bedliners) has a rust proofing.

I have not rust proofed car since I was 18 but do not plan on driving a new 4R in the snow or salt.

Its hard to find good places.

Tx22RE 12-24-2020 09:29 PM

first thing to do is not wash it unless you know how without messing up the paint. do it the long way you will be glad you did. don't dip towel in the same muddy water thats sand paper

damncajun 12-27-2020 10:56 AM

Welcome from NE Georgia

4x4Runner96 01-19-2021 01:49 PM

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

280kT4R 01-24-2021 01:03 AM

Welcome!!

silver2021 01-25-2021 07:18 PM

Welcome! If you replace the gas cap with a locking cap bought off Amazon--obviously, with hindsight, a cheap Chinese knockoff--the check engine light and master warning light that will be triggered will reset themselves and disappear after about 4 days of daily commute.

armabill 01-26-2021 01:28 AM

What makes the factory gas cap different from the locking gas cap which caused the engine lights to activate?

Dragon_EX 01-27-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armabill (Post 3596186)
What makes the factory gas cap different from the locking gas cap which caused the engine lights to activate?

Probably just better manufacturing really. There must be some tight tolerances that an aftermarket one can't get just right, but how a car can even pick up on that is beyond me.

Troman62 01-27-2021 05:39 PM

Welcome! I'm new as well.

I've been driving Mustangs for my whole life, ever since I was 16. Started with a '96 V6 convertible, then a '97 Cobra and finally a '12 GT. Decided to change it up a bit and try something new. 2021 T4R LTD. Looking forward to learning about a whole new style of driving and modifying.

Troman62 01-27-2021 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon_EX (Post 3596862)
Probably just better manufacturing really. There must be some tight tolerances that an aftermarket one can't get just right, but how a car can even pick up on that is beyond me.

I would guess the stock cap it air tight and the aftermarket is not.