Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Convince me to buy a New 4Runner (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/292954-convince-me-buy-new-4runner.html)

054Runner1 12-14-2020 10:57 PM

Convince me to buy a New 4Runner

Ok, so I am in the market for a new vehicle. Currently still driving my 4th Gen that I bought new in 2005. I for some reason remain hesitant to buy a new 4Runner. I think its partially the current styling that has remained since around 2010 but I can get over that. Moreso its the ancient Trans and Engine plus the fact that apparently they have added 500-600lbs to these things since I bought mine and based on numerous posts they are now extremely sluggish. I am also considering a Jeep JLU.

Im not really worried as much about gas mileage or roll over risk. I just want a vehicle that's not going to break down and require a ton of maintenance. Also, im concerned that im going to buy this one and in a year or so they are going to actually release the redesign. I don't have to have the "latest and greatest" but I also don't want my vehicle to look dated within a year of buying it like so many folks deal with when they buy a GM Chrysler or Ford product. I should also state that I like to keep my cars for 10 years because I like only 1 car payment so every 5 years my wife and I switch who gets a new one. This time its my turn.

So I guess what im saying is, convince me to buy a New 4Runner......

Nobody Special 12-14-2020 11:03 PM

1. It is not a Ford/Mazda
2. It is not a Chevy/GMC.
3. It is not a Hyundai.

I have 9 Toyota vehicles since my last purchase of a 99 Land Rover Discovery 1.

I myself have been looking at options.
Sure there are others out there with more power and better fuel mileage, but I have over 1.5 million miles between 9 of them.
One van has over 500k, the other over 300k.
A Taco that I was doing 35k a year with, and it wasn't a daily driver and barely drive it now.

Only the Sienna with 500k had a timing belt done at 100k.
The ONLY problems I have had...
The Taco is the X-Runner which had a bad choice of transmission put in it.
(Internally there is one support instead of two)
I have a supercharged 02, that blows a head gasket every so often.

NotaTRD 12-14-2020 11:26 PM

Do it.

That’s all I got.

a47chuck 12-14-2020 11:49 PM

I got my '19 never worrying over whether a remodel was coming or not. The '21's look the same as the '14's, not to mention that the basic styling has been there since '10. That's a long run. A buddy of mine got a new '69 Torino and was all pissed because the '70's we totally different. "My car is now a year old". So freakin' what!

That said, I've had two Gen 4, Limited, 4 Wheel Drive, V8's. Yes, they had more power and actually got better gas mileage, but you're not worried about that anyway.

They're freakin' Toyotas. They gonna be reliable. GO FOR IT!!!

The "ancient" power train must be reliable ... right?

Ryance39 12-14-2020 11:50 PM

If you want fast, modern, tech-heavy, or cutting edge, it's probably not for you. People don't, or shouldn't be buying a 5th gen because they want a good commuter, a fast car/SUV, or something with cutting edge looks or tech. They are basic, reliable, decent looking family 4x4's, IMO. I bought a 2020 because 3 of our other 4 cars at the time were not "full size" or family conducive.

Like any other car purchase, it's about what you want out of it. I bought a 2020 based on reliability, good 4x4 functionality, my family fits comfortably, and they are affordable relative to what I feel. We also just don't drive much, so I don't care too much about MPG.

I'm not one for car payments so if it was me(you) and I was happy with my 4th gen and didn't need something else for some other reason I would just keep driving that.

4FL 12-14-2020 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 054Runner1 (Post 3579527)
Ok, so I am in the market for a new vehicle. Currently still driving my 4th Gen that I bought new in 2005. I for some reason remain hesitant to buy a new 4Runner. I think its partially the current styling that has remained since around 2010 but I can get over that. Moreso its the ancient Trans and Engine plus the fact that apparently they have added 500-600lbs to these things since I bought mine and based on numerous posts they are now extremely sluggish. I am also considering a Jeep JLU.

Im not really worried as much about gas mileage or roll over risk. I just want a vehicle that's not going to break down and require a ton of maintenance. Also, im concerned that im going to buy this one and in a year or so they are going to actually release the redesign. I don't have to have the "latest and greatest" but I also don't want my vehicle to look dated within a year of buying it like so many folks deal with when they buy a GM Chrysler or Ford product. I should also state that I like to keep my cars for 10 years because I like only 1 car payment so every 5 years my wife and I switch who gets a new one. This time its my turn.

So I guess what im saying is, convince me to buy a New 4Runner......

Styling since 2010 - I love that all they had was the refresh and that is it, I hate it when they change the style every year or three. To add, I like the looks whether it is out for one year or fifty.

Ancient engine and trans - you mean bullet proof reliable? I had a Ford Edge with their new ecoboost thing, what a POS, got rid of it and into the 4runner. Years ago I had the super duper, new 6.0 Ford, yea, another new POS, I will take a 7.3 any day over that junk. There is one thing you rarely see on this forum, engine and trans troubles.

Dated? Nah, the style these things have got it going on, not dated the least, they sell more and more of this style each year. I would not worry about getting before a redesign, if you really want the new design, then trade in, or what for that mysterious date when it comes.

Ok, did I convince you? lol

Patriot12 12-15-2020 12:03 AM

Just do it already

RizHayward 12-15-2020 12:13 AM

I just bought my 2021 4runner SR5 Premium - knowing that there will be a redesign 2022. Why: my last vehicle was a 2000 Nissan Xterra that I kept for 19 years before I sold it due to an engine leak that would not stop. I wanted to get into another SUV that could take me places and would last me 20 years or more. 4runner was always my dream SUV, proven bullet prove engine and tranny, has great safety features now with TSS and mods are readily available. great package and turns eyes everywhere I go. Oh yeah also bought a 2019 Ford F150 in 2018 that I sold in 2020 and have never looked back and never been happier. Why you should buy one? no idea!

delloro 12-15-2020 12:29 AM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/6fd9...temid=14989495

Nobody Special 12-15-2020 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4FL (Post 3579569)
Styling since 2010 - I love that all they had was the refresh and that is it, I hate it when they change the style every year or three. To add, I like the looks whether it is out for one year or fifty.

Ancient engine and trans - you mean bullet proof reliable? I had a Ford Edge with their new ecoboost thing, what a POS, got rid of it and into the 4runner. Years ago I had the super duper, new 6.0 Ford, yea, another new POS, I will take a 7.3 any day over that junk. There is one thing you rarely see on this forum, engine and trans troubles.

Dated? Nah, the style these things have got it going on, not dated the least, they sell more and more of this style each year. I would not worry about getting before a redesign, if you really want the new design, then trade in, or what for that mysterious date when it comes.

Ok, did I convince you? lol

New designs/platforms, etc = unknown demons lurking.
I bought my 02 4Runner because I knew 03's were coming out.
I knew the 3rd gen was reliable and looks good, and didn't want to chance waiting.
I was not and still am not keen on that generation :flame:. But I would take the V8.

delloro 12-15-2020 12:39 AM

Seriously, though, there are only a few from which to choose, the top 2 being the 4Runner and the JKU. The new Bronco 4-dr has a lot of promise.

I couldn't go with the JKU because my kid was 6 in a car seat when I bought, and the JKU rear doors are not crash-rated. So that was that.

If buying today, I would be looking at the 4R, the JKU, and the Bronco, and might well go with the Bronco.

I am satisfied with my 4R, but Toyota could have done a lot better, and they are ridiculous to deal with. Their customer interface is full retard. 110%.

Nobody Special 12-15-2020 12:40 AM

https://cdn.rotorint.com/HiLux/2020_...mp_A10.009.png

Prices, Financing & Offers | Hilux Range | Toyota Australia

delloro 12-15-2020 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizHayward (Post 3579577)
I just bought my 2021 4runner SR5 Premium - knowing that there will be a redesign 2022. Why: my last vehicle was a 2000 Nissan Xterra that I kept for 19 years before I sold it due to an engine leak that would not stop. I wanted to get into another SUV that could take me places and would last me 20 years or more. 4runner was always my dream SUV, proven bullet prove engine and tranny, has great safety features now with TSS and mods are readily available. great package and turns eyes everywhere I go. Oh yeah also bought a 2019 Ford F150 in 2018 that I sold in 2020 and have never looked back and never been happier. Why you should buy one? no idea!

I had a 2002 Xterra, loved it.

delloro 12-15-2020 12:43 AM

Didn't know they had zebras down unda.

llDemonll 12-15-2020 12:46 AM

Honestly I'd wait until the redesign. Like you said nothing has changed in 11 model years now. 4.0L V6, not real efficient, 5-speed transmission, not super quiet inside in comparison to other cars.

It won't really feel much different than your current car, it basically just has a new look.