Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Trd skid plate causing damage to kdss? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/293017-trd-skid-plate-causing-damage-kdss.html)

redrunner02 12-16-2020 02:11 AM

Trd skid plate causing damage to kdss?

Hey all,

I read a forum on another 4R site about a trimmed to fit TRD skid plate causing damage to the kdss when off-roading.

Has anyone else experienced this? I bought the skid plate and may consider returning it if it’ll damage something expensive like the kdss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Espresso_OI 12-16-2020 02:16 AM

5th Gen 4Runner TRD Skid Plate Install - With KDSS (TRD Off Road/Trail)

Blue109 12-16-2020 09:28 AM

Been running one for about a year. Doesnt look like it hit anywhere so I dont imagine it would cause any damage as long as you hack the sides enough to clear the swaybars full travel.

SlickTRD 12-16-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrunner02 (Post 3580149)
Hey all,

I read a forum on another 4R site about a trimmed to fit TRD skid plate causing damage to the kdss when off-roading.

Has anyone else experienced this? I bought the skid plate and may consider returning it if it’ll damage something expensive like the kdss.

the damage is probably from not trimming enough. but really once you trim it you are altering the structural integrity. you might as well get a kdss specific skid plate from another maker. unless you are in it for looks.

redrunner02 12-16-2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickTRD (Post 3580211)
the damage is probably from not trimming enough. but really once you trim it you are altering the structural integrity. you might as well get a kdss specific skid plate from another maker. unless you are in it for looks.

I definitely like the look, I was going to powder coat it and whatnot, but if it’s not protecting as it should or causing damage then it’s pointless. I’m not doing any heavy off-roading or rock crawling, mainly a dd, camping, overland. But for the money I’d want function as much as fashion.

redrunner02 12-16-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue109 (Post 3580183)
Been running one for about a year. Doesnt look like it hit anywhere so I dont imagine it would cause any damage as long as you hack the sides enough to clear the swaybars full travel.

Good to know, may just make sure it’s trimmed down properly. Thank you!

llDemonll 12-16-2020 02:15 PM

Return it and buy one designed for KDSS. Why trim something that needs structural integrity?