Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Snorkel alternative for clean air intake? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/293032-snorkel-alternative-clean-air-intake.html)

Endlessblockades 12-16-2020 03:39 PM

Snorkel alternative for clean air intake?

1 Attachment(s)
This picture has been floating around IG and reminds me to ask if there is an alternative to the standard snorkel that reliably keeps water out of the engine? I actually prefer this 'plumber's' PVC solution to the standard kit, aesthetically. Has anyone been tempted to devise an alternative? There has to be a more subtle and simple way to get clean, cool, dry air into the 3rd gen 3.4........

Malcolm99 12-16-2020 04:02 PM

I'm not a fan of using plumber drain piping for intakes, I think it looks terrible, cheap and out of place even on ATV's/UTV's, and that white pvc sewer drain pipe is pretty thin and cracks when cold, maybe he painted it white to match the truck though? Looking again it appears to be abs painted white, so you'd be better off with black abs pipe if you go that route IMO. I also think at high speeds that pcv pipe will see a vacuum due to the Venturi effect not that it would effect much in reality, whereas pointed forward would give you a ram air effect like the snorkels. But it's all about preference and performance so whatever works.

Endlessblockades 12-16-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm99 (Post 3580361)
I'm not a fan of using plumber drain piping for intakes, I think it looks terrible, cheap and out of place even on ATV's/UTV's, and that white pvc sewer drain pipe is pretty thin and cracks when cold, maybe he painted it white to match the truck though? Looking again it appears to be abs painted white, so you'd be better off with black abs pipe if you go that route IMO. I also think at high speeds that pcv pipe will see a vacuum due to the Venturi effect not that it would effect much in reality, whereas pointed forward would give you a ram air effect like the snorkels. But it's all about preference and performance so whatever works.

Strong opinion appreciated! I hoped the picture would generate some discussion. I would be willing to to sacrifice a junkyard quarter panel and do some cutting for an alternative intake, but not necessarily the design pictured above!

T4topher 12-16-2020 04:31 PM

Only downside to ABS is it gets sun damage so if you do use that definitely paint it IMO. Pvc doesn’t get sun damaged as badly but it is more brittle than ABS for sure. I’m a plumber lol.. I’ve seen people run it into their glove box, but I think its really loud.. seen a lot of DIY snorkels, do they look good? Sort of.. do they function? Yes..

If you do a google image search I’m sure it will pop up with some ideas

Malcolm99 12-16-2020 05:13 PM

I just like the 4R to be as stock looking as possible with a bit of a lift and any Hilux surf like items added and a decently shaped front bumper. I saw the Aussies have mandrel bent chrome snorkels for the diesel Hilux surf driver side intake, it looks brilliant and they are pointed back for cleaner air on dirt roads. Looks pro!.

Endlessblockades 12-16-2020 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4topher (Post 3580380)
I’m a plumber lol.. I’ve seen people run it into their glove box, but I think its really loud.

Haha awesome! Asking your passenger to fetch something out of the glove box for you at full load.....:horn: