Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Welding PCK (Bay Area, Ca) (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/293311-welding-pck-bay-area-ca.html)

shawnathan9 12-25-2020 07:10 AM

Welding PCK (Bay Area, Ca)

I recently bought a PCK and thought it would be easier to find someone to weld it for me but I'm having some trouble finding good reviews from local shops.

It's lifted with 880/960+Bilstein 5100. Feels a bit squirrely on the freeway as it sits.

I'm searching for someone who might be willing to give a good recommendation, or willing help weld on my Panhard Correction Kit on my 96' 4Runner.

I budgeting to invest in a good welder, and equipment, though I am aiming to get the PCK on before that much time passes.

Anyone looking to take on a welding job like this? Provide any good rec's?

:pimp:

culiced 12-25-2020 05:19 PM

i got mine welded on and it made a big difference and noticed it on the freeways. One thing to know if you wheel it hard since the axle is recented, when you wheel it and tick the rear driver side, the drive shaft tends to hit the gas tank skid.

MarkamisPrime 12-25-2020 05:27 PM

Any welding shop can do it. Doesn’t matter on reviews.
As long as they don’t let there apprentice do the job you’ll be fine.
Your in the bay @mtbtim goes to a shop I’m sure he’s talked about on the channel

Ron Burgandy 12-25-2020 06:07 PM

don’t let reviews on anything decipher whether or not something is good. if a place has 1000 reviews and 900 of them are bad.... ok then maybe but to many small businesses get a bad rep for one negative review from someone that probably has no clue about welding.

take it to the closest welding shop, this is a very straight forward weld, if it looks like a 3 yr old welded it just call them out on it. most businesses are willing to make things right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Devbot 12-25-2020 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkamisPrime (Post 3583724)
Any welding shop can do it. Doesn’t matter on reviews.
As long as they don’t let there apprentice do the job you’ll be fine.
Your in the bay @mtbtim goes to a shop I’m sure he’s talked about on the channel

Hell, Timmy just got a welder himself.
Regardless, these guy get it.^^^ You asking them to lay a simple bead that'll take 20-30 minutes on a part that's not really subjected to a large amount of stress/load, any welder worth their salt should be able to do it with their eyes closed.
I personally did it with a 120V unit from Harbor Freight and practically no welding skills. Did it look like shit? You bet it did, but penetration was good and it was nothing that couldn't be touched up - "a grinder and paint makes you the welder you ain't."

Endlessblockades 12-25-2020 09:50 PM

I understand where the OP is coming from. - finding ANY welder in the Bay Area is hard right now.I have posted the same question here and in the NorCal forum - silence. Shops I've called are booked. IIn my case, I don't even have a driveway let alone a garage to try to do it myself. I often do work in vacant industrial lots or drive to a friend's house in the East Bay. City living has many disadvantages. When Tim got his welded I'm pretty sure he said he "had a guy" and wasn't t trying to drive any business of this type to him....

CRB Racing 12-25-2020 10:25 PM

Try calling local muffler shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawnathan9 12-26-2020 01:23 AM

Thanks for all your replies. It's helped me determine how bad my three over the phone consultations were. Additionally, I had a zoom interview with a mobile welder and he definitely made it out to be more troublesome and time consuming than it really should be. Sounds like he didn't have much experience in structural welding from the sound of your replies.

I figured it was a pretty straight forward weld job but he said it might take him half a day for a flat rate. This is when I wanted to get a second opinion from the forums.

I might just go to Harbor Freight after some more studying about welding and what basic machine and tools I'll want to pick up. *Maybe if some experienced welders can give me a tip on an economical welder to start practicing with. - Craigslist?

@mtbtim - Just watched his new video :typing: - Also, I have to really give Timmy, and Sean, my respect for their contribution and great content. - You get my penny from some of those Amazon tools so that's my way of giving back :heh: Keep up the good work~!

Ron Burgandy 12-26-2020 11:59 AM

I haven’t welded mine on yet but I can’t imagine it taking more than an hour to complete the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbtim 12-26-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devbot (Post 3583759)
Hell, Timmy just got a welder himself.
Regardless, these guy get it.^^^ You asking them to lay a simple bead that'll take 20-30 minutes on a part that's not really subjected to a large amount of stress/load, any welder worth their salt should be able to do it with their eyes closed.
I personally did it with a 120V unit from Harbor Freight and practically no welding skills. Did it look like shit? You bet it did, but penetration was good and it was nothing that couldn't be touched up - "a grinder and paint makes you the welder you ain't."

Yes, I did get a welder. Here's the video proof.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1D4M6-9pYGA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbtim 12-26-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnathan9 (Post 3583813)
Thanks for all your replies. It's helped me determine how bad my three over the phone consultations were. Additionally, I had a zoom interview with a mobile welder and he definitely made it out to be more troublesome and time consuming than it really should be. Sounds like he didn't have much experience in structural welding from the sound of your replies.

I figured it was a pretty straight forward weld job but he said it might take him half a day for a flat rate. This is when I wanted to get a second opinion from the forums.

I might just go to Harbor Freight after some more studying about welding and what basic machine and tools I'll want to pick up. *Maybe if some experienced welders can give me a tip on an economical welder to start practicing with. - Craigslist?

@mtbtim - Just watched his new video :typing: - Also, I have to really give Timmy, and Shawn, my respect for their contribution and great content. - You get my penny from some of those Amazon tools so that's my way of giving back :heh: Keep up the good work~!

I'll help you with this welding job. I'm not a pro at all but getting the right settings on the welder and prepping the metal well should produce welds that will hold just fine for this application.

If you don't risk it with my novice welding skills, the guy I would suggest is Wes who owns One Off Customs in Morgan Hill. He's a good dude. He'll most likely charge you for an hour of his time which will run you $100.

One Off Customs | Hot Rods, Customs, Classics
Wes prefers taking on big projects but he does entertain smaller jobs like this when he has the time. If you're in the California Bay Area and need some welding, custom fabrication or a big project like a complete vehicle restoration or custom build, give Wes a call. (408) 802-3299

infamousRNR 12-26-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbtim (Post 3583883)
Yes, I did get a welder. Here's the video proof.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1D4M6-9pYGA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sooooo, we gunna weld on is PCK for @shawnathan9 ??? Heck I’ll do it! It won’t be as good as a welder who has been in the game for 10+ years but I’m game. It will be way easier than my sliders I welded onto my truck.

-sean*

3bears 12-26-2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infamousRNR (Post 3583885)
Sooooo, we gunna weld on is PCK for @shawnathan9 ??? Heck I’ll do it! It won’t be as good as a welder who has been in the game for 10+ years but I’m game. It will be way easier than my sliders I welded onto my truck.

-sean*

and of course a video to follow ?
I paid to have my last one done, but I want to do the next one myself. Yours and MTBTIM videos are so much a part of my work on my rig. Thanks

shawnathan9 12-27-2020 02:13 AM

@mtbtim @infamousRNR

Are you guys kidding me? I would be completely honored in having you guys weld on my PCK. :hail:

My work schedule varies from week to week but I can manage to open something two weeks in advance. My next days off are 12/30/12/31. I offer beers and a clean runner to work on. Let me know what else I can do to make this work out.:rockon:

Endlessblockades 12-27-2020 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnathan9 (Post 3584086)
@mtbtim @infamousRNR

Are you guys kidding me? I would be completely honored in having you guys weld on my PCK. :hail:

My work schedule varies from week to week but I can manage to open something two weeks in advance. My next days off are 12/30/12/31. I offer beers and a clean runner to work on. Let me know what else I can do to make this work out.:rockon:

Hell yeah - you scored the hook-up!