Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Lexus GX470/460 (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/lexus-gx470-460-a/)
-   -   5th Gen 4Runner vs GX470 (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/lexus-gx470-460-a/293424-5th-gen-4runner-vs-gx470.html)

Decipher 12-28-2020 12:58 PM

5th Gen 4Runner vs GX470
 
Iím selling my 2010 4Runner with the intention of buying and building out a GX470.

Everyone touts how bulletproof the GX V8 is, but Iím trading in a 4R with a timing chain thatís been unbelievably solid with not a single issue.

Iím seeing odd things being replaced on the GX in my research; center diffs, exhaust manifolds, the cracked dash issue, lower control arms, and other bizarre stuff.

From owners who know, is this a bad move on my part? Are there some generally unspoken issues with the GX not commonly shared because of the shining V8. Iím already bummed about the timing belt and water pump having to be done every 100,000 miles. Thanks in advance!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decipher 12-28-2020 01:05 PM

5th Gen 4Runner vs GX470
 
Oh and Iím looking at a gen 1 Up to 2009.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TLar25 12-28-2020 04:22 PM

Cracked exhaust manifolds happens to pretty much every 2UZ at some point in its life, not a huge deal to just live with the ticking, and an expensive fix unless you just weld the cracks to get by. The dash crack is pretty commonplace as well unfortunately, unless you find one whose previous owner got it replaced during the recall. Lower control arms is probably just the bushings actually needing replaced. That's a regular wear and tear item. Watch for seized brake calipers, common issue on these and 4th gen 4Runners. Leaking transfer case actuator seals is also another common issue on these and 4th gens. Make sure to cycle the 4x4/lock the center diff when test driving to make sure it goes in and out without problems, and then do it at least once a month every month so it stays in working order. Leaky/failed air suspension in the rear is pretty common at this age as well, but I assume you'll be lifting it so not really an issue, but could be a negotiation point.

I have a V8 03 4Runner Limited and an 04 GX. Pretty much the same car, but the interior is set up better in the 4Runner. The center console that you can rest your elbow on is, in my opinion, vastly superior to the arm rests in the GX if you're into driving with one hand. Cup holders are shit in the Lexus, but the cabin is a little quieter. Rear seats fold down nicer in the 4Runner as well. Small things like these here and there that I've noticed since picking up the GX. Neither have given me any issues yet other than a seized caliper on the 4Runner. I like the looks of a built GX a little more than a built 4th gen, but prefer the 4Runner interior. So I wouldn't rule out a Limited 4th gen with the V8 if you haven't thought about that. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...97c47491c4.jpg

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

TLar25 12-28-2020 04:23 PM

There isn't really a gen 2 GX470, unless you consider red wood and a better navigation touch screen a different generation [emoji28]

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

TLar25 12-28-2020 04:25 PM

I've driven several 5th gens but haven't owned one, so I can't really comment as to that comparison, but both my wife and I prefer the 4th gen interior to the 5th gen's, for what that's worth [emoji2373]

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

Decipher 12-28-2020 07:50 PM

5th Gen 4Runner vs GX470
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TLar25 (Post 3584657)
Cracked exhaust manifolds happens to pretty much every 2UZ at some point in its life, not a huge deal to just live with the ticking, and an expensive fix unless you just weld the cracks to get by. The dash crack is pretty commonplace as well unfortunately, unless you find one whose previous owner got it replaced during the recall. Lower control arms is probably just the bushings actually needing replaced. That's a regular wear and tear item. Watch for seized brake calipers, common issue on these and 4th gen 4Runners. Leaking transfer case actuator seals is also another common issue on these and 4th gens. Make sure to cycle the 4x4/lock the center diff when test driving to make sure it goes in and out without problems, and then do it at least once a month every month so it stays in working order. Leaky/failed air suspension in the rear is pretty common at this age as well, but I assume you'll be lifting it so not really an issue, but could be a negotiation point.

I have a V8 03 4Runner Limited and an 04 GX. Pretty much the same car, but the interior is set up better in the 4Runner. The center console that you can rest your elbow on is, in my opinion, vastly superior to the arm rests in the GX if you're into driving with one hand. Cup holders are shit in the Lexus, but the cabin is a little quieter. Rear seats fold down nicer in the 4Runner as well. Small things like these here and there that I've noticed since picking up the GX. Neither have given me any issues yet other than a seized caliper on the 4Runner. I like the looks of a built GX a little more than a built 4th gen, but prefer the 4Runner interior. So I wouldn't rule out a Limited 4th gen with the V8 if you haven't thought about that. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...97c47491c4.jpg

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk


Wow. Thanks to all for the insight and especially for the details, TLar25. I obsess and research to the point of nausea before making decisions or asking additional questions. You guy have provided additional information here, along with your opinions, that I havenít heard or found. I canít thank you guys enough.

Iíve looked at the 4th gen 4Runner but assumed the Lexus would be of higher interior quality which is why I was exploring that route. I have seen plenty of complaints about daily living in the GX with the awful cup holders, crap center counsel, and some of the other gripes.

My 2010 5th gen has aged extremely well and still feels up to date and relevant in design, minus of course the electronics and dash and other things that of course have improved over the course of 11 years.

Any opinions in off road capability? I obviously have ATRAC which is absolutely amazing for what it is.

I will be lifting the GX, thus deleting the air bags. Iíll also be fitting up 34s and the necessary supporting mods for this. Appreciate it again!

I guess I donít want to feel like Iím downgrading in quality, features or reliability since Iíll use it to haul around the family as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mnofpeace 01-13-2021 08:26 AM

why not keep the 4Runner?

i was in the same boat...and ended up with a 2014 4Runner and havnt looked back. once paid off, you can do what you want to it and with it. Plus, after speaking to 3 different Toyo certified techs, they say what many dont say and they wish it was more advertised, that after criticizing how 'dated' the 4Runner is after 11yrs and counting, that the 4Runners are basically bullet proof...mechanically-period. After about 2hrs worth of conversations with these guys, i was convinced...yes the Lexus will make me feel special, and are built very sound as well, but the 4Runner will run and run and run and i wont care about a scratch here or there because whether its mile 100,000 or mile 250,000, it will start the same, and run the same. And all you need to do to it is normal scheduled maintenance; fluids here, checks there...

yes, GXs have better this and that on paper and when initially compared...but adding to the things mentioned before, hydro suspension fails, its NOT the same as the LX's. Leather cracks, various things are built for lux, and not to be beaten up. the 4Runners are built to be abused, serviced, maintenance'd, and reused for miles upon miles.

I wish we got the Toyota Prados or the LandCruiser 70s that they get in Aussie, but what we do get is a 4Runner that can do the job we need it to, and not feel bad about getting a scar or two.

just my 2 cents

having said all of that...which ever you choose, i think it will work for you

Decipher 01-14-2021 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnofpeace (Post 3591028)
why not keep the 4Runner?

i was in the same boat...and ended up with a 2014 4Runner and havnt looked back. once paid off, you can do what you want to it and with it. Plus, after speaking to 3 different Toyo certified techs, they say what many dont say and they wish it was more advertised, that after criticizing how 'dated' the 4Runner is after 11yrs and counting, that the 4Runners are basically bullet proof...mechanically-period. After about 2hrs worth of conversations with these guys, i was convinced...yes the Lexus will make me feel special, and are built very sound as well, but the 4Runner will run and run and run and i wont care about a scratch here or there because whether its mile 100,000 or mile 250,000, it will start the same, and run the same. And all you need to do to it is normal scheduled maintenance; fluids here, checks there...

yes, GXs have better this and that on paper and when initially compared...but adding to the things mentioned before, hydro suspension fails, its NOT the same as the LX's. Leather cracks, various things are built for lux, and not to be beaten up. the 4Runners are built to be abused, serviced, maintenance'd, and reused for miles upon miles.

I wish we got the Toyota Prados or the LandCruiser 70s that they get in Aussie, but what we do get is a 4Runner that can do the job we need it to, and not feel bad about getting a scar or two.

just my 2 cents

having said all of that...which ever you choose, i think it will work for you


Thanks for this! I very much am considering this option. By the time I fix the GX of issues that are inherent (secondary air pump and the such), plus add suspension and stuff, it just may not be worth
It. Plus Iíll have to deal with greater maintenance and a truck that is older.

Decisions decisions...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldmanb777 01-16-2021 10:37 PM

Not sure this applies, since your looking for the older GX. Makes sense since you intend to make more of an off roader. But WE like our GX a lot more than my Nieces 4 Runner. In fact the niece wishes she had bought the GX. Much nicer car. Better creature comforts. Lots more power, made at much lower RPM. That's big. More factory ground clearance, (not important if you plan a lift).
The lower rear end ratio is nice with bigger tires. the extra gear in the tranny.
But ours is a 2017, so newer generation. The 4.7 is nicer to drive than the 4.6, but you have the timing belt issue with the 4.7. We constantly get better gas mileage with the GX than the niece gets with Her Runner. You just don't need to run the GX as hard, and the lower torque curve contributes to that as well.
I can sit in the 3rd row seats of the GX, no problem. I would not want to do that for a long trip, but short drives are ok. The Runner 3rd row doesn't work at all. Even the second row in the runner is not nice for older adults like it is in the GX. The 3rd row seats fold into the floor of the GX, seems like it leaves more usable space that the Runner folding into the sides. maybe just seems that way, but works better for us. The roof line in the gX is higher, the Runner roof is hitting my head. Getting into and out fo the gX is easy, the Runner, I have to watch my head, or I hit it on the roof jam. I need to bend my head down to get in to it and I'm not tall. The Runner seats seem to sit with my legs outstretched instead of downward. Puts pressure on my lower back that is extremely uncomfortable for long rides.
The rear door on the GX is a little awkward, but we have not really had issue with it. Would be better if it opened from the other side, and i would prefer the LX split tailgate.

Decipher 01-16-2021 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldmanb777 (Post 3592652)
Not sure this applies, since your looking for the older GX. Makes sense since you intend to make more of an off roader. But WE like our GX a lot more than my Nieces 4 Runner. In fact the niece wishes she had bought the GX. Much nicer car. Better creature comforts. Lots more power, made at much lower RPM. That's big. More factory ground clearance, (not important if you plan a lift).
The lower rear end ratio is nice with bigger tires. the extra gear in the tranny.
But ours is a 2017, so newer generation. The 4.7 is nicer to drive than the 4.6, but you have the timing belt issue with the 4.7. We constantly get better gas mileage with the GX than the niece gets with Her Runner. You just don't need to run the GX as hard, and the lower torque curve contributes to that as well.
I can sit in the 3rd row seats of the GX, no problem. I would not want to do that for a long trip, but short drives are ok. The Runner 3rd row doesn't work at all. Even the second row in the runner is not nice for older adults like it is in the GX. The 3rd row seats fold into the floor of the GX, seems like it leaves more usable space that the Runner folding into the sides. maybe just seems that way, but works better for us. The roof line in the gX is higher, the Runner roof is hitting my head. Getting into and out fo the gX is easy, the Runner, I have to watch my head, or I hit it on the roof jam. I need to bend my head down to get in to it and I'm not tall. The Runner seats seem to sit with my legs outstretched instead of downward. Puts pressure on my lower back that is extremely uncomfortable for long rides.
The rear door on the GX is a little awkward, but we have not really had issue with it. Would be better if it opened from the other side, and i would prefer the LX split tailgate.


Thank you for all of this!!! I really appreciate it a ton.

One of the massive drawbacks of the 4.7 is the timing belt as you mentioned, but I also donít drive more than 6500 miles a year right now with my truck. I have another car I also drive so Iím telling myself itís not that big of a deal.

Iíve heard and read the materials and everything are vastly improved in the 2010+ GX so Iím a bit worried itíll feel dated. There are certainly things Iím not thrilled about but also things Iím wondering how much Iíll actually care about, ie the center counsel, crap cup holders, and things like that. I know that, performance wise, with some tweaking itíll be a great rig. I just love the 5th gen 4R so much, except the power issue. Your insight is insanely appreciated


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpilot 01-18-2021 10:56 PM

All 3
 
I own all 3. My wife really likes the size and ease of the 4th gen (minimal lift, 265/70r17).
I love the modern feel of my 5th gen, but wife feels its a bit too tall on lift and 285s. Does great in mountains of Colorado.
GX470 is still kind of new to us but is a nice option from the 4runners. Lexus drive and feel is great, and that V8 is awesome.
That said, I don’t think there is anything great that defines any one from the other and there is nothing bad with any of them either.
It comes down to what you want. They are all great vehicles and I am sure you’ll be happy with whatever you end up with.

Decipher 01-20-2021 06:05 AM

5th Gen 4Runner vs GX470
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpilot (Post 3593328)
I own all 3. My wife really likes the size and ease of the 4th gen (minimal lift, 265/70r17).
I love the modern feel of my 5th gen, but wife feels its a bit to tall on lift and 285s. Does great in mountains of Colorado.
GX470 is still kind of new to us but is a nice option from the 4runners. Lexus drive and feel is great, and that V8 is awesome.
That said, I donít think there is anything great that defines any one from the other and there is nothing bad with any of them either.
It comes down to what you want. They are all great vehicles and I am sure youíll be happy with whatever you end up with.


Thank you! From an interior space standpoint, does the GX feel smaller than the 5th gen? I visited two dealerships yesterday but neither were open except by appointment with Covid.

Maybe itís the body shape of my 5th gen, but the GX just looks smaller even though the comparison specs on the internet show the difference is negligible.

I have a 2 and 4 year old so interior space is important especially in the back seat. They have ample room in my 5th gen so donít want to sacrifice that if I donít have to.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpilot 01-21-2021 08:28 PM

Im out of town, but I will do a side by side when I get back next week.

Decipher 01-22-2021 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpilot (Post 3594480)
Im out of town, but I will do a side by side when I get back next week.


Thatís huge. Thank you!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcox522 01-23-2021 12:47 AM

Here's my story:

I bought a new 2016 Trail premium w/kdss. Added KO2 and SS hybrid front bumper. Absolutely loved the truck. It would go places i didn't think we're possible stock with upgraded tires. 4 years and 35k miles later we needed a change in family vehicles. I sold the 4R and got a 2007 gx470 with 128k miles. Stock ride was much better than the 4R. I installed the ironman foam cell pro stage 3 with 2.5 front 2 rear with 285 ko2. Way better acceleration with the GX and also more quiet and smooth. Crazy with 128k miles. Wish I world have known about the gx sooner. Loved it so much we got a 2017 gx for the stock family vehicle.
The market is ridiculous on the gx right now but still a good value from most sellers. Although a lot are asking too much. I bought mine in October 2020 for 13k, 128k miles, in great condition, only slightly cracked dash.

I have 21k total in with the mods and maintenance. Absolutely killer vehicle for the price.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f81541a713.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger