Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   LBJ replacement interval? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/293545-lbj-replacement-interval.html)

4flyer 12-31-2020 10:34 PM

LBJ replacement interval?

So, I know that it is important to not go on the original LBJs for long on our rigs.

My 4Runner is currently at 235k miles and is a southern truck with not a lick of rust. The LBJs were originally replaced at the dealer at 65k miles in 2005. Last time I was getting an alignment done, I had the shop inspect the LBJs and they said that they were in good shape. Now, we are approaching 200k miles on the LBJs. Should I go ahead and replace them soon or is there a suggested replacement interval? Thanks!!!!

Devbot 12-31-2020 10:58 PM

It's very good insurance and a very easy job, so I believe the answer you'll get is a resounding yes (including from me!)
You'll probably hear this 100 times but I'll chime in anyways: My rig is at nearly 300K and had the original LBJs - I had them inspected during an alignment and they supposedly checked out. Checked it myself and looked fine. Changed them out maybe a month or two later and they were TOTALLY shot. The ball totally flopped around, and movement felt gritty. Opened the boot and saw yellow, water-logged grease. God knows how much longer they had in them
I recommend replacing them when convenient, but don't put it off. You're definitely due. Believe the interval was like 60K miles or something

3bears 12-31-2020 11:08 PM

like stated above, do them now. Its pretty easy to do and all the "special" tools you can get for free from Orielleys ( well rent and return and get all money back). Autozone did not have both I needed.
but its an easy job in most situations as long as things are not rusted to crap and stripped.
you want to torque correct. so maybe 3 tools to rent/borrow

Malcolm99 12-31-2020 11:20 PM

From what I have seen OEM should be good for 200k change intervals on a stock rig used for highway and dirt roads(not mudding or water crossing), if lifted over 2" you're on your own and might wanna do it every 60k, the range of a stock LBJ doesn't allow much droop lifted beyond 2-2.5" and will cause excessive wear and even binding and separation due to the design. I wish these OEM LBJ would go down in price!!, but I guess we should be glad there available.

Devbot 12-31-2020 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm99 (Post 3586098)
From what I have seen OEM should be good for 200k change intervals on a stock rig used for highway and dirt roads(not mudding or water crossing), if lifted over 2" you're on your own and might wanna do it every 60k, the range of a stock LBJ doesn't allow much droop lifted beyond 2-2.5" and will cause excessive wear and even binding and separation due to the design. I wish these OEM LBJ would go down in price!!, but I guess we should be glad there available.

Yeah, be happy they're still produced. Toyota has already canceled production of certain odds+ends relative to our vehicles. Big one are the clear glass headlights, as you're probably aware.

nobb 01-01-2021 12:06 AM

I think checks should be done every year at minimum, but it's really hard to say what the replacement interval should be. I'm pretty sure lifted rigs will wear through these much quicker.

I had OE joints at 300,000 kms and they were still tight. I put on a 3" lift and after only 70,000 kms they needed to be replaced again as they were noticeably looser than the old set. I was able to directly compare them as I kept the old parts as spares.

3bears 01-01-2021 12:18 AM

all above is true and sadly the lower ball joint is a weak point on these rigs. I have owned cars with much worse maintain issues, so I guess this is not so bad. Luckily they are pretty easy to replace in most cases ( no rust etc) but seems like my last TOYOTA ones only went about 80k but I do hit some hard roads and I was slightly lifted. well I dont know how bad they were, the alignment shop said one was a little loose. So I did them both for safety and peace of mind. They both felt the same when off, so who knows. Brake downs out here are not good. I hit roads with no people or cell service for an hour at a time. I assume it would be the same on any WAY back road even in the lower 48.
Also using FSM testing for a few millimeters of slop is hard.
Just today, on the 3rd gen mafia forum someone posted a picture of today their failed ball joint.

( 3rd gen mafia....facebook)

FD7683 01-01-2021 12:33 AM

Mine are still the original at 220k and they are still tight although I definitely plan to replace them soon.

98taco3 01-01-2021 02:33 AM

Best to do them and get it over with, like said above its an easy job. I bought my runner at 197k miles and did them immediately despite them having no play as per the FSM procedure. Didnt know when they were done last if ever so it is cheap insurance.

Little known thing, Toyota did have a recall on some of them and still have a PN that contains both LBJs (cheaper). The PN is 04005-02235.

3bears 01-01-2021 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 98taco3 (Post 3586140)
Best to do them and get it over with, like said above its an easy job. I bought my runner at 197k miles and did them immediately despite them having no play as per the FSM procedure. Didnt know when they were done last if ever so it is cheap insurance.

Little known thing, Toyota did have a recall on some of them and still have a PN that contains both LBJs (cheaper). The PN is 04005-02235.

thanks, that does look lower than buying individually, does it contain the bolts, cotter pin, nut, etc ?

98taco3 01-01-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bears (Post 3586265)
thanks, that does look lower than buying individually, does it contain the bolts, cotter pin, nut, etc ?

None of the hardware came with mine unfortunately which seemed odd. Youll have to order the bolts separately and mine did not come with castle nuts. I would get those as well for the few bucks they will be, still far cheaper.

pluton 01-02-2021 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devbot (Post 3586104)
Toyota has already canceled production of certain odds+ends relative to our vehicles. Big one are the clear glass headlights, as you're probably aware.

I wouldn't know if Toyota has ceased production on the 99+ headlights, but you can still buy those headlights from Amayama...I just did.

Treestand_Twerkers 01-02-2021 12:18 PM

flatlander here just doin 100k replacement

Devbot 01-02-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pluton (Post 3586474)
I wouldn't know if Toyota has ceased production on the 99+ headlights, but you can still buy those headlights from Amayama...I just did.

Yeah for $200-300 each... The issue isn't that they're not sold anymore, the issue is you can't find them at a justifiable price.

96RedRunner 01-02-2021 05:42 PM

Yes some things are in the pay to play range now, way it goes.