Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Dobinsons MRR/MRA Suspension Questions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/293736-dobinsons-mrr-mra-suspension-questions.html)

krhayes79 01-07-2021 01:05 AM

Dobinsons MRR/MRA Suspension Questions

Calling all Dobinsons MRR/MRA suspension owners for a little help/tips with my upcoming install Friday evening and Saturday morning. I appreciate every and all replies!

(I did search for these answers throughout the forum and I read through a lot of the Dobinsons threads but I was not really able to get the answers/pics I was specifically looking for)

First, I have to say a big THANK YOU to @Crikeymike for getting me all set up with my order and the help in my many questions on the quest for a successful new suspension set up.

I am looking for everyone else who has this set up to please provide some feedback on the following:
  1. Can you please provide pics & location you mounted your remote reservoirs - did you use the provided mounting hardware or did you have to come up with a different method? My concern is the long line from the shock to the resi and it rubbing or getting caught up somewhere. I also want to make sure I have easy access to adjust the settings.
  2. Any specific items for this MRR/MRA setup I should be on the lookout for when completing the install?
  3. What measurement did you use from the bottom (middle of the hole) of the shock to the lip of the seat to achieve your (x)" lift? I am planning for 3" and know it will settle after the initial install and drive before alignment. Did you have to make any adjustments after they settled?
  4. What settings are you running for your low speed, high speed, and rebound for daily driving and offroad driving?
  5. What alignment numbers should I be after with the Dobinsons UCAs? The target is for 3" lift in the front and 2" lift in the rear

I am fairly decent in the garage and have done all my own installs. However, this will be the first suspension project I have done and for me, knowledge is power. I do have buddies who will be there to help and support me, so I will have some experience in there with me.

I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions I look forward to reading!

Thank you!

Daikon 01-08-2021 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krhayes79 (Post 3588591)
I do have buddies who will be there to help and support me, so I will have some experience in there with me.
Thank you!

I’m just coming for the free food.

Anand 01-08-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

• Can you please provide pics & location you mounted your remote reservoirs - did you use the provided mounting hardware or did you have to come up with a different method? My concern is the long line from the shock to the resi and it rubbing or getting caught up somewhere. I also want to make sure I have easy access to adjust the settings.

Full disclosure, I don't have the MRAs, but I did help a good friend install his, so here's what I can offer

For the front resi's we used the included mount, some stainless hardware we had laying around (bolt, washer, washer, lock washer, nut) and found a pre-existing hole through the body "above" the shock tower. Essentially the resi's sit just above where the 3 14mm nuts are on the top hat. Installing the hardware for this bolt hole definitely required 2 people and some patience, partially because the passenger side was under his second battery and the drivers side is under the added tray to hold electrics.

For the rear resi's we used the included mount and sandwiched it between the bumpstop and the frame using one of the bumpstop bolts. He's running Durobumps bumpstops, which afforded plenty of "squish" while still tightening down fine. If the hoses for the resi's were about twice as long you could go for a more traditional mounting location like many other companies use.

Quote:

• Any specific items for this MRR/MRA setup I should be on the lookout for when completing the install?

Especially for the front, make sure you have the hose for the resi's going in the direction you want before you place everything into the upright; part of this goes along with us trying to find a location to mount the resi's and a lot of trial and error.

OH! The rear's, maybe we are just really inexperienced, but allowing them to extend while keeping them compressed enough to fit into the bottom mount was.... interesting. I think we ended up setting them to full soft to better facilitate this.

Quote:

• What measurement did you use from the bottom (middle of the hole) of the shock to the lip of the seat to achieve your (x)" lift? I am planning for 3" and know it will settle after the initial install and drive before alignment. Did you have to make any adjustments after they settled?

They came pre-assembled and weren't touched. That being said, they've been on my buddy's truck for a few months now and I don't think they settled much at all. For reference, he's running 352 springs with steel skids, dual batteries, aluminum full bumper, and a winch. In the rear his truck probably settled 1/2" with the initial springs (701V's), since then he has upgraded to 749V's with almost no settling.

Quote:

• What settings are you running for your low speed, high speed, and rebound for daily driving and offroad driving?

I know he played around with them a bit, but started from the Prado setting. I believe he went 2 clicks stiffer on both compressions. As of yet, he makes no adjustments for off-road driving
Quote:

• What alignment numbers should I be after with the Dobinsons UCAs? The target is for 3" lift in the front and 2" lift in the rear

Get as much caster as you can (3º-4º or more is great), everything else to factory

krhayes79 01-08-2021 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anand (Post 3589036)
Full disclosure, I don't have the MRAs, but I did help a good friend install his, so here's what I can offer

For the front resi's we used the included mount, some stainless hardware we had laying around (bolt, washer, washer, lock washer, nut) and found a pre-existing hole through the body "above" the shock tower. Essentially the resi's sit just above where the 3 14mm nuts are on the top hat. Installing the hardware for this bolt hole definitely required 2 people and some patience, partially because the passenger side was under his second battery and the drivers side is under the added tray to hold electrics.

For the rear resi's we used the included mount and sandwiched it between the bumpstop and the frame using one of the bumpstop bolts. He's running Durobumps bumpstops, which afforded plenty of "squish" while still tightening down fine. If the hoses for the resi's were about twice as long you could go for a more traditional mounting location like many other companies use.

Especially for the front, make sure you have the hose for the resi's going in the direction you want before you place everything into the upright; part of this goes along with us trying to find a location to mount the resi's and a lot of trial and error.

OH! The rear's, maybe we are just really inexperienced, but allowing them to extend while keeping them compressed enough to fit into the bottom mount was.... interesting. I think we ended up setting them to full soft to better facilitate this.

They came pre-assembled and weren't touched. That being said, they've been on my buddy's truck for a few months now and I don't think they settled much at all. For reference, he's running 352 springs with steel skids, dual batteries, aluminum full bumper, and a winch. In the rear his truck probably settled 1/2" with the initial springs (701V's), since then he has upgraded to 749V's with almost no settling.

I know he played around with them a bit, but started from the Prado setting. I believe he went 2 clicks stiffer on both compressions. As of yet, he makes no adjustments for off-road driving

Get as much caster as you can (3º-4º or more is great), everything else to factory

Thank you for your response!

We will def find the mounting locations before installing the strut, that is a great tip! Would it be possible to get a pic of where the resi's are mounted front and rear?

Appreciate the help!

Anand 01-08-2021 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krhayes79 (Post 3589211)
Thank you for your response!

We will def find the mounting locations before installing the strut, that is a great tip! Would it be possible to get a pic of where the resi's are mounted front and rear?

Appreciate the help!

Actually, yes... I'll take some pics this evening, I'll be seeing the truck then

krhayes79 01-09-2021 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anand (Post 3589289)
Actually, yes... I'll take some pics this evening, I'll be seeing the truck then

Hi There, were you able to get the pics? We are ready to mount the fronts.

Anand 01-10-2021 11:13 AM

For people in the future that need it also... Here are a few pictures of my buddy's resi locations

Front:
https://i.imgur.com/GS1emEj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xeSfXiZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Pjj4boN.jpg

Rear:
https://i.imgur.com/uty1u6R.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DosOxMa.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/hSZNDn5.jpg

Crikeymike 01-11-2021 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anand (Post 3589820)
For people in the future that need it also... Here are a few pictures of my buddy's resi locations

Front:
https://i.imgur.com/GS1emEj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xeSfXiZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Pjj4boN.jpg

The way those fronts resi's are installed, they're extremely likely to get hit with the UCA on full up travel. It's not recommended to be mounted there for that reason, plus you're limiting/blocking access to adjust the rebound adjuster on the top of the strut.

The resi needs to be forward or rearward of the strut tower, out of the way of all moving parts (like the UCA's) and the tires that can turn in towards it.

https://exitoffroad.com/wp-content/u...ting-Guide.pdf

I suggest you do a full suspension travel test and check it out. IF that resi gets loose, you could destroy it, and the hose, and if that happens, you'll need a full dismantle of them to clean and replace the oil and parts that got damaged.

Anand 01-11-2021 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crikeymike (Post 3590230)
The resi needs to be forward or rearward of the strut tower, out of the way of all moving parts (like the UCA's) and the tires that can turn in towards it.

Thanks for that info Mike, I'll pass it along to the owner of the truck!

TaNk007 01-11-2021 03:32 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here is mine on 2017 TRD Pro

Damping control settings are awesome, Settings are preferred how you like your ride quality to be. I'm 4+ clicks Positive and love it there. about 400+ miles on this suspension now ( went snow wheeling and mild off-road ) not a single issue in rubbing

krhayes79 01-12-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaNk007 (Post 3590344)

Damping control settings are awesome, Settings are preferred how you like your ride quality to be. I'm 4+ clicks Positive and love it there. about 400+ miles on this suspension now ( went snow wheeling and mild off-road ) not a single issue in rubbing

I really like your front resi mounting position. Did you use existing holes or did you have to drill holes in the frame? How about the rears? from what I can tell, those are not pre-existing holes.

Appreciate you sending pics!

TaNk007 01-13-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krhayes79 (Post 3590717)
I really like your front resi mounting position. Did you use existing holes or did you have to drill holes in the frame? How about the rears? from what I can tell, those are not pre-existing holes.

Appreciate you sending pics!

the front went into existing holes and rear one existing and one I drilled a hole and added rivnut

joshik 08-15-2021 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaNk007 (Post 3590344)

Hey TaNk007

How is that rear mounting location doing for ya? No problems with tires rubbing it? My bro has the Fox 2.5 dsc and the resis are sorta in the same place... maybe sticks out a little further from the frame and further back and his tire rubs when the tire is stuffed. Yours looks like it would be ok.

I finally got my rear springs this week and got to installing the rear setup tonight. The pass side supplied mounting worked like a charm but the driver side sucks balls. The pictures on Exit and Dob page are nothing like the 4th gen... at least for my 4th gen. The existing holes in the frame with the mount cause the resi to hit a bracket on the frame and the gas tank. If you push it back the resi goes into the spring. I've been trying to tweak it by drilling new holes but gave up for tonight.

I like how you mounted them. Might got that route.

TaNk007 09-08-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshik (Post 3664358)
Hey TaNk007

How is that rear mounting location doing for ya? No problems with tires rubbing it? My bro has the Fox 2.5 dsc and the resis are sorta in the same place... maybe sticks out a little further from the frame and further back and his tire rubs when the tire is stuffed. Yours looks like it would be ok.

I finally got my rear springs this week and got to installing the rear setup tonight. The pass side supplied mounting worked like a charm but the driver side sucks balls. The pictures on Exit and Dob page are nothing like the 4th gen... at least for my 4th gen. The existing holes in the frame with the mount cause the resi to hit a bracket on the frame and the gas tank. If you push it back the resi goes into the spring. I've been trying to tweak it by drilling new holes but gave up for tonight.

I like how you mounted them. Might got that route.

Hey, no rubbing issues I went to 285 and it still clears fine