Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   LBJ "Kit" part number? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/293747-lbj-kit-part-number.html)

JZiggy 01-07-2021 12:36 PM

LBJ "Kit" part number?

Hey folks,

I ran across a Toyota part number that appears to be a "kit" for both the LH and RH LBJs:

Joint Assembly Lower Ball - Toyota (04005-02235)

It's about $20 cheaper than buying the two sides separately. Has anyone purchased this part number successfully before?

Thanks!

JZiggy 01-07-2021 01:17 PM

So the fine folks at McGeorge Toyota confirmed that this kit does indeed have both sides of the LBJs. Just no hardware (castle nut, cotter pin, or bolts).

FD7683 01-08-2021 05:08 AM

I'll be buying this kit along with the large castle nut that comes separately in about 2 weeks from now. When I purchase this kit and arrives, i'll take a picture and post it here. I will also buy them at McGeorge Toyota.

3bears 01-08-2021 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FD7683 (Post 3589015)
I'll be buying this kit along with the large castle nut that comes separately in about 2 weeks from now. When I purchase this kit and arrives, i'll take a picture and post it here. I will also buy them at McGeorge Toyota.

a lot of people recomend replacing the bolts that hold the LBJ to LCA. UP to 2000 had a part # then they changed it for 2001 and 2002

Bad Luck 01-08-2021 03:39 PM

Torque value of that bolt changed as well. 59 lb/ft for older style bolt and 37 lb/ft for the newer style. It takes 4 bolts per side for a total of 8.
1996-2000 is a flanged bolt 90080-10066
2001-2002 is a bolt and washer (it's a little longer than the bolts for 96-00) 90119-10933
Castle nut 90171-A0005

FD7683 01-08-2021 03:52 PM

I'm also buying the 8 bolts with the kit since it's known for failure as well. I have a 2000 so it's good to know the right bolt for my application. Do you guys know if the cotter pin comes with the large castle nut if ordered separately from the LBJ kit? If not, a home depot cotter pin should do it.

Bad Luck 01-08-2021 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FD7683 (Post 3589196)
I'm also buying the 8 bolts with the kit since it's known for failure as well. I have a 2000 so it's good to know the right bolt for my application. Do you guys know if the cotter pin comes with the large castle nut if ordered separately from the LBJ kit? If not, a home depot cotter pin should do it.

Cotter pin is not included

scottndsky 01-10-2021 01:33 PM

Here is some interesting background on the different bolts:

The different LBJ bolts and why it's important, Prado 90 Series — Mighty 90s Forum

My son has a 2001, but we went with the older, shorter, bolts with a higher torque spec: 90080-10066
Having the shorter bolts, we also skipped the dust covers as well.

Many thanks to @mtbtim and @infamousRNR for helping with the install!

LittleCaesar 01-10-2021 02:13 PM

I have to ask if any forum members have seen those dust boots or if they are just specific to the Prado...

scottndsky 01-10-2021 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleCaesar (Post 3589890)
I have to ask if any forum members have seen those dust boots or if they are just specific to the Prado...

I haven't seen them myself. They weren't present on our 2001, most likely because I *think* the LBJs had been replaced before. Not sure...

You can see them on this Tacoma:
How To Replace a Lower Ball Joint on a 2002 Toyota Tacoma - YouTube

And you can also see them in the 2002 4Runner Factory Service Manual, along with the lower torque spec (37) associated with the longer bolts.

Cheers, Scott

heat 01-10-2021 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleCaesar (Post 3589890)

They are present on my '02.

3bears 01-13-2021 04:08 PM

are the dust covers just cosmetic, was gonna order kit and the older bolts ( higher torque so stroger ?)...which I guess dont fit or are a bit short with the dust covers. if just cosmetic, wont go back on.
my 2000 did not have them.

edit: yikes....neither mcgeorge or camelback ship free to alaska, 2 ball joints shipped to me....shipping is over 100.from mcgeorge and over 200 from camleback.... Crazy. that brings the kit to near 300 with bolts.....local dealer wont do price breaks
might have to go individual from amazon

scottndsky 01-13-2021 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bears (Post 3591168)
are the dust covers just cosmetic?

I've never had one in my hands, but I would guess these were introduced to try to prevent road debris from building up around the boots of the lower ball joints. I wouldn't say it is "cosmetic". It certainly looks like they could shield the boots from flying debris. From the front of the car, with the dust covers installed, you can't even see the boots. It seems reasonable this would result in less rocks and junk pelting your boots.

Personally, I left them off because I just liked the idea of the higher torque bolts (which I understood to be too short to accommodate the dust covers). It could be that the dust covers themselves can't tolerate the higher torque, so that may be why there is a lower torque spec to begin with.

3bears 01-13-2021 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottndsky (Post 3591181)
I've never had one in my hands, but I would guess these were introduced to try to prevent road debris from building up around the boots of the lower ball joints. I wouldn't say it is "cosmetic". It certainly looks like they could shield the boots from flying debris. From the front of the car, with the dust covers installed, you can't even see the boots. It seems reasonable this would result in less rocks and junk pelting your boots.

Personally, I left them off because I just liked the idea of the higher torque bolts (which I understood to be too short to accommodate the dust covers). It could be that the dust covers themselves can't tolerate the higher torque, so that may be why there is a lower torque spec to begin with.

thanks, seeing this picture and crawiling underneath, I no longer have dust covers, someone took them off previous

scottndsky 01-14-2021 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bears (Post 3591289)
thanks, seeing this picture and crawiling underneath, I no longer have dust covers, someone took them off previous

Same here. My son's 2001 doesn't have them. We haven't owned the car that long so we don't know the full history. They may have been removed previously, or it never had them to begin with.