Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   magnaflow overland series 5th gen (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/293758-magnaflow-overland-series-5th-gen.html)

ForRun 01-07-2021 08:17 PM

magnaflow overland series 5th gen

1 Attachment(s)
Edit - Update 1/23/21
To me it’s quiet as the TRD system but couldn't get it to drone. Highway cruising 55, 65, 75, 85 was comfortable with a very mild sound but by no means loud. Bottom line when driving normal it sounds very good with a nice tone. If you floor it the system is loud, defiantly not a V8 sound but sounds pretty good and best (that I've heard) for this engine.
I drove for awhile with the windows down and floored it from stopped and rolling punches... similar to the TRD system the cab gets a very slight hint of exhaust but far better than stock. Driving normal I did not smell any.
Bottom line? Thumbs up

Initial post below, ignore my initial review as I found out what was wrong.

This system caught my eye when it was 1st rumored as they advertise no drone. I had the TRD exhaust on my 19 orp and again on the 20 pro. Sounded nice until driving up an incline or real bad when loaded down or towing! In Chicago I really don't overland so for those that do, an added bonus is the highest ground clearance you can get on a runner.

Initial post below, ignore my initial review as I found out what was wrong.

Really hoping this has no drone as I ordered it on release day Monday so I'll chime back in after the install to let you know.
Tech Talk: Overland Series Exhaust Systems
Heres a quote from them-
Versatile Tuning & No Drone Technology:MagnaFlow hasn't solely focused on improving utility and performance, but road manners as well. Every Overland Series exhaust system incorporates MagnaFlow’s new No Drone Technology (NDT). NDT quarter-wave resonators work their magic by cancelling out the droning noises that can sometimes occur in aftermarket exhausts, allowing Magnaflow to offer a system that improves performance both on and off-road while maintaining a calm and relaxed ambience in the interior for long road trips to your ultimate wilderness destinations (or even mundane highway commutes).
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1607449430
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1608461553

M22 01-07-2021 08:42 PM

Looks very interesting, look forward to your review!

ForRun 01-07-2021 09:12 PM

Found a video of the sound
MagnaFlow Toyota 4Runner Overland Series Cat-Back Performance Exhaust System

03_4x4Runner 01-07-2021 09:27 PM

I watched the video. It did not sound good to me. Louder exhaust only sound good on a V8 in my opinion.

usdmej 01-07-2021 10:07 PM

it looks promising!

OP please weigh the exhaust when you get your hands on it. would be a worthwhile mod if it didn't sound obnoxious and also dropped some weight off the vehicle as well

ForRun 01-07-2021 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by usdmej (Post 3588917)
it looks promising!

OP please weigh the exhaust when you get your hands on it. would be a worthwhile mod if it didn't sound obnoxious and also dropped some weight off the vehicle as well

I don't have a scale, sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03_4x4Runner (Post 3588897)
I watched the video. It did not sound good to me. Louder exhaust only sound good on a V8 in my opinion.

You can adjust this one to sound how you want it. I'm looking for no drone. like I said, to me the TRD sounded great until it droned. What works for some won't for others

michalik.piotr6837 01-08-2021 03:01 AM

Would love to read some reviews and hear some sound clips. Thanks!

Vwright14 01-08-2021 12:29 PM

699 Bucks MSRP...thats an awesome price for a Maggy system!!!
Also its a V6, short of a narrow angle DI injected engine...they will really never sound "good" with an aftermarket exhaust system AND NOT drone at some point lol.

Whippersnapper02 01-08-2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vwright14 (Post 3589092)
DI injected engine

The 1GR is not DI.

Charles Bronson 01-08-2021 12:48 PM

Interesting design. I like that you can modify the sound with Helmholtz resonator. I also like the minimalist look with no tip.

From my ears, this system sounds very much like the TRD exhaust from the outside and inside per the video. We installed the TRD exhaust on my wife's 2020 ORP back in early August. The exhaust has about 7K miles and has quieted substantially in that annoying 2500-3000rpm range. I also added some sound insulation to the rear cargo floor which helped. When we first got the exhaust I wasn't impressed as I thought it was way too loud under load in the 2500-3000rpm range. This is the drone range for basically every single exhaust on a gasoline engine. My wife loved it though and it's her truck. I'd never put an exhaust on these trucks as it's nearly impossible to make a V6 sound "healthy". I'm just happy it quieted down as it broke in.

TA2018 01-08-2021 01:15 PM

Forgive my ignorance but how is this different than just chopping the exhaust shorter? Maybe I don't have as discerning ears as some of you, but the stock exhaust doesn't drone or sound bad to me.

1jzgte 01-08-2021 01:27 PM

this thing is just begging for fumes to rise into the cabin.. pass

Ryance39 01-08-2021 01:56 PM

Yeahhhh, this is a pass. To each, their own but putting an exhaust for the purpose of sound on a slow, low powered SUV feels silly to me.

delloro 01-08-2021 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryance39 (Post 3589148)
Yeahhhh, this is a pass. To each, their own but putting an exhaust for the purpose of sound on a slow, low powered SUV feels silly to me.

X10,000

Performance, silence, weight, in that order for me. As I understand things, exhaust adds very little if any power gains to the 4Runner.

When out off road, I want as much peace and quiet as I can get.

Vwright14 01-08-2021 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whippersnapper02 (Post 3589094)
The 1GR is not DI.

I know that's why I said SHORT of d.i. engine or narrow angle v6..... a very doesn't sound good.
Meaning pretty much any N.A. v6 sounds like crap when you put an aftermarket exhaust on it

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk