Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Trd skid (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/293833-trd-skid.html)

cabbymiami 01-10-2021 08:33 AM

Trd skid

I recently purchased a trd skid for my 21 sr5. Unfortunately i did not realise the skid comes with the red trd letters and predrilled holes for the letters. I dont like either. Is there another part number for the skid prior to this one that is stamped trd, w no red letters or holes?

If i can find the older version, ill be selling the new one i just got. I havent installed it.

TRD PANTHER 01-10-2021 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabbymiami (Post 3589787)
I recently purchased a trd skid for my 21 sr5. Unfortunately i did not realise the skid comes with the red trd letters and predrilled holes for the letters. I dont like either. Is there another part number for the skid prior to this one that is stamped trd, w no red letters or holes?

If i can find the older version, ill be selling the new one i just got. I havent installed it.

The previous TRD skid plate, part number PT93800140, has been replaced with the one you bought. You may be able to find an older one on eBay or this forum for sale.

Saker 01-10-2021 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabbymiami (Post 3589787)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRD PANTHER (Post 3589790)
The previous TRD skid plate, part number PT93800140, has been replaced with the one you bought. You may be able to find an older one on eBay or this forum for sale.

You can put different colored letters on the one you have. I had to do that on mine.
There is a website that has them.
True, the older skids have been replaced.

fkheath 01-10-2021 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saker (Post 3589867)
You can put different colored letters on the one you have. I had to do that on mine.
There is a website that has them.
True, the older skids have been replaced.

Tufskinz (Skid Plate Inserts - Fits 2010-2021 4Runner TRD Skid Plate | TufSkinz) has the inserts. BUT be aware that the inserts for the old skid plate are a different size than the new skid plate.

Saker 01-10-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3589886)
Tufskinz (Skid Plate Inserts - Fits 2010-2021 4Runner TRD Skid Plate | TufSkinz) has the inserts. BUT be aware that the inserts for the old skid plate are a different size than the new skid plate.

@fkheath ,
Thanks supplying that link!
Yes, I purchased mine for the new skid plate.

fkheath 01-10-2021 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saker (Post 3589867)

I hit a rock while off roading, which knocked off one of my letters. They are not very well attached. Thus I had to get the Tuffskinz letters to replaced the missing one.

rageandlove 01-11-2021 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3590131)
I hit a rock while off roading, which knocked off one of my letters. They are not very well attached. Thus I had to get the Tuffskinz letters to replaced the missing one.

Are the tuffskinz attached the same way, or do they use adhesive? If the latter, I wonder how long the adhesive lasts.

cabbymiami 01-11-2021 09:19 AM

Thank you for the help. Im considering the plain/ non stamped ebay knock off as an alternative to the lipstick red. Im searching thru the vendors and remember when i was modding my tacoma tgere were some vendors that made skidplates and offered trd cut in as an option for the tacos. Maybe bamf or one of those guys?

Scowling Tuna 01-11-2021 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabbymiami (Post 3590204)
Thank you for the help. Im considering the plain/ non stamped ebay knock off as an alternative to the lipstick red. Im searching thru the vendors and remember when i was modding my tacoma tgere were some vendors that made skidplates and offered trd cut in as an option for the tacos. Maybe bamf or one of those guys?

If you're considering an eBay knock off, why not buy a quality aftermarket one from the vendors (like RCI or similar)? Unless you're looking for the TRD aesthetic specifically.

fkheath 01-11-2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageandlove (Post 3590145)
Are the tuffskinz attached the same way, or do they use adhesive? If the latter, I wonder how long the adhesive lasts.

No. The originals have posts that go into the holes on the plate, plus a very small, square, double sided sticky tape in one place. The Tuffskinz are much better with full back surface sticky tape similar to what the SR5/TRD badges are.

fkheath 01-11-2021 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabbymiami (Post 3590204)

The Tuffskinz come in about a dozen colors --black, white, red, orange, etc.

cabbymiami 01-11-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scowling Tuna (Post 3590219)
If you're considering an eBay knock off, why not buy a quality aftermarket one from the vendors (like RCI or similar)? Unless you're looking for the TRD aesthetic specifically.

True. Ill look em up. If i get access door or whatrver to the filter/drain, even better. Thx for the suggestion.

Saker 01-11-2021 11:53 AM

A little friendly advice!

Read This
and
If you have a TRD Skid Plate Read This!

Scowling Tuna 01-11-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabbymiami (Post 3590245)
True. Ill look em up. If i get access door or whatrver to the filter/drain, even better. Thx for the suggestion.

Skid Plates Archives - Trail4R.com - 5th Gen 4Runner Mods