Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Need to replace some suspension parts (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/293900-need-replace-some-suspension-parts.html)

Arik07 01-12-2021 10:51 AM

Need to replace some suspension parts

07 SR5 4X4. Has 140k miles. Things are starting to go thud when driving over uneven pavement. I'm thinking either stabilizer bar bushings and/or links. While at it I was thinking to just go ahead and replace the shocks too. My question is this...

I'm just looking for economy OEM replacement but I would really really prefer to not buy Chinese made.
Shocks
I tried looking for Tokico but I guess they're not around anymore. Aside from that I only found Balstein 4600 for the shocks. Are there any other ones that don't break the bank? If not what's a good replacement? MOOG? Monroe? ...etc...

Stabilizer bar links.. No idea here. Any suggestions?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

firebirdguy 01-12-2021 12:25 PM

stabilizer bushings can cause a thud or thunk noise when worn... most like to go poly for firmer handling but stock rubber will be better than worn out ones.

for the shocks, i use & suggest KYB. they get great reviews & have a lifetime warranty & are made to be about ~10% stiffer than stock & come with springs installed for fronts, about $100ea & $40ea for rears. they have a very nice ride & KYB usually has a rebate offer too, rock auto will usually be the best price.

AzCasper 01-12-2021 02:03 PM

Consider Eibach for your shocks. Made in the USA and a GREAT company to deal with.

JH225 01-12-2021 04:23 PM

Front sway bar bushings: poly bushings will run you ~$30 on Amazon, and will come with new brackets. Just pay attention to the sizing. Your 4runner either has a 29mm or 30mm diameter bar. Best bet is to measure it before ordering.

For a stock vehicle, sway bar links are sway bar links. The high end ones at autozone are $50 for a pair and have a hefty warranty.

Lastly: be careful with the bushing mounting bolts. The threaded hole is just a square nut that is tack welded to the inside of the frame rail. These often break loose. Just keep that in mind. Maybe you’ll get lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arik07 01-13-2021 09:49 AM

Thanks.

I checked out Eibach. Looks nice but a bit out of my total price range at the moment. Besides, a lot of the stuff looked like it was "custom" for lack of a better word.

So there's no difference in stabilizer bar links? I'm seeing Skip for $6.31 and MOOG for $38.79? (Rock Auto prices)

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

montijo505 01-14-2021 04:58 PM

I'd browse the classifieds and get some 5th Gen OEM take offs, they're consistently available for under 200.nice ride, OEM and cheap

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

jcampo788 01-14-2021 06:26 PM

Great advice below!

Quote:

Originally Posted by montijo505 (Post 3591591)
I'd browse the classifieds and get some 5th Gen OEM take offs, they're consistently available for under 200.nice ride, OEM and cheap

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk