Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Modified 4runner Prices (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/294017-modified-4runner-prices.html)

lockedlex 01-15-2021 10:46 PM

Modified 4runner Prices

Not sure if anyone's been following BaT, but this S/C 1997 4Runner with 170k just sold for 20k (plus a bit more after fees), it was in pretty good condition actually and no rust to speak of.

It makes me want to park my 2000 and just get another one to actually off-road in, LOL.

Supercharged 1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4 for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $20,000 on January 11, 2021 (Lot #41,624) | Bring a Trailer

Malcolm99 01-15-2021 11:57 PM

Wow, This seems to reflect what I'm seeing for all Japanese 1990-2004 vehicles, try to find a decent gen turbo Supra, NSX, Nissan, Mitsu GTO/3000GT or early gen EVO, even the less commonly sot after MR2, Miata and others are not available, ridiculously priced, beat and modified to hell or RHD.. I'll just hang on to my 160k 99 ltd loaded and modified and ignore this craziness and avoid any and all temptation to supercharge a 5vz-Fe even if it's good for it..

spartacus 01-16-2021 01:51 AM

I agree. It used to be Toyota 2000gt's Mazda cosmos were collector cars now the Acura nsx, Nissan 3000 GTR, the z series' Mazda Rx7 in good shape are fetching collector car prices. even the Honda s2000 is getting priced pretty high. An FJ40 fully'restored fetched a 100k a few years back.

lockedlex 01-16-2021 02:05 AM

What's amazing is that these 4runner are going for over $10k (some not even modified very much) and have "normal miles" not garage queens. The modified ones or low mileage are definitely commanding some incredible prices.

I had this same convo at another board I frequent, how J-imports are going through the roof and yes completely agree, even for what were just "regular" cars back then.

Of course, after 10 years, I've gotten my 3rd Gen exactly the way I want it and can't imagine anything else being able to replace it, so I too will be holding onto it. But it's good to know that it's probably gone up in value a little (even after factoring all mods) in the 10 years I've had it, that's pretty amazing.

The sad thing about these prices is they aren't making any more of them and the mint ones are getting rarer, so if ever I had to replace mine, it'll be either impossible or very costly.

Malcolm99 01-16-2021 02:32 AM

^and this is why all of us with rust free low milage rigs should get an appraisal and pay for classic car insurance/antique so we don't get paid out at $3-2000 depending on location and many other factors. That and when they pull the electric car only law on you, you can rock your 4x4 or modified turbo and say it's a classic and I only go out at night:)

raKnizek 01-16-2021 09:45 AM

Other than the red painted engine parts I really like how this one is modified. Pretty under the radar but with some big-impact mods.

infamousRNR 01-23-2021 12:52 AM

would it had fetched 30k if it had a rear locker and a manual trans? my only gripe is with the people who fork over that kind of money and in turn, drive up the price of 3rd gens

St Runner 01-23-2021 08:07 AM

Thing is you can put a manual transmission and a rear locker in a basic auto 4x4. I did, but does doing it yourself increase the value of it compared to having it come that way from the factory?