Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Washington DC Parking Protection? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/294070-washington-dc-parking-protection.html)

Phoreal 01-17-2021 11:50 PM

Washington DC Parking Protection?

So I live in DC and park all of my cars at a hotel parking garage/valet that is a block away from my home.

I realized today that my 4Runner TRD Pro will not fit in the garage, it’s too tall.

Therefore my only option is to leave it street parked, and anyone that knows DC, specifically Georgetown, knows how reckless drivers and parkers are.

Problem with my area is the streets are extremely narrow, and street parking is in high demand. Lots of “bumping” to make cars fit.

I’ve had the front bumper torn off a brand new AMG while parked on the street overnight...

On another occasion, I had a parked motorcycle fall over and break park of a rear diffuser. The motorcycle had been bumped... and the driver ran off.

So -

What would you guys recommend for parking protection? I see lots of bumper bully’s (rubber flaps that hang over the rear bumper) being used... but I’m looking for a more permanent suggestion.

Thinking some sort of bull bar and a tow hitch combo?

And for bull bars, any suggestions on low profile, no bumper cutting options? No need for light bars or winches... really just to protect/deter from aggressive parking.

Same thing with the hitch... won’t ever be towing anything but would like the added visual deference.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

patkelly4370 01-17-2021 11:58 PM

Full steel front & rear bumpers plus sliders.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nobody Special 01-18-2021 12:06 AM

I have to park on the street at times too.

I looked into stuff.
Picked this up since it doesn't "hide" a front plate. (Required in NY/NJ, but I never ran one until now, because I needed *some* front protection.)
Bumper Thumper Ultimate Front Bumper Guard Shock Absorbing Flexible – Luv-Tap
Does not protect sides.
Out of stock but can be had elsewhere.

And this for the rear.
Amazon.com: Smittybilt 27046B Beaver Step for 2-Inch Hitch: Automotive
Secured with
Amazon.com: Connor Trailer Hitch Lock - 5/8" Black Nickel Hitch Pin for Class III, IV, V Hitches, 1615190 Receiver Lock: Automotive

4FL 01-18-2021 01:23 AM

I use to live in Arlington, but wife worked in Georgetown, there is no way I would park on the street like that. One of my wife's coworkers even had his car slammed into because the two lane turns into one at certain times, the other then turns into parking, someone was not paying attention and slammed into the car.

My time there, I saw all sorts of bumping, side scrapping, mirrors hit.

I would find another parking garage, or just move, lol.

Mudballz 01-18-2021 07:09 AM

Park it at a friends/relatives home away from downtown and Uber in better be safer at least past this weekend
ANYTHING could develop quick :target:
Mike

JPGood 01-18-2021 07:56 AM

Ive taken my 2010 4Runner into DC several times and have been able to park in a garage. Perhaps there's another a few blocks away that can accommodate yours.

mnofpeace 01-18-2021 08:39 AM

I work in DC, just outside of Gtown, but also i used to work in Gtown as well. and yes, parking is a mutha down there. Entitled people thinking they can do what they please.

for the hitch, simple, i just left on a spare trailer hitch arm, no ball. Because even if they dont bump you, they have no problem leaving you ZERO space to back up and pull out.

for the front, thats tricky...who wants to mess up their front bumper. I'd go with finding another garage if you can, looking for an outdoor parking lot of some kind that might take a monthly rate, or one of those devices like the thicker license plate holder that protects your bumper some what.

you could also always go with a steel bumper...someone backs into you with that, they will only be looking to pay for their own repairs.

Some people...what can you do...
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/membe...arked-work.jpg

AgentKooper 01-18-2021 10:41 AM

Is your TRDP too tall for the garage because of the roof rack? Maybe replace that with OEM rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fkheath 01-18-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentKooper (Post 3593042)
Is your TRDP too tall for the garage because of the roof rack? Maybe replace that with OEM rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or remove the roof rack entirely: Amazon.com: TOYOTA 2004 to 2020 4Runner 2006 to 2018 Rav4 ROOF Rack Removal Delete KIT OEM Genuine: Automotive

You can sell your TRD Pro roof rack on Ebay for $500+.

STLDAVE 01-18-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoreal (Post 3592938)
So I live in DC and park all of my cars at a hotel parking garage/valet that is a block away from my home.

I realized today that my 4Runner TRD Pro will not fit in the garage, it’s too tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have you actually measured the height of the garage or you going by the hotel's advertised maximum height?

The last time I was in the DC area the hotel where we stayed advertised a maximum clearance of 6 feet in their garage, which is about 6 inches lower than my Trail Edition. However, the actual ceiling height in the garage was over 7 feet. The only thing that has ever touched in a hotel garage anywhere is the radio antenna. I think the hotels understate their clearance heights for liability purposes.

badattitude 01-18-2021 02:05 PM

Remove roof rack so it fits in the garage. Roof rack delete

Friggin Idiot 01-18-2021 03:41 PM

Personally I'd go with a semi auto in .30 cal or larger and a folding stock. A Ruger Mini14 in 300BLK would be ideal.

Nobody Special 01-18-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badattitude (Post 3593123)
Remove roof rack so it fits in the garage. Roof rack delete

Drive right into the garage for quick removal. :bluejump::tongue:

Nobody Special 01-18-2021 04:16 PM

:hungry: :tongue: :hungry: :tongue: :hungry: :tongue: :hungry:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1d/b7...05f7785ee2.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/11/72...e3e5a28e7c.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/28/a5...2fafa3e991.jpg

Salvo Jimmy 01-18-2021 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This could work😉😁😎😇