Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   Questions for those who have owned both 3rd and 4th gens (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/294208-questions-those-who-have-owned-both-3rd-4th-gens.html)

Runner-Wannabe 01-21-2021 08:11 PM

Questions for those who have owned both 3rd and 4th gens

I have a few questions for those who have owned both 3rd and 4th gens.

I’ve posted a few times, but as a recap, Im looking for a good, older 4R that I can use for several years. Right now, it will be an occasional vehicle, mostly spring/summer/fall but I’m thinking of a career change and it may have to be a DD.

Currently, I have enough spare nickels squirreled away for a 3rd gen or a lower option early 4th gen.
I haven’t made the move yet because I’m still socking away hoping to get a clean, later model 4th gen.

So for you real world experience folks, are the 4th gens THAT much more powerful? (6cyl vs 6cyl, I know the 8cyls are quite good)

Reliability between the two; 4th gen? (Age/rust issues aside) driveline, electrical, suspension etc. I want a 2000-2002 3rd or a 2005 up 4th

Corrosion issues, again age factor aside, is one more prone than the other?

The only thing about I can say I actually prefer about the 3rd gen is the classic look. (Actually the 2nd gen is the best looking to me but way too spartan)

I guess what I’m trying to figure out is if I should keep saving for another 1-1.5 years until I can afford a late model 4th, or buy a solid 3rd and live with that. I was hoping to have one on the road for this summer.

Or just be patient and keep saving?

oljedi11950 01-21-2021 10:33 PM

2nd gen

Always wanted to do a crazy one with 2nd gen & the 3.4 motor switch from 3rd miss the tailgate ! Look in for sale !

volkinator 01-22-2021 05:44 PM

went from a supercharged, lifted, armored 3rd gen to a V8 4th gen limited (lifted with tires, but no skids/sliders yet)

the 4th gen is much more comfortable as a daily. More room, creature comforts, a few extra airbag which was a plus, and felt a bit better with a growing family in it.

If it's a daily or for general stuff, I'd say the 4th. Offroad I LOVE the 3rd gen. Smaller and easier to maneuver. Both have great visibility, but the 3rd just felt easier to put in the right spot.

Either way, can't go wrong. Both will have maintenance items that you can find all over here. Honestly, drive them both and see what you like. 99+ for 3rd gen for sure though. The center console is worth it. If you don't need the locking diff go for a 01/02

spartacus 01-22-2021 06:21 PM

They are both great vehicles. I'am biased towards the 3rd Gen cause I've owned one for two decades .If you can find one with little or no rust, good maintenance records even with like 200k miles it's'good buy.

John in NC 01-25-2021 05:34 PM

Seems like the 4th gen is the sweet spot at the moment, 3rd gens are either crazy expensive or 250,000+ miles, and 5th gens are only 'cheap' if it's a 2010-2011 and high miles?
Used cars are crazy expensive right now, add in the Toyota brand and it's big money.

Dragon_EX 01-27-2021 02:38 PM

I've had a 3rd gen for over 10 years and only recently did I start to learn about all of its off-road capabilities. Interesting to read that the consensus is that the 4th gen is better as a daily driver.