Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   I am looking for tires. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/294209-i-am-looking-tires.html)

Signal 01-21-2021 08:46 PM

I am looking for tires.

I have narrowed it down to Yokohama Geolander M/t's, GrabberX3's Maybe Cooper STT max's and Ironman M/t's. I am looking for real work experiences with them. I live on the Gulf so we get tons of rain which means water. Size will be 285-70-17

MAST4R 01-21-2021 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal (Post 3594488)
I have narrowed it down to Yokohama Geolander M/t's, GrabberX3's Maybe Cooper STT max's and Ironman M/t's. I am looking for real work experiences with them. I live on the Gulf so we get tons of rain which means water. Size will be 285-70-17

Cannot help overall, but maybe replace the STT Maxx with the ATZ P3, which has a premium compound, is surprisingly great on road, and has no wandering issues unlike what has been reported about the STT Maxx sibling.

fkheath 01-21-2021 11:28 PM

I've used BFG KO2 a number of times and have been pleased with them. Some people have reported balancing problems, but I have not had that issue. BFG are made by Michelin.

Cymon 01-22-2021 12:22 PM

MTR aren't know for their great wet pavement traction. I think you might want to add Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT to the list. Their compounding is outstanding in wet weather, and tread depth is 17/32...so on par with a lot of mud terrains. I had the previous version of the AT3 in LRC and it was fantastic in the Florida rain, cleared mud well for an all-terrain in the SE mud, held its own in Appalachian Mountain rocks and did great in Vermont snow/ice. They are also really good highway travelers for an all-terrain.

I currently am running stock size Falkens, and they have also done everything asked of them well. If I were to jump up to a 285 tire I would switch (the Falkens are heavy) and go back to the Coopers.

Bry n 05-02-2021 02:14 PM

Toyo Open Country A/T III Review of 2021: an Excellent All-Terrain Tire - Tire Deets

I live in the high desert where i experience ALL road conditions and 4 seasons while still in california. 25k miles in with these on my t4r, driven almost daily, and I plan to stick with these when they eventually wear out. I've driven these hard through the angeles crest hwy (2) on wet conditions and can almost drive just as hard as if it was dry. This is a very windy and dynamic elevation changing canyon road. off pavement These tires have yet to get me stuck anywhere. from super sandy wash area (portions of trail in the san Bernardino area, ie: hisperia, etc.) to loose gravel. I dont rock crawl, so I dont know how they'll fair on large, flat, slippery rock... but since they perform so well on wet pavement, im sure they'll do just fine.