Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Those with dogs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/294223-those-dogs.html)

JsinLegacy 01-22-2021 11:38 AM

Those with dogs

Just got a new puppy and am wanting to take him every where with me so trying to find a solution for keeping dirt, hair and what not off the back seat as much as possible. I've looked at seat covers and everything but just can't really decide. Thought I would come here and see what others think or did.

So seeing is people had ideas for maybe keeping the doors from getting scratched up.

Also, unsure if the back seat or cargo area is the best place for the dog. He is a bullmastiff.

Thank you.

spartacus 01-22-2021 11:49 AM

This is a good one if you don't want to tie to the front seat you can just lay it flat down on the floor board.
Amazon.com : Vailge Extra Large Dog Car Seat Covers, 100% Waterproof Dog Seat Cover for Back Seat with Zipper Side Flap, Heavy Duty seat Cover for Dogs, Dog car Hammock Pet Seat Cover for Cars Trucks suvs : Pet Supplies

Sundy 01-22-2021 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I leave a blanket it back but not too concerned with the softex. I wipe it down with a warm wash cloth to clean up the dirt, have never had an issue with cuts / permanent scratches. I try to keep their nails in check.

We have 2x Gordon Setters, so they are pretty active but smaller (40ish lbs for the fully grown, the pup will likely get to 50 lbs)

08TxRunner 01-22-2021 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3594642)

I have that one for my Tacoma and it's great. I recommend it too.

IanB 01-22-2021 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check out Canvasback cargo liners, they have panels that cover the 2nd row seatbacks as well as the cargo floor, and lots of options if you want to add a flap to protect the rear bumper, the rear hatch plastics, the wheel well plastics, flaps to expose the tie down points, red stitching, etc.

JohnBe4r 01-22-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanB (Post 3594684)
Check out Canvasback cargo liners, they have panels that cover the 2nd row seatbacks as well as the cargo floor, and lots of options if you want to add a flap to protect the rear bumper, the rear hatch plastics, the wheel well plastics, flaps to expose the tie down points, red stitching, etc.

I agree with IanB here. Canvasback saved me on cleaning. I got 2 large dogs which one sheds like crazy. 1 large lab and 1 pitty. Kinda pricy but definitely worth the purchase.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

IanB 01-22-2021 01:48 PM

My only reservation with the Canvasback product is it's kind of slippery (great for cleanup though), if you have a dog bed back there make sure it's an anti-skid bottom on it, or can otherwise be secured in place.

97BlackAckCL 01-22-2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanB (Post 3594695)
My only reservation with the Canvasback product is it's kind of slippery (great for cleanup though), if you have a dog bed back there make sure it's an anti-skid bottom on it, or can otherwise be secured in place.

Totally agree, I have the Canvasback liners as well and they are great, but my dogs slide around and have a hard time getting a grip while the truck is moving. Definitely a nice covering for the back of the seats, but I really want to add some kind of thin rubber liner to cover that to help the dogs from sliding around everywhere

RedSled 01-22-2021 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL (Post 3594751)
Totally agree, I have the Canvasback liners as well and they are great, but my dogs slide around and have a hard time getting a grip while the truck is moving. Definitely a nice covering for the back of the seats, but I really want to add some kind of thin rubber liner to cover that to help the dogs from sliding around everywhere

1/4” rubber truck bed mat, trust me nothing slips on this. You can take it out, spray it off, done.

Grape Ape 01-22-2021 07:04 PM

My rear seats are folded down and I put a YETI Lowlands blanket back there to cover the entire space. Heavy enough to stay in place and ridiculously durable. It also has a softer quilted side or you can flip it over to the waterproof side.

Mudhorn 01-23-2021 01:21 AM

Canvasback w/ LL Bean dog blanket. Just take the blanket out at campsites to double as a dog bed. Canvasback has been great for cleaning up other messes in the back as well.
But with the second row seat up I have not had issue wiping off the softex. Have the dog hammock for my wife’s car and if works well, just have to put it up each time the dogs ride.

Deuxdiesel 01-23-2021 08:28 AM

I have a greyhound and she slides around a bit on the canvasback. Grey's have "hare feet" so it's tough for them if there claws are even a bit on the long side. I throw a cheap crate pad down on top of the canvasback and it works really well. No issues with the softex either- so much better than cloth!

85GT-79FJ40 01-23-2021 09:21 AM

I have a VERY active and somewhat poorly behaved dog. Jack Russell/Boston terrier mix supposedly. 9 years old and still full of it. He has to be leashed in a vehicle or he will lick every window and jump all over anyone in it while I'm driving. Anyhow when I had my double cab tacoma I used one of the hammock covers and it was fantastic. In the 4Runner I leash him in the back to one of the tie downs and I have the factory plastic liner screwed down to the slide-out tray. Works pretty good and he can stick his head out the back window which he loves.

Bassturd 01-23-2021 10:25 AM

I have a cattle dog mix and he’s all over the place. So I just throw a small kennel in the back with a synthetic down blanket. This is the first of 3 dogs I have done this with and love it!! Windows stay clean and my trim panels aren’t scratched up. The best part is %90 of the hairs stays in the kennel. Just take it out and hose her off.

97BlackAckCL 01-23-2021 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSled (Post 3594806)
1/4” rubber truck bed mat, trust me nothing slips on this. You can take it out, spray it off, done.

Have a link to what you used? Most look precut