Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/)
-   -   Mystery Connectors on my 4th gen 4runner (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/29439-mystery-connectors-my-4th-gen-4runner.html)

A/V1 07-20-2007 02:11 AM

Mystery Connectors on my 4th gen 4runner

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. I've noticed a couple mystery connectors on my 4th gen 4runner and REALLY REALLY want to know what they go to. The first is of a connector that was basically foam taped up behind the dash by my 115vac switch & center diff lock switch. It's blue, a 6 pin connector, but only uses 4 positions. Two are for lighting, but not sure what the other two wires are for. Any help would be great.

I just want to know if there is a feature I could have but don't because the switch wasn't installed. I thought it may be for the side curtain airbag off switch but it's not. My runner is 4WD so I don't think it would be for the "auto LSD" would it? Would it benefit me if I had the switch plugged in?

Thanks! :awais:

A/V1 07-20-2007 02:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The next connectors are under the dash on the driver's side in the kick panel area. There are two white connectors which just hang there. There is another white connector, but that is for adding a brake controller. Again, I'm just very curious what wires go to these connectors.

Anybody know???

A/V1 07-20-2007 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok. I think I've found the answer to the first connector. It looks like it goes to a traction off switch but isn't used for the V8 4WDs. Don't yet know why it would make a difference, but looks like that's what it is.

I've pieced together bits of a couple diagrams from various wiring pdfs to show what I've found.

A/V1 07-22-2007 12:32 PM

Anyone else have a clue on the other connectors? Do all of the 4th gens have this?

PLEASE feel free to check your own 4th gens & reply! :D

gizmopt2002 07-22-2007 12:46 PM

I'm surprised there isn't more response to this thread! I've seen those too, and my friend you may have just stumbled upon the beginnings of a real VSC off switch, as mine has some kinks to work out. We need somebody who has 2WD to take out their VSC switch and look at their connector. Ok, I'm pretty convinced that when you put the switch in, You will have a VSC off switch. Traction control switch $44.68. So I'm gonna go to my dealer, and ask to see this switch, and if the connector fits right and it work, I'm gonna make a write-up, all credit to you of course.

blk05runner 07-22-2007 06:43 PM

VSC off switch would be nice but might be more then just to buy the switch.
keeps us posted and what you find.

gizmopt2002 09-08-2007 08:47 PM

Never got an e-mail about your response blk05runner, but I forgot that I had the V6, so unfortunately I was not able to figure it out. But OTOH, I had the dash apart the other day to route my tape adapter cuz it was bothering me, and should have looked for those wires.

blk05runner 09-08-2007 09:08 PM

never got a PM from you gizmopt2002
I guess no one here has a V8 and knows anything about this. hum!

gizmopt2002 09-08-2007 10:07 PM

Damn electronic communication! lol. well we will see who chimes in about his subject...:corn:

A/V1 11-29-2007 01:14 AM

Well, I know it's been a while since we last discussed this but I got the VSC switch to see what it does!

I installed it and went out for a little drive. I reached forward towards the switch and (drum-roll please).....

NOTHING HAPPENED!

I tried it parked in gravel, while driving, 4-wheel high, 4-wheel low, & nothing. As far as I can tell, it does nothing (for 4WD V8).

Obviously, if you want to try it you don't need the switch. Simply take a short wire and short out the two non-illumination contacts to simulate having a switch there. :(

blk05runner 11-29-2007 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by A/V1
Well, I know it's been a while since we last discussed this but I got the VSC switch to see what it does!

I installed it and went out for a little drive. I reached forward towards the switch and (drum-roll please).....

NOTHING HAPPENED!

I tried it parked in gravel, while driving, 4-wheel high, 4-wheel low, & nothing. As far as I can tell, it does nothing (for 4WD V8).

Obviously, if you want to try it you don't need the switch. Simply take a short wire and short out the two non-illumination contacts to simulate having a switch there. :(

I'm sure it does but is more then just adding the switch. There might be a fuse that needs to be plug in.
give that a try once you find it and let us know.

A/V1 11-29-2007 06:27 AM

Well unfortunately, I think that's just wishful thinking. Look at the wiring diagrams. There's nothing else in there that should be the deciding factor. Apparently it's disabled or just simply not a factor on 4WDs.

As I said, you don't need the specific switch to try this. All the switch does is makes contact between the two wires. You can do that by just shorting the two wires with something (shorting wire). So if you want to look for this unicorn, go ahead. LOL. I'm going to drop it and accept it the way it is. If you find something, let us know. ;):

Now to figure out what the other two connectors are for under the dash...

Quote:

Originally posted by blk05runner
I'm sure it does but is more then just adding the switch. There might be a fuse that needs to be plug in.
give that a try once you find it and let us know.

A/V1 11-29-2007 01:55 PM

DAMMIT! Now you've really got me thinking about it! Looking at the wiring diagram & component notes, it only mentions the 1GR-FE engine as not having it, not the 2UZ-FE. Hmmm....

Alright, not giving up yet.:mad: