Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Clank Sound Start Up (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/294402-clank-sound-start-up.html)

Chilow 01-28-2021 01:22 PM

Clank Sound Start Up

This morning, I noticed a strange clanking noise coming from the front. The vehicle was parked outside overnight and this was a cold start. Car drove fine so I'm not sure how serious this could be.

Not sure how long this has been going on. I normally start the car with the door closed, but this morning I started it up with the driver door open and that's when I heard the noise.

I will try again tomorrow morning, but wanted to see if anybody else experienced this. This is a 2014 SR4 4x4 model with a little over 100k miles.

Saker 01-28-2021 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilow (Post 3597233)
This morning, I noticed a strange clanking noise coming from the front. The vehicle was parked outside overnight and this was a cold start. Car drove fine so I'm not sure how serious this could be.

Not sure how long this has been going on. I normally start the car with the door closed, but this morning I started it up with the driver door open and that's when I heard the noise.

I will try again tomorrow morning, but wanted to see if anybody else experienced this. This is a 2014 SR4 4x4 model with a little over 100k miles.

Can you make a sound clip so we can help?

jp.vegas 01-28-2021 02:43 PM

This poor little guy is probably frozen...

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ster-power.jpg

Chilow 01-28-2021 03:42 PM

Not my video, but sounds like this.

FJ Cruiser Hard Start Up Sound - YouTube

fkheath 01-29-2021 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilow (Post 3597313)
Not my video, but sounds like this.

FJ Cruiser Hard Start Up Sound - YouTube

Just a guess -- sound a bit like valve noise. Caused by the hydraulic valve lifters bleeding down after a long sit. No harm done if it goes away soon after the oil pressure builds up.

ctnewman 01-29-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3597500)
Just a guess -- sound a bit like valve noise. Caused by the hydraulic valve lifters bleeding down after a long sit. No harm done if it goes away soon after the oil pressure builds up.

Yeah, in the video it sounds like a lifter bleeding down.

Next time it does it, turn the car off immediately, wait a couple seconds and restart. If it doesn't happen again, it's probably a bled down lifter.

If it DOES happen again, and it hasn't been this cold in a while, there's a chance that because of the cold, that a heat shield or something that's now JUST close enough to make contact. Metal moves as a function of temperature. It's possible that there due to extreme cold it's moved enough to make contact. My pickup truck did this.

08TxRunner 01-29-2021 11:34 AM

There are no "hydraulic valve lifters" in this engine.

Chilow 01-29-2021 11:37 AM

Update: started the vehicle this morning and heard it very slightly. Lasted like half a second. Around the same time in the morning as last time. Temperature was about the same as well.

ctnewman 01-29-2021 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08TxRunner (Post 3597596)

Is it just cam on valve? I'm still in the stoneage over here spending most of my time working on old harleys.

TEujunga 01-29-2021 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Oh yes, there are:

fkheath 01-29-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

A rose by any other name ----.

The 4Runner repair manual (TOYOTA 2016-2019 4Runner Repair Manual RM27F0U) calls them "Valve Lash Adjustment Assembly", and the OEM parts list (2018 Toyota 4Runner Premium Engine Camshaft Follower - 137500P020 - Genuine Toyota Part) calls them "Engine Camshaft Followers".

Still the same idea: a hydraulic device to take up any gap between the cam and the valve.

fkheath 01-29-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctnewman (Post 3597609)
Is it just cam on valve? I'm still in the stoneage over here spending most of my time working on old harleys.

No, not cam on valve. "Solid lifters", adjustable or not, on cars are long gone. All modern cars have a hydraulic device to take up any valve gap.

They have a one way valve to pressurize a piston with engine oil pressure. The factory repair manual has a good illustration of the device on page 4244.

If the one way valve leaks a bit, they will bleed down, causing a chattering noise until the oil pressure recharges them.

jp.vegas 01-29-2021 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilow (Post 3597598)
Update: started the vehicle this morning and heard it very slightly. Lasted like half a second. Around the same time in the morning as last time. Temperature was about the same as well.

When's the last time you checked the oil level?

CutthroatSlam 01-29-2021 01:42 PM

Sounds like starter disengaged flywheel and continued to run while trying to re-engage the flywheel. Has nothing to do with valve train.

08TxRunner 01-29-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEujunga (Post 3597629)
Oh yes, there are:

Nope. A lash adjuster is not a lifter. We should try to use the proper terms.