Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Long Crank Time (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/294446-long-crank-time.html)

gruenegenes 01-29-2021 05:30 PM

Long Crank Time

First time post. I really appreciate all I've learned from you guys.

I know, long crank time is a common topic. I've read every thread. Some multiple times. I also recognize this is a common issue to 3rd gens, but this is my daughter's car and I don't want to risk her getting stuck somewhere. Here's what I've done so far:
- Checked and cleaned all grounds in the engine compartment
- Replaced plugs
- Replaced plug wires
- Replaced battery
- Replaced fuel filter
- Replaced air filter
- Replaced PCV valve
- Replaced fuel pump and pump screen
- Replaced front (AF) and rear O2 sensors
- Cleaned MAF sensor
- Cleaned throttle body
- Disconnected battery to clear memory
- I don't smell any fuel in the fuel pressure regulator vent line

All of this work - primarily the O2 sensors, the fuel pump and the grounds - reduced the crank time, but it's still longer than normal. What's odd is that sometimes it's longer than others, so the problem has an intermittent flavor to it.

I'd really appreciate any recommendations on what to do next. I'm thinking of fuel pressure regulator, coolant temp sensor, intake air temp sensor, IAC valve...... I'd really like to know how to test these items or any others before simply replacing the part.

2002, SR5, 4WD, 170,000 miles

19963.4lsr5 01-29-2021 05:37 PM

What do you consider longer than normal?

3 plus seconds before the engine starts is normal. The fuel pump only starts pumping when you engage the starter.

Don’t compare the 4Runner to an American vehicle when at key on the fuel pump runs 3 seconds to pressurize the fuel rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FD7683 01-29-2021 05:50 PM

Do a compression test on each cylinder. It could tell the health of the piston rings. On cold startups, it takes a bit longer than usual but when its warmed up, it fires up real quick. At least thats with my car.

EDIT: When was the timing belt replaced?

Dragon_EX 01-29-2021 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3597785)

3 plus seconds before the engine starts is normal. The fuel pump only starts pumping when you engage the starter.

Don’t compare the 4Runner to an American vehicle when at key on the fuel pump runs 3 seconds to pressurize the fuel rail.

I assumed the 4runner did the same thing, running the pump at key on. Mine takes a little long to crank and it worried me a bit but if this is the case then I guess I shouldn't be worried every time I start the engine.

Bad Luck 01-29-2021 06:31 PM

Time it with a stopwatch on cold starts and let us know what you come up with.

phattyduck 01-29-2021 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gruenegenes (Post 3597782)
First time post. I really appreciate all I've learned from you guys.

I know, long crank time is a common topic. I've read every thread. Some multiple times. I also recognize this is a common issue to 3rd gens

It isn't just common. It is how they were from the factory... Mine has been in the family since new and has always taken 2+ seconds to start. In its old age now, it sometimes takes a second round of starter engagement (I stop after about 3-4 seconds).

It is by far the 'longest' starting of any of the vehicles I have owned (other than old manual choke carbureted stuff) - including other Toyotas. (My '89 Camry takes barely a tap of the key to start) But guess what? The 4Runner has always started over its 298k miles.

-Charlie

spartacus 01-29-2021 07:57 PM

4runners lack the prime circuit for the fuel pump like most other cars thus it takes longer cracking. yet the fuel pumps last a long time.

Zingvs 01-29-2021 08:25 PM

Try turning it to the "on" position before starting it. This gives the fuel pump a longer chance to engage before attempting to start.

gruenegenes 01-30-2021 12:07 AM

Prior to the work I did, the crank time was 2+ seconds. I have it down to about 1.5 seconds. But sometimes it’s way longer and sometimes you have to stop cranking and turn the key again. Doesn’t matter if engine is hot or cold. Strange

spartacus 01-30-2021 12:26 AM

Injector leak can also be a cause of long cranks. Wouldn't hurt to inspect the spark plugs for black suit.

jross20 01-30-2021 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3597785)

Which is kind of weird because my experiences with LS400's were not 3 seconds or even 2 seconds... but virtually instantly. I've never seen an engine start so fast, especially in 40 F

Almost like it was "frozen" in a running state and the key unfroze it. So crazy.

:shocked:

fixxor 01-30-2021 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3597958)
Injector leak can also be a cause of long cranks. Wouldn't hurt to inspect the spark plugs for black suit.

This was the cause for my long crank.

19963.4lsr5 01-30-2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jross20 (Post 3597974)
Which is kind of weird because my experiences with LS400's were not 3 seconds or even 2 seconds... but virtually instantly. I've never seen an engine start so fast, especially in 40 F

Almost like it was "frozen" in a running state and the key unfroze it. So crazy.

:shocked:

My rig is right around 2 seconds. It does annoy me it’s not an instant start it was one thing I had to get use to.

jross20 01-30-2021 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3598054)
My rig is right around 2 seconds. It does annoy me it’s not an instant start it was one thing I had to get use to.

So what is considered normal? Mine tends to take from 2-3 seconds.

You know, sometimes... rarely, the starter seems to remember it's youth and turns the engine over with piss and vinegar making it start in what feels like 1 second.

What controls starter speed? Maybe we all have worn out starters...haha.

gruenegenes 01-30-2021 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3597958)

That’s an interesting point. Here’s a pic of one of the plugs I changed last month. Does this look like a sign of an injector leak?