Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   275/55r20 Tire pressure? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/294466-275-55r20-tire-pressure.html)

17Jetta 01-30-2021 01:45 PM

275/55r20 Tire pressure?

Let me start by saying, IM SORRY.

I searched high and low and could not find a clear answer to my questions.

Finally made up my mind and put a set of Geolandar G015 275/55r20 on my stock limited wheels.

Load rating on this tire is XL so still a passenger car tire with a higher load capacity, not an LT tire from what I understand. Still slightly confused on this one. To add to my confusion on this. This is a 6 ply tire, with a max 50psi rating. Doesn’t this line up directly with a C rated LT tire?

With the XL rating in mind, what tire pressure should I be running? 32psi like Toyota recommended for the stock 245/60r20 that was on there? Or something a little higher? Max psi stamped on the tire is 50psi.

Appreciate any input.

17Jetta 01-30-2021 07:52 PM

Oooof. Nothing huh? We’ll see how long Yokohama takes to respond...

fkheath 01-30-2021 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17Jetta (Post 3598096)

Finally made up my mind and put a set of Geolandar G015 275/55r20 on my stock limited wheels.

Load rating on this tire is XL so still a passenger car tire with a higher load capacity, not an LT tire from what I understand. Still slightly confused on this one. To add to my confusion on this. This is a 6 ply tire, with a max 50psi rating. Doesn’t this line up directly with a C rated LT tire?

With the XL rating in mind, what tire pressure should I be running? 32psi like Toyota recommended for the stock 245/60r20 that was on there? Or something a little higher? Max psi stamped on the tire is 50psi.

Appreciate any input.

Keep with the 32 PSI which should be on a sticker on the drivers door jam. That is the pressure on my SR5 sticker, too, and also the TRD OR and Pro which has more rugged tires.

The Max pressure (50PSI) is for max tire load, which you would never encounter on a 4Runner.

Nobody Special 01-30-2021 08:28 PM

Tire Pressure Calculator

17Jetta 01-30-2021 11:48 PM

Thanks for the input fellas. I increased the pressure to 38 for now and it’s seems to ride much better than at 32. Harshness over bumps has decreased with the increase in pressure.

I’ve sent Yokohama an email, hopefully they can get back to me sooner than later.

Interested to hear from someone with a limited who’s running the same size tires as this seems to be a pretty common size swap.

There’s no way this pressure change is correct:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...aa778f1cac.jpg

17Jetta 02-03-2021 08:41 PM

Yokohama responded with...

27psi.

32 feels way too squishy, can’t imagine 27 is gonna be better.

Sticking with 38 for a couple thousand miles and keep an eye on tread depth readings.

henntseng 10-31-2022 03:03 PM

just curious how your tire wear is going? i was on that tire pressure calculator site as well and saw the 27psi. i may be going to that size tire in the future on my limited as well

Lexington 11-01-2022 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17Jetta (Post 3598096)

Appreciate any input.

Because it is still considered a passenger tire, although one that can carry a heavier load, I would assume you would use the TP rating on the door. However, if you want to know for sure I recommend contacting the manufacturer directly. I’m sure they can tell you what it’s the best tire pressure for your vehicle.

Bmnorm2 11-01-2022 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 17Jetta (Post 3600051)
Yokohama responded with...

27psi.

32 feels way too squishy, can’t imagine 27 is gonna be better.

Sticking with 38 for a couple thousand miles and keep an eye on tread depth readings.

Am i misunderstanding something here? Both Yokohoma, the tire manufacturer, and the online pressure calculator tell you 27 psi, but you'll just stick with 38 psi because you didn't actually want an answer?

Have you considered the change in feel, is entirely due to changing from an On Highway All Season to an On/Off Road All Terrain tire?

2021nightshade4x4 11-01-2022 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexington (Post 3767799)
Because it is still considered a passenger tire, although one that can carry a heavier load, I would assume you would use the TP rating on the door. However, if you want to know for sure I recommend contacting the manufacturer directly. I’m sure they can tell you what it’s the best tire pressure for your vehicle.

BFG KO2 in 275/55R20 are a load range D1 which has a max inflation of 65 PSI. I find them comfortable at 45 PSI with nothing in tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk