Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Installed inside and outside temp gauge (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/294485-installed-inside-outside-temp-gauge.html)

gruenegenes 01-30-2021 10:29 PM

Installed inside and outside temp gauge

My daughter has been wanting a gauge to know the outside temp for her 2002 SR5. I’m a stock/OEM kinda guy so I wasn’t wanting to modify the dash much. Here’s what I bought. It measures inside and outside temp.

IS Icstation Digital Thermometer
Amazon.com : IS Icstation Digital Thermometer, Car Auto Temperature Gauge Sensor, DC 4-28V Fahrenheit Dual Display, Monitor with 2 NTC Waterproof Probes for Aquarium Vehicle Fish Tank : Pet Supplies

I tapped the fuse box with this:

Nilight Fuse Holder Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP Adapter
Amazon.com: Nilight Fuse Holder Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holder-10 Pack , 2 years Warranty: Automotive

The vehicle has 3 power ports on the dash, which is a lot, so I installed the gauge in place of one of the outlets. I cut the rectangular opening with a dremel. I kind of buggered up the opening because the dremel mostly melted the plastic instead of cutting. There’s probably a better way. In the space below, I installed a USB/aux port for the head unit

The I put the outside temp probe at the grill. The probe lead that came with the gauge wasn’t long enough so I spliced in some wire and ran it through the firewall with the hood latch cable and wire harness.

Here are some pics

gruenegenes 01-30-2021 10:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Looks like the pics didn’t make it. I’ll try again...

Wedgy 01-31-2021 02:05 PM

Very nice ! If you get some heat bleed off from the engine try putting the sensor in the air box.

raty4R 01-31-2021 02:10 PM

Awesome find and mod. Will that fit where the emergency flasher button is?
I always hated it in the middle of the dash and want to move it somewhere else.

3bears 01-31-2021 11:23 PM

nice clean job. been thinking of something like this for a while.

gruenegenes 02-01-2021 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raty4R (Post 3598488)
Awesome find and mod. Will that fit where the emergency flasher button is?
I always hated it in the middle of the dash and want to move it somewhere else.

Too big for that location. It’s more similar in size to the clock.