Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rear Mounted Pod Lights (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/294561-rear-mounted-pod-lights.html)

Travtaz997 02-02-2021 06:05 PM

Rear Mounted Pod Lights

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get some ideas on rear mounted pod lights. I'm an Event Manager and I use my 4runner a lot when I have to temporarily block paths, drive through fields, etc at my festivals and events so I want to add some flashing white/amber lights.

I have a Feniex 4200 Mini Controller that I'm going to use because I want to be able to do flashing white/amber as well as solid white (or amber) as an accessory light if needed.

Any ideas on where and how to mount some pod lights in the rear? I've thought about doing some flush mounts in the rear bumper but I'm not convinced yet.

T4R416 02-02-2021 06:49 PM

Currently in same boat, but looking to fab up some mounts off my roof bars .. best bet.

Mudballz 02-02-2021 07:45 PM

Subscribed I’ve been looking for a solution for almost a year it’s pissing me off a bit:mad2:
Mike

Ascole 02-03-2021 01:13 AM

You have a roof rack? I welded some small tabs on the back corners of my gobi rack, works well. Needed reverse lighting for my trailer when backing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lewis26 02-03-2021 09:21 AM

Could sink a pair of these into the spoiler?

Amazon.com: EBESTauto LED Flush Mount Pods, Flush Mount LED Pods 20W Flush Mount LED Lights 12V LED Work Light Bumper Driving Lights Off Road LED Pod Lamp Backup for ATV UTV SUV Truck Boat: Automotive

Would give you height advantage when using it as strobes or just area lighting.

On my F150 I had one of these mounted in the license plate bolt holes.

Amazon.com: Kawell 18W LED Light Bar Off Road LED Flood Work Light Bar for Cabin Boat SUV Truck ATV Fishing Deck Driving: Automotive

I've been debating making up an angled shim to use it on the plate in the T4R as well.

Travtaz997 02-03-2021 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascole (Post 3599668)
You have a roof rack? I welded some small tabs on the back corners of my gobi rack, works well. Needed reverse lighting for my trailer when backing up.

That was one of my other thoughts. I don't have a roof rack but might consider getting one because that would be easy to add lights to.

Travtaz997 02-03-2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewis26 (Post 3599724)
Could sink a pair of these into the spoiler?

Amazon.com: EBESTauto LED Flush Mount Pods, Flush Mount LED Pods 20W Flush Mount LED Lights 12V LED Work Light Bumper Driving Lights Off Road LED Pod Lamp Backup for ATV UTV SUV Truck Boat: Automotive

Would give you height advantage when using it as strobes or just area lighting.

On my F150 I had one of these mounted in the license plate bolt holes.

Amazon.com: Kawell 18W LED Light Bar Off Road LED Flood Work Light Bar for Cabin Boat SUV Truck ATV Fishing Deck Driving: Automotive

I've been debating making up an angled shim to use it on the plate in the T4R as well.

The spoiler is an interesting idea. And it would probably be easy to run wires since there's a tail light in there.

How do you think you'd run the wires for the license plate one? Maybe drill a hole through the liftgate? That wouldn't be too terrible.

rayofsi 02-03-2021 12:24 PM

i'm actually getting ready to work on something like this, but i do have a prinsu rack already installed.
amber on the sides after i cut up my rack a bit. amber on the rear and white for reverse in rear. wiring them up to a switch pros.

so much easier with a rack, you run lights straight up the side of the windshield.

or alternatively, you could probably stick this onto the channels in the roof
Universal Wire Hider
got 4 pairs of diode dynamics ssc2 i'll be installing

comtn4x4 02-03-2021 12:57 PM

That KC Hi Lites wire Hider works great btw

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayofsi (Post 3599790)
i'm actually getting ready to work on something like this, but i do have a prinsu rack already installed.
amber on the sides after i cut up my rack a bit. amber on the rear and white for reverse in rear. wiring them up to a switch pros.

so much easier with a rack, you run lights straight up the side of the windshield.

or alternatively, you could probably stick this onto the channels in the roof
Universal Wire Hider
got 4 pairs of diode dynamics ssc2 i'll be installing

97BlackAckCL 02-03-2021 06:29 PM

My BajaRack roof rack has holes in the rear perfect for rear facing lights, I would recommend a full roof rack for mounting flexibility

mbumpus11 02-04-2021 02:09 PM

Rear Mounted Pod Lights

Looks like I do need to do my write up in the event you’re talking about something like this?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...24d3c94d1f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b52a3f60d8.jpg

ElectroBoy 02-04-2021 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbumpus11 (Post 3600340)
Looks like I do need to do my write up in the event you’re talking about something like this?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...24d3c94d1f.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b52a3f60d8.jpg

That looks great! Got a write up?

(BTW, do you have a pic of the rear camera view at night?) Thx.

mbumpus11 02-04-2021 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroBoy (Post 3600365)
That looks great! Got a write up?

(BTW, do you have a pic of the rear camera view at night?) Thx.

Thank you! I'll get on the write up and will include the rear camera view at night comparison!

HanginInUtah 02-04-2021 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travtaz997 (Post 3599449)
I'm an Event Manager and I use my 4runner a lot when I have to temporarily block paths, drive through fields, etc at my festivals and events so I want to add some flashing white/amber lights.

Using it to block or direct traffic, I wonder if there's someone in your area that does upfitting for public safety? I'm a city fleet manager, but I'm in the Salt Lake City area or I'd be of more use. I have an excellent upfitter here, who does a bunch of work for me and I'm thinking some of the unmarked vehicle options could work. They have a way to mount lighting right to the rear glass, to get it where it works the best to alert others.

A lot of great ideas on here, but most of them work well for work lighting, etc. I think there are some great ways to do both, but you might have to cross over to public safety applications to get them.

There's a ton of stuff on their website, but Soundoff Signal mpower – SoundOff Signal is who we use for a bunch of stuff, and their mPower Fascia LED light is really cool: flexible, surface mount, multiple color combinations.

TodiN 02-04-2021 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbumpus11 (Post 3600385)
Thank you! I'll get on the write up and will include the rear camera view at night comparison!

Please do it. I'm interested on how you routed the cables to the engine bay.