Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   genuine toyota parts ? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/294596-genuine-toyota-parts.html)

3bears 02-03-2021 10:35 PM

genuine toyota parts ?

so is the phrase "genuine toyota parts" just another name for junk parts ?
I live where parts and shipping are hard to get and expensive. Example, camelback wanted 200 to ship 2 lbj's, mcgeorge wanted slightly over 100.

So I ordered some parts from amazon. the majority of the parts were listed as "GENUINE" toyota. Pictures had toyota labels on everything I ordered. ( for toyota parts, other things in order were not ordered as "toyota)
Parts came and they have generic labels, saying Genuine OEM Toyota. with the correct part numbers on them, they do look better quality then a lot of the aftermarket stuff out there, none have anything that says toyota, or japan. None of them had toyota labels. Parts are lbj's, otre's and battery post clamps.
The Denso O2 sensor did come in a denso box, but no place on the part says Denso, so not sure on that one.

So have sellers now decided to use the phrase "Genuine OEM Toyota" to be able to sell junk I could have bought at the local auto parts stores for less ?
Or is amazozn just buying in bulk and repackaging.. I did contact amazozn sellers, prob wont do any good.

spartacus 02-03-2021 11:03 PM

If the seller has his vendor name. Sometimes they are dealership. or a whole sale places like JP parts wholesale. if you think they are fake you can always sent them back and amazon will cover the cost.

Sarki 02-04-2021 12:04 AM

Very timely post regarding “genuine Toyota parts” .
I posted last week about my experience buying inner tie rod ends off eBay that were labeled exactly that way.
They arrived in sealed plastic packages with bar codes and labeling made to look like they were Toyota OEM parts just like if purchased from the dealer.
Close inspection and comparison to the original Toyota factory parts I removed revealed they were bogus counterfeit parts.
I contacted the seller and got nowhere.
In my case the seller “rrenterprises” gave me the run around and have done nothing.
Won’t make that mistake again.
Have legitimate inner tie rods arriving tomorrow, directly from Conicelli Toyota

FD7683 02-04-2021 12:53 AM

My 4Runner has rarely needed parts in the last couple of years but on my Civic it's a similar story. I ordered "Genuine Honda Parts" coil packs for $135 for all 4. The price was too good to be true but I bought them anyways only to discover they were counterfeit. To not arrange any problems with the seller for the return process, I told him I didn't need them anymore so I returned them and got my money back. Never will that happen again. I went on Amazon and got Denso named ones for $165.

It's bad to shop for genuine parts on eBay so I always try to buy parts from a reputable website, or from the local Dealership.

pluton 02-04-2021 01:10 AM

Be sure to leave a review so other potential buyers can see what they're doing.

Washingtonian 02-04-2021 02:06 AM

Genuine Toyota Parts

I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about ordering Toyota parts from my local dealer. I have an oil change coming up for my Prius Prime. It uses a paper filter element that fits the 2017 year only. Checked online and my local dealer had it on his website for $3.76 with a MRSP of $5.41. This dealer is about ten miles down the road from me. About to order it and noted he wanted $12.32 for shipping! So I emailed him to see if I could pick it up at the dealership for that price. He replied that if I came in, they would charge me $6.88 + tax for a total of $7.50. I realize that this isn't a big deal, and I will probably just drive over and pay the price, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

heat 02-04-2021 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Washingtonian (Post 3600175)
I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about ordering Toyota parts from my local dealer. I have an oil change coming up for my Prius Prime. It uses a paper filter element that fits the 2017 year only. Checked online and my local dealer had it on his website for $3.76 with a MRSP of $5.41. This dealer is about ten miles down the road from me. About to order it and noted he wanted $12.32 for shipping! So I emailed him to see if I could pick it up at the dealership for that price. He replied that if I came in, they would charge me $6.88 + tax for a total of $7.50. I realize that this isn't a big deal, and I will probably just drive over and pay the price, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I live 5 miles from McGeorge- same deal. They insist on shipping for the best
price, or drive over and get it for retail.

jgue467 02-04-2021 10:38 AM

I have on occasion bought a genuine, Genuine Toyota Part off of ebay and/or amazon.

But, big, big but, I have to see a photo, check the seller for past troubles and of course on ebay via paypal you have a 100% guarantee if it is a fake.

Via amazon, I always go with Prime shipping, so I can return on their dime without any kind of hastle.

Now I realize you are in Fairbanks, so yeah that is a whole other story as far as delivery, not even sure amazon would ship there or at least not in typical Prime tmeframes? Best of Luck.

cas5259 02-04-2021 11:48 AM

genuine toyota parts ?

Finding quality parts without emptying your wallet at the dealer is hard to do these days, and I even get a Toyota employee discount.

Seems everyone is reboxing and relabeling the same crap. I think a few brands(beck arnley) don’t even produce anything, they purely rebox. I’ve ordered parts from AC Delco, that came in a Moog box, but the part had 555 made in Japan cast into it. How many manufacturing facilities are really making tie rod ends for a 20 year old vehicle? My guess is only a few. Most of this stuff is made on the same production line, and the only difference may be the level of quality control.

It doesn’t help that some unscrupulous sellers are branding themselves as “OEM” so it looks like a dealer sourced part. The search results show as “OEM Toyota Tie Rod End”, but you have to pay attention to realize that OEM is just the company name, rather than representing a genuine Toyota part.

Brian. 02-04-2021 12:58 PM

This isn't a new thing (by my perspective), but an issue that's been on-going for at Least a decade. I noticed it first in the motorcycle segment, but I was a motorcycle mechanic and most of my income was doing the fix and flip so I bought a lot of parts. Seeking that balance of getting a good part and not spending too much money meant wading through the cess-pits of ebay (and Amazon is right there now-days). Seems almost ubiquitous anymore, even searching by Part number, and nothing else, will bring that junk up.

Back to the age-old balance of time or money.... spend your money buying through a Known source, or spend your time filtering through junk, dealing with returns (or the inevitable early failure of the junk parts).

gamefreakgc 02-04-2021 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarki (Post 3600128)
Very timely post regarding “genuine Toyota parts” .
I posted last week about my experience buying inner tie rod ends off eBay that were labeled exactly that way.
They arrived in sealed plastic packages with bar codes and labeling made to look like they were Toyota OEM parts just like if purchased from the dealer.
Close inspection and comparison to the original Toyota factory parts I removed revealed they were bogus counterfeit parts.
I contacted the seller and got nowhere.
In my case the seller “rrenterprises” gave me the run around and have done nothing.
Won’t make that mistake again.
Have legitimate inner tie rods arriving tomorrow, directly from Conicelli Toyota

Start a complaint with Ebay that they are counterfeit parts. They will side with the buyer almost 100% of the time. As me how I know... I'm a seller on Ebay and even when I'm right they side with the buyer, not the seller.

phattyduck 02-04-2021 01:21 PM

For Honda parts, I am lucky - my local Honda dealer has pretty good online prices and one of the shipping options is "pick up" - I am able to get parts faster than it takes to ship for basically the same price as online parts dealers with no shipping costs.

I wonder if any Toyota dealers will do this. My local Toyota dealer is pretty crappy, but I still go in person for things like coolant and cutting keys - but that's about it.

I would also suggest checking out Amayama, but shipping through them has been ridiculously high recently - I do have to buy stuff from them anyway when it is a JDM only part though.

For 3bears, the Alaska tax is painful, eh?

-Charlie

3bears 02-04-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgue467 (Post 3600240)
I have on occasion bought a genuine, Genuine Toyota Part off of ebay and/or amazon.

But, big, big but, I have to see a photo, check the seller for past troubles and of course on ebay via paypal you have a 100% guarantee if it is a fake.

Via amazon, I always go with Prime shipping, so I can return on their dime without any kind of hastle.

Now I realize you are in Fairbanks, so yeah that is a whole other story as far as delivery, not even sure amazon would ship there or at least not in typical Prime tmeframes? Best of Luck.

Aazon prime does ship here, just slow.Esp this time of year. If a small package, prime can be here in a week. the above items ( LBj's , OTRE's and a few other small parts) all the items were in stock according to the website, ordered January 18 and got here 2 days ago.

My local dealer is about the same, went in and ordered lower ball joint bolts January 20 and got a call yesterday that they just came in. Plus they charge up they ying yang. those bolts in the lower 48 list at 1.86 each, up here the dealer charged 3.06 each and they give no price breaks. my son had to get a new gas cap for his 2016 taco and went to the dealer, $42,
Oddly enough my local walmart started selling Toyota oil filters, the ydzz3 is cheaper there than at the dealer

gonna do a lot of work on it this spring ( timing belt, vc gaskets, etc) and will take the time to find real toyota or asin parts at a realistic price even if shipping is slow and just order well in advance.

3bears 02-04-2021 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3600312)

For 3bears, the Alaska tax is painful, eh?

-Charlie

yes it is, somethings just dont make sence on the cost. Yet amazon prime shipping, slow, is a deal.
I understand that we are a bit further for things to ship, but a lot of places know that they have little or no competition. An alginemnt here is 160. Oil change places ( jiffy lube) start at 89 if going synthetic. YOu will see advertisments on internet for cheaper, and small print will say, not alaska. Like type in oil change fairbanks, and it will pop up national name companies and say like oil change special 39. You call them and they will say, well not here in Alaska
Places like Napa, Autozozne, etc are about 10 to 20% higher here. My ARB bumper that I brought from Oregon, was free shipped to my sons in Oregon, was quoted over 450 to ship it to alaska.
Costco is the good guy, same price here as in Oregon. Costco does a lot of business here. gas today at costco was 245.

Last summer I drove up a big dodge diesel and had it loaded to the max with tools, parts etc. Unfortunately a lot of those parts went on to my 2000, then totaled it. Fortunately had not yet installed my winch or ARB bumper so they will go on this one.

HiLife 02-04-2021 05:34 PM

Alaska and Hawaii share that same thing, crazy shipping cost. At least trucks can drive to Alaska, which is impossible for Hawaii.

I generally I don't trust 80% of the stuff on eBay or Amazon claiming to be original equipment manufacturers. The products the sellers are getting their hands on is most likely made in china. China has almost perfected art of copying things to a T.

You can kindly ask your dealership if they offer cheaper (than over the counter) prices through their company parts ordering website.

I visited my dealership only oil filters and drain plug gaskets. While there I would joke I would buy more from them if they didn't charge "matrix prices" for the parts.

I guess that paid off, cause after numerous visits he shared that all parts can be had closely matching internet pricing through special navigating on their companies site. I thanked him for sharing that tip.