Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rear lift gate struts (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/294863-rear-lift-gate-struts.html)

supawabb 02-12-2021 06:09 PM

Rear lift gate struts

Would anyone know what the factory strength (lbs or newtons) for the rear lift gate struts?

Mine are beginning to fail and not hold the lift gate up properly and I am looking to replace with something slightly stronger. I do NOT have anything attached to it, so not needing to over do it.

ElectroBoy 02-12-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supawabb (Post 3603888)
Would anyone know what the factory strength (lbs or newtons) for the rear lift gate struts?

Mine are beginning to fail and not hold the lift gate up properly and I am looking to replace with something slightly stronger. I do NOT have anything attached to it, so not needing to over do it.

The struts can lose pressure over time and you really notice it in cold weather. There are several threads about this for aftermarket replacements. Some successful, some failures. If/when mine fail on my 5th Gen I’ll get either new OEMs or get them rebuilt with increased pressure like I did with my 3rd Gen.
This thread talks about it:
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3582578-post16.html

supawabb 02-12-2021 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroBoy (Post 3603894)
The struts can lose pressure over time and you really notice it in cold weather. There are several threads about this for aftermarket replacements. Some successful, some failures. If/when mine fail on my 5th Gen I’ll get either new OEMs or get them rebuilt with increased pressure like I did with my 3rd Gen.
This thread talks about it:
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3582578-post16.html

Never heard of the company sturtwise. I am sure they are fantastic, and being in Canada is a bonus for me. On the other hand, I went through LS Technologies many years ago for stronger replacements for my 2007 xterra as they failed in the winter. The ones I received were factory fit, and were about 20% stronger. Worked like a million bucks, so I am planning on dealing with them again. I spoke to them today and wanted to know the factory lift strength, in order to not go too powerful on replacements. And a bonus is LS is only 250kms (150 miles from me).

ElectroBoy 02-12-2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supawabb (Post 3603903)
Never heard of the company sturtwise. I am sure they are fantastic, and being in Canada is a bonus for me. On the other hand, I went through LS Technologies many years ago for stronger replacements for my 2007 xterra as they failed in the winter. The ones I received were factory fit, and were about 20% stronger. Worked like a million bucks, so I am planning on dealing with them again. I spoke to them today and wanted to know the factory lift strength, in order to not go too powerful on replacements. And a bonus is LS is only 250kms (150 miles from me).

That sounds like a great plan. If you can’t get an actual factory pressure fill number maybe LS Technologies can test your struts and make an estimate, then add to that. Good luck, let us know what you find and your results.

Jivewalker 02-12-2021 08:03 PM

I replaced mine with strongarm when they failed. The OEM match from Strongarm shows 216lb force. Hope that helps what you are looking for.

Liftgate Lift Support

supawabb 02-12-2021 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jivewalker (Post 3603940)
I replaced mine with strongarm when they failed. The OEM match from Strongarm shows 216lb force. Hope that helps what you are looking for.

Liftgate Lift Support

Thank you. That's the ticket! Thinking I'll go to 250 then. Give me a slightly stronger lift, but not too much.

Jivewalker 02-12-2021 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supawabb (Post 3603943)
Thank you. That's the ticket! Thinking I'll go to 250 then. Give me a slightly stronger lift, but not too much.

Yeah, I noticed that you have a 2017. Didn't see that on the strongarm site so I would check the info in that link against the dimensions of what you have. If everything else is the same, I'd say the force would be the same. Good luck and post how you make out!

Jivewalker 02-12-2021 08:17 PM

Hey, one more thing. Before you pop those struts off do some research on this site. Many good people have ended up breaking their tail lights or messing up the strut doing this simple job by not understanding that they simply snap on! Just a friendly heads up.

fkheath 02-13-2021 12:18 AM

Some of the companies that make ladders for the rear hatch offer upgraded/stronger struts to accommodate the increased weight of the ladders.

Kontrolledkaos556 02-20-2021 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3604033)
Some of the companies that make ladders for the rear hatch offer upgraded/stronger struts to accommodate the increased weight of the ladders.

I received a set from GOBI RACKS.

Brick Sprickly 02-20-2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3604033)

This is true, but shop around. I love my Gobi rack, but would never buy replacement struts from them because they overcharge for accessories.

Captain Planet 02-20-2021 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brick Sprickly (Post 3606813)
This is true, but shop around. I love my Gobi rack, but would never buy replacement struts from them because they overcharge for accessories.

Amazon.com: Qty (2) Fits Toyota 4Runner 2010 To 20 Liftgate Lift Supports with Added Ladder: Automotive

I bought these to go with my Gobi and they work great with the ladder.