Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Need a little help. Picking out a 2021 TRD OR, or ORP (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/294956-need-little-help-picking-out-2021-trd-orp.html)

gjcarving 02-16-2021 02:03 PM

Need a little help. Picking out a 2021 TRD OR, or ORP

Hello. Before I post this I just want to say I have done a ton of searching on here to try and help me come to a conclusion. But, the answers always seem to split 50/50. So, I figured I would give it a shot myself.

1) The differences between the cloth and Softex. I have read the many pros and cons of both. Really wondering if anyone here has had both or has good long term input on either. I have cloth in my Tundra and it's held up well. But, I have read that the 4Runner cloth tends to wear faster. Does anyone find this true?

I am intrigued by the Softex but am a bit Leary of all the comments saying it doesn't breathe and people find themselves sweating on the back etc. This would be my main concern as I live in the high desert and temperature differences are extreme. It can get really cold, and really hot. I have seen many posts of people wishing they had gotten the cloth.

The other part of it is thier durability. Most of what I have seen is positive, but a few have shown peeling, easily scratching etc.

2). This question is about the push button start. I am kind of old school in nature and curious about long term durability of these. This truck will be going in the middle of nowhere as I like secluded spots. I have also read that many times it will start beeping at you for no reason while walking to the tailgate etc. Any info on this system from both sides would be helpful.

3). This a question that should be easily answered but found conflicting info. Does the OR model come with heated side mirrors and where the wipers rest like the ORP does.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. This is a big purchase for me as my Tundra suits me well and I will be keeping it. But, I have always loved the 5th gen and would like to get one before they release the next gen. I appreciate anyone who posts or shares their experiences! And, if you have anything to add I would welcome it also. Thank you for your time! Best...

ttime4four 02-16-2021 02:11 PM

I just went through the same decision process. These were the deciding factors to go with the ORP:

(1) Keyless entry/start - I've had it before and simply wanted it again.
(2) Power passenger seat - wanted this for my wife's comfort
(3) OEM Heated seats - adding this later would have been a pain

Softex feels pretty good so far. Not summer yet but if they are problematic - genuine leather is an option.

If I had gone with the OR - I most likely would have added leather seats. So the pricing difference is kinda moot.

00Sebby 02-16-2021 02:12 PM

1) Had both cloth and SoftTex. Cloth is better unless you have a dog or small children.

2) No long-term issues with pushbutton start. I mean, if you're talking really long-term, I've had cars where I've had to replace the key ignition modules.

3) Not sure about the side mirrors in the OR.

Don't forget the better infotainment display, heated seats, etc. in the Premium.

Whippersnapper02 02-16-2021 02:12 PM

For my 19, I wanted the softex seats and signal mirrors. Navigation was also part of it for 19 but the OEM headunits suck so I've already swapped it out.

gjcarving 02-16-2021 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00Sebby (Post 3605291)
1) Had both cloth and SoftTex. Cloth is better unless you have a dog or small children.

2) No long-term issues with pushbutton start. I mean, if you're talking really long-term, I've had cars where I've had to replace the key ignition modules.

3) Not sure about the side mirrors in the OR.

Don't forget the better infotainment display, heated seats, etc. in the Premium.

I do have dogs but if I go the cloth route I will cover the back seat with one of this canvas covers. Curious as to why you thought the cloth was better?

And thank you to everyone has responded so far and so quickly. It means a lot as its a big decision for me as this will be a long term vehicle.

TRDORP2019 02-16-2021 02:26 PM

I found that the softex works well for me. I have kids and we spend a lot of time outdoors and the cloth seats would get too wet during the winter and would be too hard to clean the dirt off.

gjcarving 02-16-2021 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDORP2019 (Post 3605304)
I found that the softex works well for me. I have kids and we spend a lot of time outdoors and the cloth seats would get too wet during the winter and would be too hard to clean the dirt off.

Do you find them to get pretty hot in the summer?

TRDORP2019 02-16-2021 02:39 PM

I've had leather before and they don't get any hotter than leather. I just blast the A/C in the summer and I don't have any issues with sticking to the seats. It would be nice to have ventilated seats though........

Pathfinder! 02-16-2021 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDORP2019 (Post 3605314)
I've had leather before and they don't get any hotter than leather. I just blast the A/C in the summer and I don't have any issues with sticking to the seats. It would be nice to have ventilated seats though........

Does anything other than the limited come with ventilated seats?

johnnygraphic 02-16-2021 03:19 PM

I have a 2000 forerunner with cloth seats. While I don’t regret the choice, they are starting to show some places. The front seats are starting to ball up a little. I hope the softec seats will stand up to daily use over the long haul. We keep our cars for a long time. We both wanted the heated seats, as I have heated seats in my BMW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gjcarving 02-16-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnygraphic (Post 3605332)
I have a 2000 forerunner with cloth seats. While I don’t regret the choice, they are starting to show some places. The front seats are starting to ball up a little. I hope the softec seats will stand up to daily use over the long haul. We keep our cars for a long time. We both wanted the heated seats, as I have heated seats in my BMW.

2000 or 2020? And what do you mean by ball up?

johnnygraphic 02-16-2021 03:27 PM

Need a little help. Picking out a 2021 TRD OR, or ORP

2000 4Runner. The seats are balling up as the fabric is wearing on the high wear areas. Kinda like an old sweater.

Oh and we just bought an Off Road Premium a week ago.

TRDORP2019 02-16-2021 03:34 PM

Unfortunately no......Ventilated seats only on the limited......

00Sebby 02-16-2021 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gjcarving (Post 3605297)
I do have dogs but if I go the cloth route I will cover the back seat with one of this canvas covers. Curious as to why you thought the cloth was better?

And thank you to everyone has responded so far and so quickly. It means a lot as its a big decision for me as this will be a long term vehicle.

In my 10 'TE, I had the cloth. It seemed more comfortable and cooler that the softex in my 20 ORP. The softex isn't terrible, but it is basically a vinyl seat. The leather in my 20 Wrangler Rubicon was much better and also cooler. Of course, everything interior-wise in the Rubicon was better than the 4Runner, but the 4Runner is a better vehicle overall and I don't have to worry about it disintegrating.

KDMcD 02-16-2021 03:51 PM

Went through the same decision-making process last year when purchasing my 2020. Went with the ORP for all of the same amenities mentioned above. I appreciate the reliability of T4R, but I would really appreciate Toyota moving in the present day with better and more conveniences and amenities.