Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Will I need a dual battery? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/295125-will-i-need-dual-battery.html)

Signal 02-21-2021 08:42 PM

Will I need a dual battery?

So I am planning on adding a 12k winch, some DD SS3's a fridge, a ARB dual compressor and I already have a Ham radio. The fridge will be the last thing we get. I have a stock battery in there now and don't want to have issues when out there alone.

sn_85 02-22-2021 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal (Post 3607403)
So I am planning on adding a 12k winch, some DD SS3's a fridge, a ARB dual compressor and I already have a Ham radio. The fridge will be the last thing we get. I have a stock battery in there now and don't want to have issues when out there alone.

You'll need some sort of aux battery, whether that be a dual battery system or an external portable battery like a GZ, Jackery, Dometic is up to you. Winch, fogs, arb compressor will all run while your engine is on so you're fine there. Fridge is the only thing that will run constantly when your engine is off. Do you NEED a full dual battery setup? No. How you approach it is up to you.

umidkusername 02-22-2021 09:24 AM

If you don’t get an aux battery you better have a jumper lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cymon 02-22-2021 09:59 AM

If you don't want to deal with the complexity of dual battery, for the same price or less you may be better off with just upgrading the stock battery to a deep cycle and then possibly supplement with solar when you get the fridge. No matter what I would invest in a lithium battery jump-pack just in case.

I don't have a winch, but I've had zero issues running a fridge and lighting accessories with a group 24 X2 deep cycle battery for extended periods off-grid. I do bring our Goal Zero Yeti as back-up for the fridge when we are in one area for more than a couple of days (I can usually get 24 hours of fridge run time off of the battery without starting the vehicle). I'm in the process of adding 90w of hood mounted solar unit to keep the battery topped off...this should allow us to run our stuff off-grid almost indefinitely as the fridge pulls about 60w while the compressor is running. The solar will also keep the battery maintained.

Here is what we will be installing soon, it's currently in transit. Definitely not the cheapest option, but I am a big fan of plug and play.

Toyota 4Runner | VSS System™ | 90 Watt Hood Solar Panel - Cascadia 4x4

4r-4ever 02-22-2021 10:55 AM

Yes, you definitely need dual battery. Here's my setup. I have a portable battery which you can actually use on a lot of things and you don't have to carry it when not needed. here's my youtube link if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbVtZvK-f9s

Quote:

JD914 02-22-2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cymon (Post 3607548)
If you don't want to deal with the complexity of dual battery, for the same price or less you may be better off with just upgrading the stock battery to a deep cycle and then possibly supplement with solar when you get the fridge. No matter what I would invest in a lithium battery jump-pack just in case.

I agree. Essentially, the only thing running when the engine isn’t will be your fridge (unless you leave your HAM radio on). Since a fridge compressor doesn’t run constantly, a deep cycle battery will power it a long while and a 100 watt solar panel will keep the battery topped up.
I have all the accessories you mentioned, including lots of camp lights, and have no problem going for days camped in the back country with a single deep cycle battery and a solar panel or 2.

umidkusername 02-22-2021 02:18 PM

Optima would seem to think if you have anything extra you reallllly need that yellow top.

I’ve seen duals with two yellow tops. Maybe that’s overkill.

jp.vegas 02-22-2021 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cymon (Post 3607548)

I don't have a winch, but I've had zero issues running a fridge and lighting accessories with a group 24 X2 deep cycle battery for extended periods off-grid. I do bring our Goal Zero Yeti as back-up for the fridge when we are in one area for more than a couple of days (I can usually get 24 hours of fridge run time off of the battery without starting the vehicle). I'm in the process of adding 90w of hood mounted solar unit to keep the battery topped off...this should allow us to run our stuff off-grid almost indefinitely as the fridge pulls about 60w while the compressor is running. The solar will also keep the battery maintained.

Here is what we will be installing soon, it's currently in transit. Definitely not the cheapest option, but I am a big fan of plug and play.

Toyota 4Runner | VSS System™ | 90 Watt Hood Solar Panel - Cascadia 4x4

That's a neat all in one box solution. Too bad they don't have a model for us poor fools that have hoodscoops.

97BlackAckCL 02-22-2021 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umidkusername (Post 3607544)
If you don’t get an aux battery you better have a jumper lol.

Seriously lol

Titanpat57 02-22-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

As @Cymon said...an good group 31 AGM...a 100w Solar panel, a lithium jump pack...I run a fridge 24/7 and have dropped below 12.4, even after 3 cloudy days. The battery is probably close to a wash...so I didn't price it out.

$120 for a panel....Amazon.com : Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel, Compact Design 42.2 X 19.6 X 1.38 in, High Efficiency Module PV Power for Battery Charging Boat, Caravan, RV and Any Other Off Grid Applications : Garden & Outdoor

$60 for a 10w MPPT....Amazon.com : EPEVER 10A Solar Charge Controller MPPT Solar Panel Charge Controller 12V / 24V Auto Working Max PV 100V Solar Charge Battery Regulator with LCD Display for Gel Flooded Sealed Lithium Batteries : Garden & Outdoor

and $80 for a jump pack...Amazon.com: TACKLIFE T8 800A Peak 18000mAh Lithium Car Jump Starter for Up to 7.0L Gas or 5.5L Diesel Engine, 12V Auto Battery Booster with LCD Screen, Portable Power Bank with USB Quick Charge: Automotive

A little wire and a fuse and done

seatia 02-22-2021 06:07 PM

A 2nd battery would certainly help.
You can always do as they do in boats and add a battery selector switch.
When driving and using/charging it is in the both position and when camping or whatever it is in the 2 position.
That way the #1 battery is always charged for starting purposes etc.
If running low charge on the #2 house battery, just switch to both and charge it up with the alternator.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_SX425_.jpg

NotaTRD 02-22-2021 06:29 PM

How many cca’s does your 12k winch call for? My 10k calls for 650 cca’s minimum. I’m sure people are getting away with running a 10k on the stock battery, but something to consider.

Signal 02-22-2021 07:52 PM

I have no issue doing a dual battery setup, I just don't know what exactly to do but I would just buy a kit ready to go, I wish I could just pay someone who knows exactly what to do and has done it before. Electrical is no my strong suit.

sn_85 02-22-2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal (Post 3607788)
I have no issue doing a dual battery setup, I just don't know what exactly to do but I would just buy a kit ready to go, I wish I could just pay someone who knows exactly what to do and has done it before. Electrical is no my strong suit.

Complexity is your enemy and if electrical is not your strong suit then don't get a dual battery setup. As previously mentioned, you can get a external battery pack like a Jackery, GZ, dometic and charge while you drive through the rear cargo 12vdc cigarette and have the fridge hooked up to the battery unit. When you shut off your car that cargo area 12vdc is not hot so it'll shut off and your fridge will just run off the portable battery pack. Since you live in the south then just bring a solar blanket with you as there will be unlimited sun.

I have a dual battery setup but I've been toying around with my Dometic PLB40 and it powers the fridge for 48-72 hours without issue and I can recharge it while I drive. I don't have a solar blanket but energy would be unlimited if I did. Honestly that accomplishes pretty much the purpose of my dual battery setup without all the complexity and cost.

If you're still dead set on a dual battery setup then you can get the Off-Grid engineering kit that has everything you need and pre-cut and crimped wires. Something even easier is the National Luna Portable power pack which is just plug and play.

2010-Current 4Runner/ 2010-2014 FJ Cruiser Complete Dual Battery Syste – Off-Grid Engineering

DC-25 Power Pack – Equipt Expedition Outfitters

Titanpat57 02-22-2021 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal (Post 3607788)

Neither is search...doesn't make you a bad guy...lol