Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   3rd gen with 5th gen suspension (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/295129-3rd-gen-5th-gen-suspension.html)

danahurling 02-22-2021 12:27 AM

3rd gen with 5th gen suspension

I've got all four springs for all four corners and I'm going to order Bilstein 5100 series shocks tomorrow and probably new top hats for the front, anything else I should be aware of or any parts I should plan on changing while I'm in there that I'm not already aware of? Springs are from 2021 with 3kmi, shocks will be ordered specifically for my 97.

Shared album - Michael Ellis - Google Photos

itskohler 02-22-2021 12:37 AM

Do your sway bushings if your haven't already. 5th gen springs are more stiff than the 3rd gen springs and if your bushings are worn you'll have a loud ride.

DreadPirateJon 02-22-2021 02:17 PM

5100s are pretty hard to find right now. Rockauto isnt even listing them right now.

danahurling 02-23-2021 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreadPirateJon (Post 3607638)
5100s are pretty hard to find right now. Rockauto isnt even listing them right now.

I'm 4 weeks out, and yes you're right there's a backorder on fronts or rears depending on who you're talking to

danahurling 02-23-2021 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itskohler (Post 3607488)
Do your sway bushings if your haven't already. 5th gen springs are more stiff than the 3rd gen springs and if your bushings are worn you'll have a loud ride.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll go ahead and order those as it makes complete sense, I'm going to have top hats probably from the dealer and just waiting on the bilsteins which is going to be about 4 weeks out

Toyojay 02-27-2021 03:38 PM

I have the KYB top hats on my 2001, with all 4 springs from a 2020 and I used bilstein 4600's. Front shocks are for a first gen Tundra and rear shocks are for a 4th gen 4Runner. Also did my rack bushings, end links and sway bar bushings at the same time. All poly bushings from Energy. Rides great, love the way it responds. Highly recommend.