Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   CV axle inner dust shield? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/295188-cv-axle-inner-dust-shield.html)

phatcheeks 02-23-2021 07:19 PM

CV axle inner dust shield?

So I bought a used 5th gen OEM CV axle from LKQ on ebay. My plan was to install this one and reboot my original when I have the time. But when I got the 5th gen axle it seems to be missing the dust shield on the inboard side that goes into the diff. Are these meant to be removed? or can I buy them separately. Also the outboard rubber gasket is kind torn and the spindle grooves are rusted.

Im probably going to ask for a refund/return it back. Anyone have luck with refunds from LKQ?

phatcheeks 02-23-2021 07:29 PM

https://i.imgur.com/JWZGnPd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/M2H1rxr.jpg

bob3dsf 02-23-2021 08:37 PM

I bought re-manufactured CV axles from toyota several years ago, and I kept my originals (rather than returning them for a core refund) so I could re-boot them. They came with the dust shields. Maybe look up the parts diagram and see if the shields are available. I've never returned anything to LKQ, but I've also never bought from them online. I usually go to a nearby salvage lot and pull my own parts. I have an LKQ yard near by. Matter of fact I never thought of pulling a CV axle before (but then the last time I pulled a part I knew a lot less about by rig than I do now). As for the gasket, that part might be replaceable as well. If it's meant to be temporary while you reboot your OEM, it might not really matter.

FYI on the reboot kit. Look into getting a set of "snap on" crimp style clamps. They are open on one side and have locking holes and tab. Basically it's open so you can slip it on, close it up with the locking tab, then crimp it tight.

Like these:
Amazon.com: Nicecnc Stainless Steel Universal Adjustable AXLE CV Joint Boot Crimp Clamp Kit,20PCS(10pcs Small+ 10pcs Large): Automotive

I would get some, or go to your auto parts store and order some of the twisty, spin style. Whichever, just have some extras. In my kit these was 3 crimp style and one kind then you fold it over to clamp and close, then secure it with little locking tabs. That one broke on me and I had to order some replacements. Some store stock some Dorman brand clamps but they were too small. So, know what diameter you need. Its, like, just over 4" for the larger size on our boots.

Re-booting is easy, just messy. A parts washer is something I wish I had, but I managed without it.

y=mx+b 02-23-2021 08:41 PM

the pn for the one that fits on the outer CV joint (metal and rubber piece) is 90304-A0001. The inner side dust shield I don't know the pn for, but it is just press fit on there

For LKQ refunds, they sent me an O'reilly axle and I sent them a pic of the pn stamped on the axle and the oreilly page showing it. They refunded that one and I got to keep the axle. Might be different since this looks to be an actual OEM CV, but if missing parts they may refund. I doubt the person working the ebay page has much 4runner specific knowledge that they would fight you on that. Most axles I see come with that shield, so I would tell them its missing parts

edit: the rusty inner part I don't like either

phatcheeks 02-24-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob3dsf (Post 3608271)
I bought re-manufactured CV axles from toyota several years ago, and I kept my originals (rather than returning them for a core refund) so I could re-boot them. They came with the dust shields. Maybe look up the parts diagram and see if the shields are available. I've never returned anything to LKQ, but I've also never bought from them online. I usually go to a nearby salvage lot and pull my own parts. I have an LKQ yard near by. Matter of fact I never thought of pulling a CV axle before (but then the last time I pulled a part I knew a lot less about by rig than I do now). As for the gasket, that part might be replaceable as well. If it's meant to be temporary while you reboot your OEM, it might not really matter.

FYI on the reboot kit. Look into getting a set of "snap on" crimp style clamps. They are open on one side and have locking holes and tab. Basically it's open so you can slip it on, close it up with the locking tab, then crimp it tight.

Like these:
Amazon.com: Nicecnc Stainless Steel Universal Adjustable AXLE CV Joint Boot Crimp Clamp Kit,20PCS(10pcs Small+ 10pcs Large): Automotive

I would get some, or go to your auto parts store and order some of the twisty, spin style. Whichever, just have some extras. In my kit these was 3 crimp style and one kind then you fold it over to clamp and close, then secure it with little locking tabs. That one broke on me and I had to order some replacements. Some store stock some Dorman brand clamps but they were too small. So, know what diameter you need. Its, like, just over 4" for the larger size on our boots.

Re-booting is easy, just messy. A parts washer is something I wish I had, but I managed without it.

I dont have any 4th/5th gens near me. Most yards only have up to the 3rd gens.

When I said temporary, I meant as long as they last until I have time to reboot my old axle lol.

For the cv clamps, I have a bunch of the McMasterCarr clamps with smooth edges.

phatcheeks 02-24-2021 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y=mx+b (Post 3608275)
the pn for the one that fits on the outer CV joint (metal and rubber piece) is 90304-A0001. The inner side dust shield I don't know the pn for, but it is just press fit on there

For LKQ refunds, they sent me an O'reilly axle and I sent them a pic of the pn stamped on the axle and the oreilly page showing it. They refunded that one and I got to keep the axle. Might be different since this looks to be an actual OEM CV, but if missing parts they may refund. I doubt the person working the ebay page has much 4runner specific knowledge that they would fight you on that. Most axles I see come with that shield, so I would tell them its missing parts

edit: the rusty inner part I don't like either

I think I will just remove and reboot my current ones. Shouldn't take too long.

I just setup a refund saying arrived damaged, and also mentioned the missing dust shield. Lets see what they say.

y=mx+b 02-24-2021 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phatcheeks (Post 3608451)
I think I will just remove and reboot my current ones. Shouldn't take too long.

I just setup a refund saying arrived damaged, and also mentioned the missing dust shield. Lets see what they say.

Yep the reboot isn't that difficult, just messy. I've got a write-up if you want to see pics of the process: CV Reboot Tutorial with Boot Stretch (80+ Pictures)

Maybe try scotch brite and some wd40/penetrant on that inner piece to clean up the crusties and make a save on the axle.

Febest makes a whole inner joint + tripod that I want to try on one of my CVs, so that's another option if the rest of the axle is good

phatcheeks 02-24-2021 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y=mx+b (Post 3608638)
Yep the reboot isn't that difficult, just messy. I've got a write-up if you want to see pics of the process: CV Reboot Tutorial with Boot Stretch (80+ Pictures)

Maybe try scotch brite and some wd40/penetrant on that inner piece to clean up the crusties and make a save on the axle.

Febest makes a whole inner joint + tripod that I want to try on one of my CVs, so that's another option if the rest of the axle is good

Ha, Ive read your write-up many times. Thanks!
Can you share a link for that part? I only see the outer joint.

Also, I got a refund from LKQ. They haven't asked for the part back either.

y=mx+b 02-24-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phatcheeks (Post 3608710)

So it looks like the part is no longer sold on eBay, but it was here: Inner Joint 30X47X30 FEBEST 0111-GRJ120 OEM 43403-60020 | eBay. Picture looks to have changed also, since the picture in the ad used to look exactly like the OEM inner tulip.

I also checked their website and I no longer see it, only the outer like you saw. This is a bummer and I wanted to try it out, since my spare axle inner tripod is a little chunky

y=mx+b 02-25-2021 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phatcheeks (Post 3608710)

I sent them a message asking if they'll get them back in stock anytime soon, sounds like they may have some mid April

http://i.imgur.com/cidAduFl.jpg

y=mx+b 02-26-2021 05:07 PM

I also found the PN for that little dustshield on the inner side: 4133604010