Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   4th Gen V6 Parking Brake Replacement Advice (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/295276-4th-gen-v6-parking-brake-replacement-advice.html)

ryanarcane 02-26-2021 02:45 PM

4th Gen V6 Parking Brake Replacement Advice

Hi All

Looking for advice replacing parking brake in my 2004 4th gen, I have two routes either go OEM on cables and clamps along with the shoes and hardware from Beck and Arnley. OR get cables aftermarket with certain equalizer and other clamps OEM and shoes and hardware from Beck and Arnley.

Towards the second direction how are AC Delco Professional parking brake cables they are not the advantage line (which I believe is low quality control). I am looking at the AC Delco Gold/Professional Line which I believe used to be higher quality but in recent years people have received low quality parts from that line too. Any experience and/or advice.

I am looking at these parts :
OEM
46430-35550
46410-3D080
46430-35550
46304-17020 Equalizer Sub-Assembly

Alternate AC Delco Professional Part no :
18P96970
18P96969
18P96968
Did not find equalizer in aftermarket

Also what other parts do you think I would need:

I was thinking the adjusters on both sides maybe I should get OEM instead of the ones already included in the Beck and Arnley Hardware kit:

OEM part numbers are :
47406-60010
47405-60010
Here is the parts diagram website:

Thanks in advance

Drcoffee 02-27-2021 09:35 AM

I never use my parking brake, so to invest that much money and time would be a waste for me. The PO of my truck removed the pads on the right side, probably couldnt get it back together. So mine dont work anyway.

However, I would use oem cable (good used) and aftermarket brake parts.

little_joe 02-28-2021 10:18 AM

I'd get the least expensive parts you're comfortable with; and only get what you absolutely need. Since the parking brake is not a driveability/safety concern like normal brakes, steering, etc., overanalyzing this is pointless.

I got a cheap service kit (Beck-Arnley or Dorman, don't remember which), some brake cleaner, and went to town. My cables were fine, shoes had life remaining; adjusters just need cleaning, not replacing. Just cleaned everything up well, reinstalled (which sucks, bad), done. I have a sloped driveway, and coupled with holding the truck on a trail, I simply wanted mine to work to ease up on the parking pawl.