Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Skid plate that covers the catalytic converter (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/295307-skid-plate-covers-catalytic-converter.html)

Baughb 02-27-2021 12:19 PM

Skid plate that covers the catalytic converter

I've searched the posts on here and I don't believe it exists but, I'm hoping to find a skid plate that covers access to the catalytic converter.

One of my Honda sedans got its Cat stolen the other night so, it's on my mind.

I've looked at the CatClamp and CatStrap and I may go that direction on the Hondas. But, for the 4Runner, I'm looking for hopefully a skid plate.

99 Limited, 3.4L, 4x4 without running boards or sliders.

Any ideas if any manufacturers have a bolt on solution?

Taking into account heat dissipation, any other ideas? I understand that it may be a custom fabrication.

Thanks

cl4Rk 02-27-2021 08:39 PM

Sorry to hear about your cat getting stolen.

There have been a lot of discussions about this over the years. Seems like there’s no good off-the-shelf solution for our trucks.

Maybe, if you install a full coverage skid like CBI or RCI, then maybe adding additional plates that cover the rest of the cat. The plates could be welded to the frame? For heat dissipation, add a bunch of holes in it like the factory gas tank skid?

MaineRunna 02-27-2021 10:17 PM

Had 5 cats stolen off my Toys 2 years ago. Not cool! No skid plate just for cats. You would have to custom fab that. Some people weld rebar onto their cats so they are harder to cut off with a sawzall.

dms1 02-28-2021 05:35 AM

Bud Built

Bud Built 2 piece skid plate covers the catalytic converter. Also the original 3rd Gen Skid Plate.

cl4Rk 02-28-2021 08:43 AM

From this thread: BudBuilt Skid Plates

Quote:

Originally Posted by the great him (Post 961576)
i just went out and looked at mine, id say they cover more like 50-60%. it would not be impossible to remove the cat, but it would slow some one down or make them think twice about trying it...

jgue467 02-28-2021 01:43 PM

I went the steel rod method, had my muffler guy install them all over the cats on a sequoia, 4runner, camry, kia and a prius, about $150 for all of them.

Sure they can be cut yet with a fair amount of noise (about 8 rods per cat) my bet is the average thief will move onto an easier target and thus I sleep better, ahh.

Endlessblockades 02-28-2021 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgue467 (Post 3610069)
I went the steel rod method, had my muffler guy install them all over the cats on a sequoia, 4runner, camry, kia and a prius, about $150 for all of them.

Sure they can be cut yet with a fair amount of noise (about 8 rods per cat) my bet is the average thief will move onto an easier target and thus I sleep better, ahh.

8 per Cat? Jeez - I was thinking about 1 length of rebar or 2 max.

JB1 02-28-2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3610098)

My old 18v dewalt grinder goes through rebar in 2 seconds. Definitely need something stronger.

Endlessblockades 02-28-2021 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB1 (Post 3610101)
My old 18v dewalt grinder goes through rebar in 2 seconds. Definitely need something stronger.

Yep, I have the 20V Max version.

OffroadCamp 03-16-2022 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baughb (Post 3609732)
I've searched the posts on here and I don't believe it exists but, I'm hoping to find a skid plate that covers access to the catalytic converter.

One of my Honda sedans got its Cat stolen the other night so, it's on my mind.

I've looked at the CatClamp and CatStrap and I may go that direction on the Hondas. But, for the 4Runner, I'm looking for hopefully a skid plate.

99 Limited, 3.4L, 4x4 without running boards or sliders.

Any ideas if any manufacturers have a bolt on solution?

Taking into account heat dissipation, any other ideas? I understand that it may be a custom fabrication.

Thanks

I think this company has what you're looking for.

Catalytic Anti Theft Shields and Converter for Toyota Tundras, Sequoias by ADD Automotive

octanejunkie 03-16-2022 06:14 AM

Any skid plate kit that covers the engine, transmission and transfer case will prevent easy access to the cat(s) - the bottom engine cover offers little protection.

I have RCI (powder coated) skids but the Coastal Offroad kit might be cheaper if you don't mind panting it yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

G_Raw 03-16-2022 12:09 PM

I have a federal emission runner so IDK the placement on your ( likely CA emission based on the fact your in Burbank) cats are. My trail gear trans crossmember/tcase skid cover the cat to the rear O2 sensor but left the front half exposed. Because of my trail gear cross member there is no trans skid that a company makes so I made a custom trans skid to go from my engine skid to the trans cross.

With that said I also have a rod cage welded around the cat. one leg at the front and one at the rear weld it to the inside of the frame. The legs on the inside section of the vehicle run to the trans skid that has a mounting tab that uses a nut and bold to secure.

I did this after my neighbors sequoia's cat was stolen. On his I was able to place a 3/16" plate the width of the underside of the cat and weld bars straight to frame points to secure. So its basically a cat skid :madgrin:

don't know if that helps...

Endlessblockades 03-16-2022 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G_Raw (Post 3719808)
I have a federal emission runner so IDK the placement on your ( likely CA emission based on the fact your in Burbank) cats are. My trail gear trans crossmember/tcase skid cover the cat to the rear O2 sensor but left the front half exposed. Because of my trail gear cross member there is no trans skid that a company makes so I made a custom trans skid to go from my engine skid to the trans cross.

With that said I also have a rod cage welded around the cat. one leg at the front and one at the rear weld it to the inside of the frame. The legs on the inside section of the vehicle run to the trans skid that has a mounting tab that uses a nut and bold to secure.

I did this after my neighbors sequoia's cat was stolen. On his I was able to place a 3/16" plate the width of the underside of the cat and weld bars straight to frame points to secure. So its basically a cat skid :madgrin:

don't know if that helps...

Photo?

pluton 03-17-2022 02:57 AM

Some good info here.
Since, to cut a single cat out of an exhaust pipe requires making a cut both behind AND in front of the cat, one only has to protect EITHER the pipe in front or the pipe to the rear from being cut. On my '97, the segment at front of the cat is much, much shorter than the segment to the rear...so that's where I'm looking to create some protection.
If the creeps make one cut and realize they can't proceed, it's a small welding job to repair their failed attempt.

jgue467 03-17-2022 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3610098)

No - I meant he put 8 pieces of rebar on each cat, each piece varies but about 6-8 inches.

He took time to find places and different angles so cutting them would be take some time, hopefully they'll just move on to easier targets.

But like they say, if they Really want something, nothing can stop them.

i call them Leaches of Life.