Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Toyota's shift logic engineer should be shot (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/295333-toyotas-shift-logic-engineer-should-shot.html)

Charles Bronson 02-28-2021 12:31 PM

Toyota's shift logic engineer should be shot

We've owned our 2020 ORP since July. Yesterday we drove 200 miles to Wichita which was through a constant 20mph+ headwind and lots of very long and steep hills through the Flint Hills of south central Kansas. The 4runner was constantly bouncing between 5th and 4th. Then when you'd get past the grade, it took forever to upshift to 5th. I could remedy this with a simple tap of the accelerator to force the upshift. The truck only managed 16mpg too. LOL Towards the end of trip I learned the key was to keep it under 78mph and when in cruise control, give it a little throttle myself going up hills to unlock the torque converter in 5th gear to keep it from downshifting to 4th.

Whoever at Toyota did the shift logic should be shot. It is seriously bad in those situations. There is no need for a downshift into 4th. Simply unlocking the torque converter in 5th is enough for those types of grades. It's as if the trans ecu doesn't recognize that 5th gear torque converter unlock is an option. I tried also using the manual mode function with it in 5th but it didn't help.

For those that have throttle enhancers like the Sprint Booster, does your 4runner exhibit this annoying behavior?

fkheath 02-28-2021 12:49 PM

Let's see: you are driving a box at 80 MPH with a 20+ MPH head wind (100+ MPH wind speed), uphill, and you complain about getting "only" 16 MPG?

umidkusername 02-28-2021 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3610045)
Let's see: you are driving a box at 80 MPH with a 20+ MPH head wind (100+ MPH wind speed), uphill, and you complain about getting "only" 16 MPG?

I don't think his issue was really with the MPG.

00Sebby 02-28-2021 01:23 PM

It is pretty bad. I never had the 5-4-5-4-5-4-5-4-5 shifting in my '10 TE nor did it ever seem to get hung up in 4th. The '20 ORP on the other hand does these things quite often forcing me to manually put it in 4th until I get past the grade. It's kind of dumb.

jp.vegas 02-28-2021 01:25 PM

Yeah, that's an accurate observation vis a vis the 4th gear 5th gear battle. I see it a lot when I'm using the radar cruise on the freeway and you hit a slight grade...it's quick to downshift and then sticks there. A tap of the throttle brings it back to 5th gear. It's annoying for sure on my 30 minute commute, I'm sure it doesn't get more pleasant over time on a longer drive.

mteolus 02-28-2021 01:34 PM

They should have put the GX460 6 speed tranny in the 4Runner and geared it with 4.56. I've gotten as low as 13 mpg against a wind, pretty much stays in 4th. But I have a lift and bigger tires.

JLTD 02-28-2021 01:36 PM

My '15 does the same and requires babysitting as OP said. Most posts I have seen about the FJ indicate it exhibits similar behaviour.

Since shifting causes lots of wear, I just put mine in S4 and wait for the top of the hill.

I hear that installing the supercharger gets rid of this issue. :D

Some sort of aftermarket programming change may work as well, but I am planning on staying stock so haven't explored that option.

AgentKooper 02-28-2021 01:37 PM

I drive my 2021 from 5,280 feet over 11,000 foot passes weekly to go skiing, and my shift logic seems just fine. I read these complaints about the 5th gen power train all the time, and it feels like people are describing a totally different vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grape Ape 02-28-2021 01:38 PM

Just shift manually...additionally, I'd love to get 16 mpg, I've had a 5th Gen since 2009 and never averaged more than 15, usually more like 14-14.5

spartacus 02-28-2021 02:09 PM

I drive mountain roads all the time and I like the shift points. locking and unlocking torque converter creates heat which reduces Tranny life so staying in 4 is like driving a stick. Also going down grades in lower gear keeps the speed in check and lessen the chance of brakes overheating.

BetteMidler 02-28-2021 02:12 PM

Honestly thought this was a troll post when OP said steep hills in Kansas.

jcrown7 02-28-2021 02:53 PM

Pulling an empty 5x8 trailer, I have spent nearly 1/3 the distance crossing Texas in 4th gear on the interstate just to keep the 4R from gear searching.

Whippersnapper02 02-28-2021 03:03 PM

Paul K,

If it's gear hunting, downshift. Use that S mode that everyone thinks is a sport mode but isn't. It's an anemic V6 that groans when you ask for any kind of power.

The 3.5 in the turd gen Tacoma is worse so be thankful it isn't that engine.

Teamoatmealpie 02-28-2021 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Bronson (Post 3610036)
We've owned our 2020 ORP since July. Yesterday we drove 200 miles to Wichita which was through a constant 20mph+ headwind and lots of very long and steep hills through the Flint Hills of south central Kansas. The 4runner was constantly bouncing between 5th and 4th. Then when you'd get past the grade, it took forever to upshift to 5th. I could remedy this with a simple tap of the accelerator to force the upshift. The truck only managed 16mpg too. LOL Towards the end of trip I learned the key was to keep it under 78mph and when in cruise control, give it a little throttle myself going up hills to unlock the torque converter in 5th gear to keep it from downshifting to 4th.

Whoever at Toyota did the shift logic should be shot. It is seriously bad in those situations. There is no need for a downshift into 4th. Simply unlocking the torque converter in 5th is enough for those types of grades. It's as if the trans ecu doesn't recognize that 5th gear torque converter unlock is an option. I tried also using the manual mode function with it in 5th but it didn't help.

For those that have throttle enhancers like the Sprint Booster, does your 4runner exhibit this annoying behavior?

I find the Sprint Booster will down shift earlier, but then wont up shift and will hang in that lower gear, at higher RPMS. Even when it feels like has achieved enough speed to up-shift, it wont.

I kept my SB push button changer mounted on dash so, when I hit the highway I turn it off, if I know I am headed over the mtns.

BigGy 02-28-2021 06:21 PM

Is what it is. Put yer foot in it. Actually DRIVE your vehicle....vs....wanting the OEM to program it so it feels 'nice' to you. YMMV, of course.