Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   2017 Limited Audio System Reboots (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/295402-2017-limited-audio-system-reboots.html)

SKUDZUKI 03-02-2021 09:06 AM

2017 Limited Audio System Reboots

Greetings,

I have searched and found threads where other's audio systems would reboot spontaneously (which is what mine is doing). Seems that a lot of the solutions had to do with removing their phone.

My system starting doing the reboot thing out of the blue after four years and 100k miles. I had recently updated my my phone to IOS 14.4 so I thought that might have been the problem so I deleted my phone out of the system. Still doing the reboot thing. The only other change was a map upgrade via a new SD card (from Amazon), but I am pretty sure that the problem started a couple of months after I updated the map.

I found an update for the system here: Toyota Downloads. The file name is 13TDANNA-DA11_0146.kwi. I tried to link a pic of what is on my system now , but could not get it to work.

Do any of you think that this update may fix the problem? I don't think there is any way to go back to a previous version.

Thanks In Advance!

wolfbbg 03-02-2021 10:11 PM

Howdy,

My 2015 Limited started doing the same thing about a year ago. Mine would also drop calls after about 1-2 minutes >80% of the time. The dealer reflashed the radio once, then had me do a hard reset on the radio once, and neither of those items fixed it. I couldn't figure out how to reflash the radio myself.

I went back a third time (Thankfully I was covered by a $0 deductible extended warranty), and they replaced the head unit -- estimated $1800 parts & labor. It has worked fine ever since. Since it worked fine from 2019-2020, I believe that there was some type of hardware failure.

If it ever fails outside of warranty, I would look into an aftermarket option from Crutchfield. I think it would be a bit cheaper than the OEM and would be compatible with Apple CarPlay.

good luck! ben

SKUDZUKI 03-03-2021 09:06 AM

I will mention that I have a Crux Avity 101 kit installed - its an inline harness. This removes restrictions that require the vehicle is not moving for GPS input. It also adds AV in to the head unit. I will take this out to see if the problem remains.

Thanks for the reply.