Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Magnets as mounts on frame (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/295491-magnets-mounts-frame.html)

rageandlove 03-04-2021 11:20 PM

Magnets as mounts on frame

Has anyone ever used magnet(s) to mount something (e.g. rock lights) on their frame instead of drilling?

It seems like a good way to get a solid mount for a light in a way that's non-destructive. I'm just wondering if it is likely to lead to any premature rust or the like. I can't see how it would be a problem - the ones I've found are all powder coated - but figured it could not hurt to ask.

Whippersnapper02 03-04-2021 11:24 PM

The magnet would weaken over time or a hard hit would jar it loose. Don't forget direct hits.

grizzlypath 03-05-2021 12:04 AM

I like the idea for temporarily mounting rock lights or something, that's a pretty cool idea. Pop them off when you're just daily driving, but when you go out throw them on.

If you are concerned about the strength of magnets, our frames have a lot of pre-threaded holes you could probably just run a single bolt in snug to hold lights on and then pop it out when you don't want them. BUndle up the wiring and disconnect from some sort of 12V quick disconnect like an Anderson Connector.

TexasTJ 03-05-2021 02:18 AM

Lux rock lights use magnets for mounting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srsrogerissrs 03-05-2021 02:44 AM

The frame has a lot of pre-drilled/tapped holes that might not be used that you can utilize. I used some rivnuts and existing holes to mount my rock lights. No drilling needed.

jhguth 03-05-2021 09:50 AM

i've seen people use cheap magnet mount lights for rock lights and even ditch lights and they worked fine

MStudt 03-05-2021 10:44 AM

I've had a set of rock lights installed for close to 3 years on my 3rd Gen with nothing more than magnets. They've never fallen off or even had to be repositioned. If you go this route use some N52 Neodymium magnets that are magnetized through thickness.

Mike

rageandlove 03-05-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MStudt (Post 3612169)
I've had a set of rock lights installed for close to 3 years on my 3rd Gen with nothing more than magnets. They've never fallen off or even had to be repositioned. If you go this route use some N52 Neodymium magnets that are magnetized through thickness.

Mike

Thanks @MStudt - appreciate the reply. I bought two of these to experiment with (largely because they came powder coated).

Amazon.com: Magnet Adapter Kit for ORACLE car LED Rock Lights – Automotive LED Rock Light Kit Adapter for Easy Installation (Single) - Part # 5848-504: Automotive

But I think I'm going to to ultimately use some I found online that have a rubber boot so that there's less chance of wearing through the frame paint over time.

Do you recall how much "pull force" your have? The brackets I have are aluminum and the lights don't weigh a lot so it seems 40-60 lbs should be plenty to keep things seated.

The places I am going to put them are above the suspension, so I'm not too worried about them getting directly hit unless something catastrophic happens, in which case the rock lights wont be my worry :-)

MStudt 03-05-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageandlove (Post 3612191)
Thanks @MStudt - appreciate the reply. I bought two of these to experiment with (largely because they came powder coated).

Amazon.com: Magnet Adapter Kit for ORACLE car LED Rock Lights – Automotive LED Rock Light Kit Adapter for Easy Installation (Single) - Part # 5848-504: Automotive

But I think I'm going to to ultimately use some I found online that have a rubber boot so that there's less chance of wearing through the frame paint over time.

Do you recall how much "pull force" your have? The brackets I have are aluminum and the lights don't weigh a lot so it seems 40-60 lbs should be plenty to keep things seated.

The places I am going to put them are above the suspension, so I'm not too worried about them getting directly hit unless something catastrophic happens, in which case the rock lights wont be my worry :-)

The ones I used have a pull force of 70lbs, and were about $4 each. Here's what I'm using.

Mike

rageandlove 03-05-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MStudt (Post 3612194)
The ones I used have a pull force of 70lbs, and were about $4 each. Here's what I'm using.

Mike

Thanks for the link. How did you attach the light (assuming you were using a bracket or something) to the magnet?

MStudt 03-05-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageandlove (Post 3612199)
Thanks for the link. How did you attach the light (assuming you were using a bracket or something) to the magnet?

I cut some metal base plates that I attached the lights to, and sandwiched the magnet between than and the frame.

Mike

ryguytheman 03-05-2021 01:20 PM

I use magnets to hold my license plate onto the front bumper. Has never budged unless I pull it off myself. Though I would remove it prior to running through a car wash.

https://i.imgur.com/WwX1kqo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/u5NsRBi.png

rageandlove 03-05-2021 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryguytheman (Post 3612240)
I use magnets to hold my license plate onto the front bumper. Has never budged unless I pull it off myself. Though I would remove it prior to running through a car wash.

That's slick @ryguytheman . I like the screw mount and the magnets appear to be covered w something. Is that rubber? I see a few kinda like it on Amazon.

(The brackets I made are aluminum, so I need to tweak the solution that MStudt shared a bit.)

ryguytheman 03-05-2021 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageandlove (Post 3612389)
That's slick @ryguytheman . I like the screw mount and the magnets appear to be covered w something. Is that rubber? I see a few kinda like it on Amazon.

(The brackets I made are aluminum, so I need to tweak the solution that MStudt shared a bit.)

Yeah, it's worked out great. They are coated in some sort of plastic. Not shown in my above pictures is the felt I glued to the back of the magnets to keep them from scraping the powdercoat. I got them from the below website.

Got the idea from a member on this forum, Friggin Idiot.

K&J Magnetics: RX436DCSPC-BLK