Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Procharger install thread (this will take awhile) (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/295534-procharger-install-thread-will-take-awhile.html)

scratchhax 03-06-2021 09:55 PM

Procharger install thread (this will take awhile)

I pulled the trigger on a procharger complete kit for my 5th gen today. They are several weeks behind on shipping so my install date is April 5th (yes I know I could probably do it myself, time is not something I have a lot of so to the shop it goes!).

I'll keep this thread updated as we go along, but here is where we are on day 1.
I'm starting with a 2019 offroad premium
full skids (including gas tank) and rear bumper from victory
Warn semi hide front bumper and 10s winch
Icon stage 3 lift and 33 inch Falcons

It's a porky boy with about 12k miles on it (thanks covid) that gets about 16mpg on the highway and 13 in the city.
I've removed the S&B CAI and brought it back to stock (required for the procharger warranty and tune) and will spend the next few weeks trying to purge the fuel system and get to 91 octane.

I've ordered the procharger full system with helical gears and the aftermarket bumper intercooler.

The shop I'm using has done lots of magnusons and a few prochargers on tacomas, I think I'll be their first 4runner procharger. They are billing me for 10 hours.

firegod33r 03-07-2021 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scratchhax (Post 3612789)
I pulled the trigger on a procharger complete kit for my 5th gen today. They are several weeks behind on shipping so my install date is April 5th (yes I know I could probably do it myself, time is not something I have a lot of so to the shop it goes!).

I'll keep this thread updated as we go along, but here is where we are on day 1.
I'm starting with a 2019 offroad premium
full skids (including gas tank) and rear bumper from victory
Warn semi hide front bumper and 10s winch
Icon stage 3 lift and 33 inch Falcons

It's a porky boy with about 12k miles on it (thanks covid) that gets about 16mpg on the highway and 13 in the city.
I've removed the S&B CAI and brought it back to stock (required for the procharger warranty and tune) and will spend the next few weeks trying to purge the fuel system and get to 91 octane.

I've ordered the procharger full system with helical gears and the aftermarket bumper intercooler.

The shop I'm using has done lots of magnusons and a few prochargers on tacomas, I think I'll be their first 4runner procharger. They are billing me for 10 hours.

Just curious, why did you go with procharger vs Magnuson?

rdruss 03-07-2021 03:12 PM

This will be interesting. I would prefer the ProCharger too if I were to add boost. Keep us posted!

scratchhax 03-07-2021 04:32 PM

They were both the same cost in the end, but I tend to be a grandpa driving around town and liked the idea of the power only coming on when I wanted it to help on wear and tear. And...let's be honest....

blow off valve sounds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by firegod33r (Post 3612873)
Just curious, why did you go with procharger vs Magnuson?

scratchhax 03-14-2021 01:16 PM

I've contacted procharger a few times with some additional questions.

Q: What happens if I get into some bad gas that isn't 91+?
A: Don't.
Q: Ok yeah but.....
A: You could use an octane booster, but you'll need to do the math to make sure the ratios are correct and really, they aren't great. So just don't. (My note, I'll probably fill up the gas cans with 93 when I know I'm gonna be out in the sticks)

Q: Do I need a new fuel pump? The URD which generates roughly the same HP requires one.
A: No

Q: What about plugs?
A: You should switch to NGK 7505s gapped at .035. (My note, everyone says these don't fit the 4runner but I think it's just because the temp range is different. Physical size and electrical characteristics seem identical)

Q: Can I only get the drive belt from procharger?
A: It's a standard part you should be able to order at any parts store

Q: Is their any CAI or catback exhaust that won't void the warranty/tune?
A: crickets

M_RED 03-26-2021 12:44 PM

I can't wait to see a before and after dyno sheet...

I think a lot of people's misconceptions about this type of blower are going to be shattered...

scratchhax 03-27-2021 09:39 AM

One week to go

I drop it off at the shop next weekend. We're going to replace the plugs with one temp range colder (NGK 7505) while it's there and it looks like I will be able to get some before and after Dyno time. I've run 3 tanks of 93 octane through it and did a fresh oil change just because.

Skidmarcx 03-29-2021 11:42 PM

Staying tuned...

scratchhax 03-30-2021 12:31 PM

Covid strikes again, Just heard from the shop that procharger is running a few weeks behind and we just had to push to the 28th of April. On the plus side, I'll be 100% clear of low octane fuel by then :D

WhiteMudhorn 03-30-2021 01:00 PM

I'm subscribed as well. I'm intrigued.

Whippersnapper02 03-30-2021 01:03 PM

Awesome dude! I'd suggest installing an AUX trans cooler.

scratchhax 03-30-2021 02:17 PM

Yeah I think that's gonna be on the shortlist of upgrades. I've got good temp measurements from running torque basically since I bought the thing so I'm real curious to see what the extra horsepower does to the overall numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whippersnapper02 (Post 3622045)
Awesome dude! I'd suggest installing an AUX trans cooler.

Whippersnapper02 03-30-2021 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scratchhax (Post 3622071)
Yeah I think that's gonna be on the shortlist of upgrades. I've got good temp measurements from running torque basically since I bought the thing so I'm real curious to see what the extra horsepower does to the overall numbers.

One guy on FB fried his trans with a procharger setup.

NorthPark 03-30-2021 02:33 PM

Awesome I subscribed as well, I've been looking at the URD which just came back in stock recently but this will be interesting to follow.

I don't blame you for having a shop do the install. Even though I can handle it myself, between the possibility of a warranty claim dealing with the vendor, etc..I'm sure it will be worth while to have a shop install it.

08TxRunner 03-30-2021 06:13 PM

Very odd to put a centrifugal on an engine that has peak hp at 5,600 and peak torque at 4,400. I've owned three procharged cars and know very well how they behave. I think the useable rpm under the curve will be very narrow.