Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Skid Plates: RCI, CBI, or Other (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/295582-skid-plates-rci-cbi-other.html)

Mudhorn 03-08-2021 01:42 PM

Skid Plates: RCI, CBI, or Other

Looking for updated feedback on product experiences to decide which company to purchase skid plates from. Thank you

gsla72 03-08-2021 02:22 PM

Running RCI on mine front to back including the fuel tank. Mainly chose them due to the availability/design of their TRD pro integration plate. I already had the TRD pro skid and didn't want to deal with having to change that to something else.

Overall experience was great. Ordering process was easy, they arrived well packaged within the approximate delivery/production times, and the installation instructions were good. Fit and finish with all pieces is excellent.

I opted for the non-powdercoat version to keep costs down.

SilverTEP 03-08-2021 02:33 PM

I've been eyeing Budbuilt stage 2 armor. The skid plates connect from front to back, and the front skid plate protects the alignment bolts on front LCAs, which RCI doesn't.

10-20 4Runner (Rock Armor) - Stage 2 | BudBuilt Skid Plates

Arnezie 03-08-2021 02:42 PM

RCI here and love it. I only have the engine skid right now but adding more soon. Also I have and like the aluminum version. Looks great on and no issues at all. No rock climbing for me only sand and tree stumps and the aluminum protects great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whippersnapper02 03-08-2021 02:58 PM

I went Bud Built Overderping Stage 1. I didn't see a need for thicker steel since I don't rock crawl and I didn't want aluminum because it gouges and tears. I like their multiple piece design so I can replace sections as needed if they do get beat up badly. The wait was long but worth it. As straight forward as it seems, I'm actually having difficulty installing. Wouldn't be the first time but no instructions were included about the OEM bracing. Otherwise the product looks really good.

hardyplante 03-08-2021 02:59 PM

I'm patiently awaiting my C4 full skid package to arrive.... I'll let you know what I think when it gets here. Ordered a couple mmonths back in a sale. If I didn't get such a good deal I was either looking at RCI or LFD

apohl17 03-08-2021 03:05 PM

Full CBI steel set on mine... Are great, heavy duty... just find it easier to do an oil change with the front skid off.

TRD PANTHER 03-08-2021 03:11 PM

Ordered the new design C4 rear skid plate, protects the transmission, transfer case and part of the exhaust, along with the TRD Pro integration plate with oil change access for my Pro. Wider coverage than the others. Received a 10% welcome first time purchase coupon and no taxes to California, which is rare nowadays. Shipping was expensive as these are all 3/16” steel, but the discount and no taxes covered it. $675 delivered to SoCal. Check them out.
4Runner Rear Skid Plates / 5th Gen / 2010+ - C4 Fabrication
4Runner TRD Pro Integration Skid Plate / 5th Gen / 2014+ - C4 Fabrication

rageandlove 03-08-2021 03:32 PM

I have RCI except for the fuel tank skid. Their fuel tank skid design is not ideal, since the front end is fairly exposed to stuff being kicked (rocks, branches, etc.) There is a thread somewhere of some guy that added a bunch of extra aluminum to the front of his after he ran into problems.

I went with the Rago fuel tank skid instead - it does a much better job of covering the front end is no more expensive, and they will make it in aluminum or steel to match whatever else you decide. Highly reccomended.

salsanacho 03-08-2021 04:04 PM

I have RCI but if I were to do it again, I'd go with CBI. The CBI plates have wide "wings" that provide more protection and also help cover the catalytic converters to prevent theft.

lewdog998 03-08-2021 04:05 PM

RCI aluminum full set with TRD integration. I am big on keeping weight down and if 1/4 inch aluminum is not enough, I need a trail specific rig. Also, they are not that expensive and can be replaced if damaged.

mteolus 03-08-2021 04:14 PM

I have RCI full skids including the gas tank. No problems with them at all. I bought aluminum for weight savings, although I rattled canned my front skid as the aluminum does get discolored and I got sick of polishing it. I just had them powdercoat the aluminum skid on the gas tank since I bought it later. The other two are not painted but they are not visible. The RCI skid that goes over the exhaust pipe I have heard causes some rattling on some but I haven't had that problem. Wanderlost Overland bought LFD to solve their problem with this. Go to 6:40 of this video.

mrblah 03-08-2021 05:58 PM

RCI because they are probably the best quality at their price point. Sure there are more expensive ones out there that are just as good, but i didn't see the point.

I have RCI everything...they did redesign their gas tank skid just FYI.

Krayziekid 03-08-2021 06:08 PM

Another happy RCI customer here. Had their sliders and front skid on my 4th gen and was super happy with them. When I sold it and got my 5th gen, I went RCI again.

Front, trans, tcase skids in aluminum to keep weight down and since I don't do a ton of hardcore rock crawling. Painted them black myself and basically touch them up once a year. Also have their sliders and love them.

5thToy 03-08-2021 08:28 PM

I can't think of anything negative to say about my RCI aluminum skid set. Quick shipping, good quality and fit.