Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Synthetic/conventional mix (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/295779-synthetic-conventional-mix.html)

5VZ-FE 03-14-2021 08:53 PM

Synthetic/conventional mix

I just did an oil change and realized I accidentally put a 2 qts. of conventional oil in with my synthetic oil. I’m well aware of how stupid that was but I was rushing and had an extra 2 qts. laying around and I didn’t realize until I was done. Anyone know if it’s gonna be an issue? I’ve asked a couple sources:

My dad said that it used to be an issue but he doesn’t think it is anymore.

My uncle said the same thing, and my cousin called me an idiot.

I spent some time on Google, which said that it used to be an issue but isn’t anymore. I’m not sure if this means that oils have changed, or if this only applies to new cars…

Obviously I’d really like to not do another oil change, but I will if its an issue. I’m going down to Mojave this weekend so I want to make sure I’m in good condition.

I have 18 miles on the oil change.

Thanks

spartacus 03-14-2021 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5VZ-FE (Post 3616017)
I just did an oil change and realized I accidentally put a 2 qts. of conventional oil in with my synthetic oil. I’m well aware of how stupid that was but I was rushing and had an extra 2 qts. laying around and I didn’t realize until I was done. Anyone know if it’s gonna be an issue? I’ve asked a couple sources:

My dad said that it used to be an issue but he doesn’t think it is anymore.

My uncle said the same thing, and my cousin called me an idiot.

I spent some time on Google, which said that it used to be an issue but isn’t anymore. I’m not sure if this means that oils have changed, or if this only applies to new cars…

Obviously I’d really like to not do another oil change, but I will if its an issue. I’m going down to Mojave this weekend so I want to make sure I’m in good condition.

I have 18 miles on the oil change.

Thanks

If both oils were the same weight, I dought it will effect performance.

5VZ-FE 03-14-2021 09:15 PM

Yeah, they're both 10w-30. Thanks!

rdruss 03-14-2021 09:39 PM

No problem, now you have a synthetic blend instead of full synthetic. Run it till next change and then pay more attention.

Ed_C 03-14-2021 09:48 PM

You'll be ok.

LittleCaesar 03-14-2021 09:52 PM

No cause for concern.

G_Raw 03-14-2021 10:40 PM

No issue. Honestly I'm not convinced there is any 100% synthetic. They all use conventional to some extent and synthesize the rest. So you got a blend and even full synthetic are technically blends to a degree. With that said I'm a fan of conventional for our motors given the era they were made unless you've modified for forced induction synthetic not necessarily needed and due to its thinner finer particles you may see leaks using synthetic sooner then if thicker conventional oil were uses. Sure you can get by using synthetic longer for more miles. But most of us here are current and keep current on routine fluid changes and check so conventional is my preferred

5VZ-FE 03-14-2021 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G_Raw (Post 3616078)
No issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleCaesar (Post 3616049)
No cause for concern.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed_C (Post 3616047)
You'll be ok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdruss (Post 3616039)
No problem.

Thanks guys!

gamefreakgc 03-14-2021 11:33 PM

Seeing how forgiving these engines are, one could run ATF in the engine and it'll still truck on.

Please don't try it though.

19963.4lsr5 03-15-2021 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefreakgc (Post 3616109)
Seeing how forgiving these engines are, one could run ATF in the engine and it'll still truck on.

Please don't try it though.

I actually ran a qt in my old 96 Saturn to try and help uncoke the oil rings. It would use a qt every 1000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad Luck 03-15-2021 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3616186)
I actually ran a qt in my old 96 Saturn to try and help uncoke the oil rings. It would use a qt every 1000 miles.

Works pretty good at gently cleaning sludge deposits too. A little more aggressive than regular oil, but way more gentle than an engine flush additive etc.

Kanoe 03-15-2021 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3616186)

Did it help? The 7afe in my corolla has a bit of an oil drinking problem too. Known to foul the rings.

19963.4lsr5 03-15-2021 12:12 PM

Synthetic/conventional mix

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanoe (Post 3616253)
Did it help? The 7afe in my corolla has a bit of an oil drinking problem too. Known to foul the rings.

I used the ATF as a make up oil sometimes also. It helped. I eventually halved my oil consumption it 1/2qt per 1000 miles.

Diesel oil works good also. 5w30 Rotella T5.

BJ109 engine flush is another great product.

I did the ATF, Diesel oil, and the BG109. Over time I got it to 1/2qt per 1000. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...a8fc66749a.jpg

3bears 03-15-2021 12:36 PM

as far as the OP.....you will be fine.

off main topic but fits with above posts....
on the ATF in oil talk....at a shop I used to work at, we would occasionally flush an engine with ATF to unstick rings etc. On really bad ones, we would put atf directly into the cylinders and let it soak a day or two, spin it with plugs out to get rid of it. If doing a head gasket job, we would pull the heads, scrape off piston tops and then put atf in the cylinders and let soak while heads were off.
this is just what the old man and owner of shop had us do. so we did ( yes boss). I did see it unfreeze a tractor motor that had filled with water in the cyliders and sat for a year. ( that was a 50/50 mix of atf and acetone...sat for a few days and then it would spin,...pumped stuff out and started) The old guy swore by that mix.

If this new to me rig had not passed a compression check, i would have tried atf in the cylinders and let soak.

try at your own risk

Bad Luck 03-16-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bears (Post 3616303)
as far as the OP.....you will be fine.

off main topic but fits with above posts....
on the ATF in oil talk....at a shop I used to work at, we would occasionally flush an engine with ATF to unstick rings etc. On really bad ones, we would put atf directly into the cylinders and let it soak a day or two, spin it with plugs out to get rid of it. If doing a head gasket job, we would pull the heads, scrape off piston tops and then put atf in the cylinders and let soak while heads were off.
this is just what the old man and owner of shop had us do. so we did ( yes boss). I did see it unfreeze a tractor motor that had filled with water in the cyliders and sat for a year. ( that was a 50/50 mix of atf and acetone...sat for a few days and then it would spin,...pumped stuff out and started) The old guy swore by that mix.

If this new to me rig had not passed a compression check, i would have tried atf in the cylinders and let soak.

try at your own risk

I've used the 50/50 trans fluid/acetone as a penetrating oil. It works pretty good too.