Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Stock Panasonic Battery Life (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/295869-stock-panasonic-battery-life.html)

vondy21 03-17-2021 10:46 AM

Stock Panasonic Battery Life

How long have most of you guys been going on the stock battery?

My truck is about 3.5 years old. Just dropped off for an oil change and 35K service at the dealer. They of course sent me a list of items that need replacing. Rear brakes, brake flush, cabin filter, and stated the battery failed and needs replacing.

Seems like a lot of you guys are going 7 years on a stock battery.

I'm in Texas so the battery is subjected to quite a bit of hot weather but the last year I've been working from home since Covid so the 4Runner has only been seeing a couple of drives a week. I've tried to make sure I've driven long enough each week to keep her charged up.

Just curious, I never really trust the dealerships. I have a pack of cabin filters, why would anyone pay $50 for one at the dealer? Can do the brakes myself and will of course buy a battery elsewhere if needed.

Thanks

bear1998 03-17-2021 10:58 AM

My 2004 SR5 Sport had the original Panasonic battery in it for 10 years (2014).....replaced it with an Interstate n it still there today. I would have used another Panasonic however....you cant get them in the states for some (stupid) reason...

5thToy 03-17-2021 11:00 AM

You might stop at a local auto parts store and have them test the battery for overall health and CCAs. It takes a couple of minutes and you will have an independent battery check so you will know whether or not the dealer is just trying to upsell.

ahtoxa11 03-17-2021 11:05 AM

I find that batteries are all over the place. I've had stock batteries go 10+ years and I've had stock batteries fail within 1.5. I think it's less a matter which battery but more the conditions in which it exists. If you see extreme temps, especially heat, it will make the battery more susceptible to sudden failure and overall decreased life.

NorthPark 03-17-2021 11:27 AM

Going on 4 years but I'm tempted to order a group 34 battery box in the event mine does die, since it hits like 120f out here during the summer and seems to kill batteries

vondy21 03-17-2021 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahtoxa11 (Post 3617215)
I find that batteries are all over the place. I've had stock batteries go 10+ years and I've had stock batteries fail within 1.5. I think it's less a matter which battery but more the conditions in which it exists. If you see extreme temps, especially heat, it will make the battery more susceptible to sudden failure and overall decreased life.

Yeah I have found in Texas most batteries I have had had only lasted around 3 years. The battery in my wife's Odyssey lasted just over 1.5 years and was replaced under warranty.

I was hoping with the good things I've read about the Panasonic that it would go longer, will test it myself or bring to an auto shop.

Irish Mike 03-17-2021 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It really depends on climate and use. I have attached a photo of what they say is normal depending on the region you live in.

4FL 03-17-2021 11:43 AM

Mine lasted a few months short of six years, but needed replaced probably a few or several months before that. I ran it to the end, it would not even crank over in the dealer parking lot when I picked up my new battery, lol, so changed it right there.

I say it should have been changed several months prior because I did notice the struggling when starting.

I live in Miami for reference, so basically hot and warm year round. But for most of this time, I lived in a condo and parked in a parking garage, so out of direct sun and I did not drive much, most of my miles are highway miles as I work from home, so no daily commute, had the shade temperature thing going. The last two years of the battery's life, I moved to a house and the 4runner sat outside in the sun.

vondy21 03-17-2021 12:02 PM

So has anyone put a replacement battery in that last longer in the hot states? Don't want to go the super expensive route but if I can get one to last twice as long I would not mind going $250 or so.

What I don't want to do is go the Autozone route where their batteries seem to die every 2 years and you are caught up in their prorate warranties.

I had a blue top optima in my boat I owned for about 10 years. Charged it in the Spring every year and never had it die on me. That was a deep cycle though. Not sure how much better their batteries are in trucks.

MyanRagahis 03-17-2021 12:29 PM

Bought my 4Runner in September of 2016. Just replace the battery on last month.
So 4.5 years-ish
I think I could have gone a bit longer but that winter storm a few weeks ago really killed it. I was jump starting it for the next 3 days after that with my NOCO lol.

Replaced it with an interstate battery from Costco.

meltdown 03-17-2021 01:51 PM

I got 5 years out of mine.

fkheath 03-17-2021 02:38 PM

Like others, I've had OEM batteries go bad in 3 years or so, then some go 5-8 years.

Really cold weather can also shorten battery life.

97BlackAckCL 03-17-2021 02:43 PM

My stock panasonic lasted for 3 years before I removed it and sat it in the garage, I put it in 6 years later for trade in and it still had juice. My wife's stock Panasonic on her Subbie had a bad cell and shit the bed after 3 years

fkheath 03-17-2021 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vondy21 (Post 3617203)
My truck is about 3.5 years old. Just dropped off for an oil change and 35K service at the dealer. They of course sent me a list of items that need replacing. Rear brakes, brake flush, cabin filter, and stated the battery failed and needs replacing.

Thanks

Since dealers make most of their money on service, my experience has been that they often suggested maintenance that is not really needed. Some are honest, but others have been right down dishonest. Thus, it can be helpful to get an independent recommendation from a knowledgeable auto service person.

I have learned to trust my local Toyota dealer, but my local Subaru dealer cannot be trusted because of all the false recommendations they have made in the past.

ElectroBoy 03-17-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Mike (Post 3617231)
It really depends on climate and use. I have attached a photo of what they say is normal depending on the region you live in.

This is a great map of what to expect. I live in the 4-5 zone and that’s what I get out of every battery I’ve had. They never have completely died but they crank slower.
I now have a NOCO battery tender that I use often, maybe it will squeeze some more life out of this OEM battery.