Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   01 4runner cranks but wont start (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/295970-01-4runner-cranks-but-wont-start.html)

D Farms 03-21-2021 04:28 AM

01 4runner cranks but wont start

Its been a while since I've been on here. I ended up picking up an 01 4runner(dorado gold, same color as my last one), and they were selling it because their mechanic told them the timing belt went and needed valve work. Well I'm no dummy, and know the 5vz is non interference. I cranked the engine before I bought it, and it cranked but did not fire. Luckily the truck had a winch and charged battery so i was able to load it on and off the U-Haul trailer by myself. I also assumed there was no compression, but apparently I was wrong.

I ordered the Denso timing belt service kit, and tonight I pulled the radiator and timing belt cover. to my surprise there was an intact and brand newish looking timing belt hiding underneath.

I turned the engine over and everything was moving, the belt and cams all appear to be spinning.

I then scoured the tubes, inter and You, and found a few threads of people with similar issues, with suggestions. Luckily I have an 02 5vz on an engine stand, in my garage that runs(RIP Goldilocks).

I tried swapping a few parts. I swapped the MAF, I swapped the Cam position sensor. I checked all of the fuses.

I assumed all 01-02 had the VIP system, but there is no security light, and the I was only given one key, without a fob. So i am unsure if I need a transponder fob or key like my 99 Landcruiser has to make it run.

I have the FSM, which is actually specific to the 01-02 if I recall, so ill run myself through the flow charts and see if that nets me anything.

I haven't checked for spark, but I do smell fuel, so ill check spark next, and ill try swapping the crank position sensor.

If you have any suggestions please let me know! Thanks!

Anyways hopefully soon ill be back in a 3rd gen soon, to be honest after driving a 100 series for a few years I wish I would have just gotten another 3rd gen instead.

D Farms 03-21-2021 05:26 AM

I swapped the crank position sensor over, no dice. It also occurred to me that perhaps not having the accessories spinning would also not allow it to start. I will have to wait till tomorrow to check for spark. and ill probably need to get a battery tender, the battery voltage is starting to die.

D Farms 03-21-2021 11:26 AM

So im not getting spark, I took one of the plugs and put it on a spare plug, then wedged it against the plenum and had my dad turn the engine over. no spark.

So I guess ill just go through the fsm flow chart now unless someone has a better idea.

spartacus 03-21-2021 11:27 AM

The symptoms remind me of mine When the fuel pump went out.

LittleCaesar 03-21-2021 11:50 AM

Bad igniter? I saw once where water got into one on a Tacoma and killed it. They had 12v from the connector but no fire out of it.

All grounds good?

Brian. 03-21-2021 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D Farms (Post 3618703)
I assumed all 01-02 had the VIP system, but there is no security light, and the I was only given one key, without a fob. So i am unsure if I need a transponder fob or key like my 99 Landcruiser has to make it run.

What's torque (or your OBDII scanner of choice) say? FWIW, it *will* spit out a code for the wrong key/immobilizer setting. I found that out myself earlier this week. Might take a number of cranks before it picks up....

That's my first though, it's the first thing that will absolutely keep the engine from firing in the chain of things that can go wrong/fail.

D Farms 03-21-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian. (Post 3618757)
What's torque (or your OBDII scanner of choice) say? FWIW, it *will* spit out a code for the wrong key/immobilizer setting. I found that out myself earlier this week. Might take a number of cranks before it picks up....

That's my first though, it's the first thing that will absolutely keep the engine from firing in the chain of things that can go wrong/fail.

Torque just has a stored code for a shift solenoid. One thing that was weird was one o2 sensor was reading 0 volts, the other was 3.2v. I have literally all the parts to swap and double check, so I can brute force if necessary, but i would prefer not to haha.

D Farms 03-21-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian. (Post 3618757)

Torque just has a stored code for a shift solenoid. One thing that was weird was one o2 sensor was reading 0 volts, the other was 3.2v. I have literally all the parts to swap and double check, so I can brute force if necessary, but i would prefer not to haha.

D Farms 03-21-2021 01:38 PM

I also have good reason to believe that key was used with the truck when it was running. The key the previous owner gave me had a bottle opener attached, and when you put it in the door theres a circular scratch from it swinging and hitting the door.

D Farms 03-21-2021 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleCaesar (Post 3618756)
Bad igniter? I saw once where water got into one on a Tacoma and killed it. They had 12v from the connector but no fire out of it.

All grounds good?

I swapped the igniter module, that didnt help.

Bad Luck 03-22-2021 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D Farms (Post 3618934)
I swapped the igniter module, that didnt help.

If you can find the testing procedures it might be worth checking your crankshaft position sensor

D Farms 03-22-2021 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3619178)
If you can find the testing procedures it might be worth checking your crankshaft position sensor

I already swapped it, and with torque I was able to verify that the ecu is seeing it as well.

D Farms 03-22-2021 09:50 PM

So while tracing wiring under the dash I discovered the truck has an elocker haha.

ambush 03-22-2021 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D Farms (Post 3619333)
So while tracing wiring under the dash I discovered the truck has an elocker haha.

Very nice..
Question that still remains, do you hear the fuel pump turn on before your try to crank? Turn to the on position. I literally replaced my fuel pump last weekend. it would crank but never start...
If you are savvy, trace the wire from the fuel pump put a test light on it.
If you turn it on and the light comes on then you have power going to the pump and pump is bad....
Let me know...

HiLife 03-23-2021 12:09 AM

Even though the ecu sees the ckps.
If that reluctor wheel (located on the crank) is missing a tooth, would it stop the ecu from sending a spark signal to the ignition coils?