Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Skid plates (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/296002-skid-plates.html)

shlasasha 03-22-2021 09:15 AM

Skid plates

Does SR5 has the same skid plates as TRD offroad(not Pro)?
Or SR5 has just plastic crap?
I mean if I go with SR5 do I need to factor in price of the skid plates, or they are standard and installed already?
Thanks!

fkheath 03-22-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shlasasha (Post 3619027)
I mean if I go with SR5 do I need to factor in price of the skid plates, or they are standard and installed already?
Thanks!

The SR5 comes with skid plates on the front (engine), transmission, transfer case and fuel tank. They are steel, but rather thin.

The best skid plate for the front is the Toyota TRD skid plate for it goes up higher in the front, nearly to the bottom of the front bumper.

For the rest, RCI makes a good skid plates. 2010 – 2021 4Runner – RCI Off Road

Also CBI: CBI Offroad Fab - Toyota 4Runner Full Skid Plates | 2010-2020 -

Tuco S. 03-22-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shlasasha (Post 3619027)
Thanks!

If you're planning on taking it off road and want to protect it from getting thrashed, I would budget for skid plates regardless of which trim level you buy, including the TRD Off Road and Pro. The oem on mine were just stamped metal. I think the total weight including the gas tank skid was less than 50 lbs.

jhguth 03-22-2021 10:39 AM

have you seen any lifestyle overland videos? Kevin's running the stock skid plates in those, yeah they are stamped metal but they aren't worthless.

hardyplante 03-22-2021 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuco S. (Post 3619060)
If you're planning on taking it off road and want to protect it from getting thrashed, I would budget for skid plates regardless of which trim level you buy, including the TRD Off Road and Pro. The oem on mine were just stamped metal. I think the total weight including the gas tank skid was less than 50 lbs.

This ^^^ The stock TRD skid is okay for most people's scenarios but if you do get into true wheeling you'll want the added piece of mind of some 3/16" steel (or 1/4" aluminum) down there. As stated above RCI makes some good skids. C4, LFD are a couple others to mention as well.

shlasasha 03-22-2021 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3619058)
The SR5 comes with skid plates on the front (engine), transmission, transfer case and fuel tank. They are steel, but rather thin.

Are they the same as TRD Offroad (or Trail in early 5Gen) I Understand TRD Pro is different I don't think I need that.

Cymon 03-22-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shlasasha (Post 3619208)
Are they the same as TRD Offroad (or Trail in early 5Gen) I Understand TRD Pro is different I don't think I need that.

They are the same skids on all of the models except for the front TRD Stamped aluminum skid on TRD Off-Road and Pro. On the SR5 and Limited you get 1/8" Front (engine) steel skid (same thickness as the rest of the OEM skids). Unless you will be immediately rock crawling, your best bet is to beat the OEM skids into submission and then upgrade (they do work). You're better off spending the skid $ on rock sliders instead IMO. None of the trucks from factory come with rocker protection, just side steps that = damage multipliers.

badattitude 03-22-2021 05:02 PM

Yes, the SR5 and the TRD Off road have the same metal skids. The OEM skids are just fine. Sliders area better first armor choice, IMHO. For aftermarket, I like RCI's raw aluminum skid. I used the stock skids on two 4runners and got an RCI for the low 4th gen.

The stock "skid plates" are in two pieces. Most after market skid plates replace both stock pieces with one piece. Sometimes its nice and easy to have them separate. Stock skids are easier to remove for some people. The front skid needs to be remove to change the oil filter. The "other/2nd piece" stock skid plate has a removable plate to access the oil drain. The second stock skid plate usually doesn't need to be removed for oil service. I let the front one hang, instead of removing it when I need to access the filter cartridge.

Ashevillian 03-22-2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhguth (Post 3619065)
have you seen any lifestyle overland videos? Kevin's running the stock skid plates in those, yeah they are stamped metal but they aren't worthless.

I'm pretty sure he upgraded to better skids! Watch some of the more recent videos.

rageandlove 03-22-2021 07:10 PM

If you are getting skids, do yourself a favor and skip the TRD Pro skid and just get the whole set from RCI, including the front.

The TRD Pro skid needs to be removed every oil change which is a hassle. Further, it's incredibly easy to strip the bolts that hold the damn thing on and then you have a bigger problem on your hands. Search for "TRD Skid Plate stripped" on this forum and you will see what I mean.

The RCI front skid has a nice little door to get the oil filter out so you don't have to take off the entire skid. So much better.

And unless you are doing real rock hopping, the aluminum is plenty. I've dragged my all over rocks and stumps and they work as intended.

91foxbody 03-22-2021 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhguth (Post 3619065)

I can’t imagine investing that much time and effort into a 4R and not putting skid plates on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tuco S. 03-23-2021 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91foxbody (Post 3619313)
I can’t imagine investing that much time and effort into a 4R and not putting skid plates on it.

I agree, but for those who live in places where off roading is mostly on soft soils, clays, grasslands, etc, the oem stamped metal skids might be adequate. Venturing out into places like the desert southwest with all the sharp limestone and caliche will chew them up rather quickly. I wouldn't even drive around the vacant lots in my neighborhood with those skids.

El Dusty 03-23-2021 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuco S. (Post 3619404)
I agree, but for those who live in places where off roading is mostly on soft soils, clays, grasslands, etc, the oem stamped metal skids might be adequate. Venturing out into places like the desert southwest with all the sharp limestone and caliche will chew them up rather quickly. I wouldn't even drive around the vacant lots in my neighborhood with those skids.

Im going on 5 years of trails in CO, UT & WY and my factory skids are in great shape with scratches + rust. They are perfectly adequate for most 5th gen drivers out there.

To each their own but my build is light and efficient. With only mods Ive gone out on trips/trails to realize I need. You may have realized that you need them but trying to convince others that they cant drive almost every track out there without them is just bad advice.

Tuco S. 03-23-2021 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dusty (Post 3619479)
Im going on 5 years of trails in CO, UT & WY and my factory skids are in great shape with scratches + rust. They are perfectly adequate for most 5th gen drivers out there.

To each their own but my build is light and efficient. With only mods Ive gone out on trips/trails to realize I need. You may have realized that you need them but trying to convince others that they cant drive almost every track out there without them is just bad advice.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. OP asked for opinions. As I said it depends on terrain.

You say factory skids are just fine on "almost every track out there." Sorry, totally disagree. It doesn't rain here often but when it does we get a lot of flash flooding, since the water doesn't permeate the soil. Even easy trails can get washed out and have plenty of nasty areas. It's just good insurance to have real armor even if you do your best to avoid the nasty spots. But hey, if oem works for you that's great.

jhguth 03-25-2021 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashevillian (Post 3619263)
I'm pretty sure he upgraded to better skids! Watch some of the more recent videos.

only after years and tens of thousands of miles offroading