Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Front shocks and springs options for 1.5" and 600ish lb/in? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/296046-front-shocks-springs-options-1-5-600ish-lb.html)

thezentree 03-23-2021 06:22 PM

Front shocks and springs options for 1.5" and 600ish lb/in?

I've currently got Toytec coilovers and 550lb springs set to roughly 1.5" of lift, but both front shocks are leaking.

I've added a plate bumper and winch, so I need stiffer coils.

Seems like anything Bilstein 5100 w/ OME coils is going to net me 2.5-3", which I want to avoid because my CVs vibrate like crazy above 1.5" at highway speeds.

What are my options besides threaded body coilovers? As I understand it 6112s are adjustable with the 600lb but that's getting into coilover money. Any other options?

Bad Luck 03-24-2021 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thezentree (Post 3619624)
I've currently got Toytec coilovers and 550lb springs set to roughly 1.5" of lift, but both front shocks are leaking.

I've added a plate bumper and winch, so I need stiffer coils.

Seems like anything Bilstein 5100 w/ OME coils is going to net me 2.5-3", which I want to avoid because my CVs vibrate like crazy above 1.5" at highway speeds.

What are my options besides threaded body coilovers? As I understand it 6112s are adjustable with the 600lb but that's getting into coilover money. Any other options?

Dobinsons has shocks/springs for us. A much less popular option but there are some reviews and info out there.
Dobinsons 2.0" Lift kit
Dobinson 2.inch lift kit vs Ome lift kit

3bears 03-24-2021 01:36 PM

I myself am leaning toward the dobinson 2 inch lift with the 134 and 137 springs as a kit, and the fronts assemebled.. Need heavier in the front for my arb and winch.
My last lift was 3 inch with billies and had no complaints . The lift b4 that was using 99 talls and KYB's ( b4 arb and winch) that gives you one inch and no need for diff drop or panhard correction. However in 2 years my rear kyb's were leaking....but it got pretty heavy use. with the one inch I could run the 265/75/16 on stock rims with no issues on light off road.
My current ride is so shot, ( just bought a few months ago) it wont fit even 70 series without rubbing so need to do something soon.

Vibration, you can put in a diff drop, which drops the diff about 1 inch and gets rid of that vibration and the extra wear on the cv's on 3 inch lifts. I will prob do the diff drop and the pan hard correction brackets with this new lift, even though im only going 2 inches. EK originally designed the panhard brackets for his 2 inch lift if I remeber correctly.

Ordering The dobson kits are so popular that they keep running out of them, so check on it, but dont be in a hurry. Same happens iwth the billies.

thezentree 03-29-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bears (Post 3619894)
I myself am leaning toward the dobinson 2 inch lift with the 134 and 137 springs as a kit, and the fronts assemebled.. Need heavier in the front for my arb and winch.
My last lift was 3 inch with billies and had no complaints . The lift b4 that was using 99 talls and KYB's ( b4 arb and winch) that gives you one inch and no need for diff drop or panhard correction. However in 2 years my rear kyb's were leaking....but it got pretty heavy use. with the one inch I could run the 265/75/16 on stock rims with no issues on light off road.
My current ride is so shot, ( just bought a few months ago) it wont fit even 70 series without rubbing so need to do something soon.

Vibration, you can put in a diff drop, which drops the diff about 1 inch and gets rid of that vibration and the extra wear on the cv's on 3 inch lifts. I will prob do the diff drop and the pan hard correction brackets with this new lift, even though im only going 2 inches. EK originally designed the panhard brackets for his 2 inch lift if I remeber correctly.

Ordering The dobson kits are so popular that they keep running out of them, so check on it, but dont be in a hurry. Same happens iwth the billies.

Oh man, I've been trying to solve the vibration thing for like three and a half years. I have replaced EVERYTHING that rotates in the front end. Multiple sets of wheels and tires, brakes, wheel bearings, multiple sets of CVs, ECGS front diff, with and without the diff drop. Same for the rear end. The only thing that so far keeps it at a reasonable level is to keep the lift under 1.5". I've given up trying to fix it, and just keep the lift low now.

I'll have to do some more digging on Dobinson's stuff. I want monotube shocks, but there's not a whole lot of info out there about their IMS line. That brand seems like it's really started to get popular over here in the last year or two though.

Condernr 03-29-2021 10:49 AM

I did a manual hub swap. Best thing for the vibration. Found a full set (spindles, hubs, and cv's) with 150k miles on them for $400. Took about an hour per side to swap out. Huge difference. Diff drops do nothing IMO.