Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Mountain (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/mountain/)
-   -   Utah trip... Looking for recommendations (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/mountain/296197-utah-trip-looking-recommendations.html)

DannyLlama 03-29-2021 02:23 PM

Utah trip... Looking for recommendations

Hi friends - we are heading out to Utah within the next few months. Specifically Zion and Bryce.

Looking for recommendations on some mild off road areas to explore (not camping). I use Gaia or coordinates if ya'll can be so kind

Thanks!

El Dusty 04-01-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyLlama (Post 3621656)
Hi friends - we are heading out to Utah within the next few months. Specifically Zion and Bryce.

Looking for recommendations on some mild off road areas to explore (not camping). I use Gaia or coordinates if ya'll can be so kind

Thanks!

In order of closest to furthest you should look at:
Dixie National Forest
Coral Pink Sand Dunes (Need a whip flag)
Hole in the Rock Road (West side)
Kaibab National Forest

Dirty401 08-03-2021 12:40 PM

If you haven't gone yet, my recommendation would be to include Capital Reef National Park (near Loa, UT) and the Kanab area where you can visit the White Pocket. Plan to spend at least a night near Coyote Cliffs in Arizona's Vermillion Cliffs national monument (just east of Kanab, UT). Kanab also used to be the place to stay to see the Wind Canyon but too many people visited without caring for it and the feds had to limit access to lottery. This area is relatively unknown so it's still fun to visit and camping is normally available

UtahJohn 08-13-2023 08:16 AM

I can see Zion from my neighborhood

The biggest thing around here is pay attention to rain in surrounding areas. People die every year at Zion from Flash flooding. Be aware and act accoringly and you'll be fine.

I would suggest using On-X off road to help you when your in the area.

We moved to the area two years ago and I learned much about the local trails and their difficulty level by watching "Matt's Off Road Recovery" channel on youtube, then researching the places he performs rescues.

My neighborhood borders Sand Hollow State Park, much of that is advanced off-roading. People get stuck in the sand there all the time.

All of Utah is beautiful, enjoy your trip!